Vacuum gauge - Edwards stationary- Summit handheld

Hi guys i need serious help what to go with, I simply have to shut down on studiying and buying for some weeks because its got to much.

The vacuum subject have been buggin me alot. basicly cant find either of the widely used gauges in europe, so need to pay expensive shipping and customs - had originally decided on cascade gauge, but shipping cost is extremly high with them compared to other places.

I found these 3 options. -

The newest version of Edwards 3 port gauge, no sensors 2 year Warranty . part number:D39700000
1340 dollars shipped
images

Older model of the one above Edward 3 port gauge part number: D39700000 same as newer model with 2x sensors of the version APG-M-NW16 ST/ST
1100 Dollars shipped
Edwards-TIC-200W-Turbo-Pump-Controller-Rebuilt-by-Provac

Also found 2 of that unit used for only 750 dollars shipped - no sensors.

From summit, handheld SVG-1
940 dollar shipped

The correct sensors for the edwards on this application would be these 2 right?
BOC-edwards-PK10-K-pirani-vacuum-gauge-mks 172793-a-BOC-Edwards-APGX-H-Convection-Vacuum-Gauge

Am i taking on to much hassle an cost assembling an high end Edwards system, compared to just buying the summit gauge with no hassle, and properly end up half the price.

Have not seen anybody use Edwards controllers even tho edwards pumps is the go to, how can that be? alot of edwars controllers availible in the states.

@Soxhlet youre the only one ive seen use Edwards sensors, could you pitch in pall?

The summit unit is a 536 version of bullseye with Bluetooth. You will find the most wide spread use and ability with it. There will always be cheaper guages and more expensive ones. The 536 Bluetooth bullseye model we sell as svg-1 is across the board very reliable and a industry standard. If you call the shop and mention this I can have someone give you a discount.

1 Like

@anon42519203 and myself also use Edwards pirani sensors

4 Likes

But ok what’s the glass wear setup like ?
What volume glasswear ?
What pump (s) connected and by wich means
What’s the pump setup like ?
What’s the spot you want to read vacuum ?

The Edwards PR 10 k is not the right one for it s reading band is to narrow

if youre going the edwards route the APG-L Pirani Gauges are the way to go, they offer two controllers the TIC and the ADC or something like that, the TIC is significantly more expensive but can read 3 to 6 gauges at a time. Ive seen a few people make their own controllers for the APG gauge with arduinos, I believe if you make it yourself the parts cost ~$45 Vacuum Gauge Display; Arduino Replaces Industrial | Hackaday

2 Likes

Hi,
We use two pirani guages like that, we have the PRE 10k models . They work well, Make sure you calibrate them.For the Instrumentation we are using an Edwards pirani 502, it has two channels for easy switching between sensors.

3 Likes

@Roguelab what sensors you use? i have hard time understanding the diffrent ones

guess you would want an ultra low like the pre10k if you can reach those depths, i dont know if i can that yet, and maybe i need a more with wider window if going that route, correct analyzed? :smiley:

plus a low-to-mid reading sensor?

@Soxhlet ye saw you were usings the 10k’s. They are calibrated by a pre calibrated tube right? - hehe thats analog gauge reader correct?, didnt even look at all those in my search.

One would think the edwards controllers would be a decent way to go, but fear if i can find the right sensor for the right price, its tempting to have gear thats build a “lab” feel, and are rocking it too. . - two sensors would be the ideel no?

@Bearschoice710 cheers, saw the ADC ones to ye, those are more like the widely used SVG-3 or stratavacs if im correct? - Some to think about, but putting it together might also cost as much as just buying a new svg-3 or this, wich cost about 966 dollar without shipping and a 536 sensor. StrataVac 2-point Vacuum System Controller Throttle Control Digivac

beeing from europe you go through alot of choices, it adds up real quick, just the custom cost i spend so far would have bought quite alot nice gear.

If i had the money, oh boii i would ofcourse buy the Apollo

@Killa12345 bro, i will still contact you soon. went of radar.

1 Like

If you contact me tomorrow I will get you a 20% off retail svg3 combo setup with built in uhvp board. I can do it for like 1600 with nist avs bench calibration.

2 Likes

Thats does sound good Elliot, if im advised by you guys to take that route i properly will. it does give peace of mind.

1 Like

Right now i was thinking between the two cold traps, thats how far my knowlegde go as of now to have been purchasing for reading there.

i have 2l setup from david and e2m28 pump that i cant test yet to know if needs rebuilding, then im forced to use my 11.3 cfm china pump, same as AI.

On the projected equipment I would take @spdking offer and build out when
More pumps get involved
I always find the handhelds nice to work with also their weight make them
Very useful in future setups where they do not bring much pressure on the glass
They are super handy when buying second hand pumps bring and check on the spot
All in all a tool that will have uses always
If you are to place it between coldtrap s
Make sure you find the right T for it

Do you need a controller, or just gauges?

This is a super cheap option

2 Likes

Edwards knows a thing or two about building pumps and instruments, so yeah Edwards is a safe bet. We run three sensors in the system currently, the upstream sensor is a thermocouple style gauge it is used until the diffusion pump is introduced to the system, then the pirani guages are used for the high vacuum work. We run a pirani in front of the diffusion pump and on the foreline.Be sure to mount your sensors behind the cold traps, or have a valve that can protect them.
The Edwards guages can be sent off for calibration or tuned with another calibrated guage, there is a small pot that can be rotated on the board for tuneing.

Hey guys! Thanks for all your response, i actually ended up purchasing the handheld SVG-1.

What made me go the cheaper route, I kinda already decided i wanna try to be the leading SPD guy in my country, so i took the cheaper choice in hope to pursue the Apollo later on! - that will properly be alot of dollars later. Hope to get started soon, dont need that much more.

Good thread tho, i didnt find any info on the edwards sensors onhere being leading in pumps, maybe i didnt search right.

• Great service from @spdking/Gina. - Appreciate adding the CB.

My place was shot up the other day buy psyko with hardball and steel balls, tried to knock my door down because i said shut up, had swat with m16s in my face and all sorts of shit so a bit allover the place

1 Like

Good choice
Damn take care of your self

1 Like

Thanks @Roguelab!

yea i need to move, i live worst place in this city because of downstairs neighbor.
had my door reinforced and getting a much newer door instead of one made of cardboard from the 70’s. he shot through the door mulitiple times to the stairway and then shot through my sight hole in the door with me on other side. stupid!

:joy::joy:. Dodging bullets
Damn lucky is wat you are
Be wellđź‘Ť

1 Like

The P3 is actually a combination of pirani and thermal couple… Between the two they give the difference and it makes it much more accurate… Either it’s a combined effort or one works up to atmosphere any other works down to de facto I can’t remember… But either way it’s extremely precise and honestly it goes with me anywhere and if I could have 10 I would choose them over any other gauge

2 Likes

Thanks for pitching in Sir BD. I didnt even come across that gauge but didnt look at handshelds either. Looks like a great and straight forward gauge and cost not even so bad, youre making me regret my purchase he he

Have hard time controlling my anxiety so been losing alot of days to it. so apologise for not reacting to response since youre the sensei i would want.