USPS seizes 400 lbs of hemp flower - Anyone know more details on this?

Another guy was busted for shipping hemp through USPS. Hurts seeing hard working people being labeled criminals and having to spend thousands defending themselves.

Does anyone know more about what happened and how we can all prevent it in the future?

Wrote an article based on what we know. https://fidefreight.com/2020/02/20/usps-seizes-400-pounds-of-hemp-claim-it-tested-positive-for-marijuana/

1 Like

They mailed a pallet of hemp through USPS? We would just use regular freight companies. I mean 400lbs that’s a super sack right?

4 Likes

I think they separated all the boxes and sent them one by one.

We only put about 120lbs in a 4x4x4 super sack to reduce mold issues… a 400lb super sack would be stuffed hard.

2 Likes

We have shipped some that weigh 500 lbs. Didn’t mold to the best of our knowledge. 4x4x4 supersacks.

3 Likes

Right. If it goes in at like 5% moisture not much is gunna happen. Especially if stored in a decent warehouse

1 Like

By the way, if your product does mold, we know of a processing facility that can remediate the mold from biomass. I would be more than happy to pass on his information :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve gone toe to toe with USPS after they seized my package of material; they initially said FU we’re keeping your stuff, I sent them this and they released it the same day. Note: the case law cited is linked, the USPS BMA attached identifies what you need to include in your hemp package. Feel free to cut and paste & use this using your details:

March 21, 2019

To: US Postal Service and US Postal Inspector:

Be advised this letter places the United States Postal Service on legal notice, please act accordingly.

Statements of Fact

1. On or about Monday 3/18/2019, USPS seized a package of industrial hemp samples (the “Package”) we sent to Praxis Labs 327 North Tower Ave Centralia, WA 98531, Tracking No. 9505515066349074238444.

2. The industrial hemp in the Package was third party tested and demonstrated THC content below .3% by dry weight (see attached certificate of analysis).

3. Praxis is a Washington State laboratory licensed to test industrial hemp.

4. On or about Tuesday 3/19/2019 I contacted Louis Meadows three times at USPS Centralia by telephone and once by email explaining we are a XXXXX State licensed industrial hemp grower Lic # XXXXXXXXX, and provided Mr. Meadows the details noted in #1-3 above. See XXXX LLC Industrial Hemp License attached.

5. On or about Wednesday 3/20/2019 I spoke with Jeff McClane US Postal Inspector, Seattle explaining details of #1-4 above.

6. On or about September 21, 2018 in KAB LLC v. UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE the court stated:

“Congress currently permits the interstate sale, transportation, and distribution of exempt industrial hemp pursuant to the most recent appropriations act, I find that exempt industrial hemp and products derived from industrial hemp are mailable.”

1. On or about March 4, 2019 US Postal Services adopted a “BMA Advisory” titled “Acceptance Criteria for Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil and Products Containing CBD”.

DEMAND FOR RELEASE OF PACKAGE AND REIMBURSEMENT

FOR PRIORITY MAIL POSTAGE

Our Package was seized by USPS and is being held in violation of legal precedents, US Postal BMA Advisory issued on or about March 4, 2019, the 2014 Farm Bill and the 2018 Farm Bill. It is hereby demanded USPS return Package to sender and refund the priority postage paid on Package. Failure to comply with this demand will result in swift legal action against all parties concerned.

SELF CERTIFICATION STATEMENT

SUBJECT TO FALSE STATEMENTS ACT 18 U.S. Code § 1001

I certify that all information contained in this letter and supporting documents are accurate, truthful, and complete. I understand that anyone who furnishes false or misleading information or omits information relating to this certification may be subject to criminal and/or civil penalties, including fines and imprisonment.”

Regards,

XXXXXX

XXXXXXX LLC

PHONE #
STATE LIC #

USPS-BMA Letter-Regarding-Updated-CBD-Shipping-Policies.pdf (1.2 MB)

27 Likes

How dare you stand up to the government.

8 Likes

Currently working on this issue. Compliance software from farm to finish, including lot test results and transfer tickets with all the relevant info. Available in about a week.

1 Like

There’s an awful lot of software solutions already targeted at hemp, what inclined you to produce your own?

1 Like

Another link about the story:

2 Likes

Anyone else find it weird the original source is a [competitor] freight company? Read the first like and could already feel the bias against USPS

Honestly, props to anyone willing to move hemp in bulk. It’s 50% legit shipping and 50% bootlegging in redneck states.

Most are standalone (single company data) and very expensive.

Ours is vertically integrated with workflows for farmers, processors, labs, transporters, regulators, and LEOs bringing all of that data into one place. Workflows are tailored around compliance (pre harvest reports, transfer tickets, etc) and nice to haves (batch tracking for processors, manufacturing processes unique to individual companies, inventory tracking).

Unlimited seats per company and works on all devices.

Part of our subscription fee includes our outreach to LEOs to educate them about this resource so that shipments don’t get seized in the first place.

7 Likes

This kind of thing makes my blood BOIL! Throwing people in jail over something that is completely legal and that the USPS has literally issued guidelines for shipping. They did say that the company at both ends must be licensed, and that is probably where these guys went wrong, but still. It is supposed to be completely legal federally to buy and sell industrial hemp.

1 Like

It is supposed to be. But you know that law enforcement is just looking for a reason to stop these shipments (and I don’t mean to bash our law enforcement). With so much at risk, we definitely need to cross our T’s and dot our I’s before sending our shipments.

1 Like

Nice! Keep up the hard work! Anything you can do to help the industry grow to be more efficient and prosperous.

@Dirteagle If you use USPS – just include the material identified in the BMA in every shipment.

why would i need any software etc for this? its literally a paper you copy and include in every shipment - what am i missing ?

My buddy who ships a ton of smokable hemp flower includes that, his COA, and a copy of his growers license, in ever package he sends. So far, no issues.

3 Likes