Using moonshine still for evaporation

Hey guys first post here! Apologies if this has been asked and answered 100 times on here, but are there any threads or videos showing how I would use a 5gallon moonshine still in place of a rotovap for ethanol evaporation? I’ve searched over the site the last few days and see some suggestions here and there but I’m hoping to see some more detailed info on this set up (if it’s even possible). This was the still I was looking at. Any info is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Same shit it will just run hotter

3 Likes

May as well just make one out of a beer keg tho a lot bigger

1 Like

Good news then. Need a solution to evaporate until I get the roto. Is there a thread with any tips or tricks using something like this?

Good info here.

1 Like

Set up something you can put under vacuum and heat via hot water bath. From personal experience, 190 proof ethanol and open flames can make for a bad time, and I’ve heard some horror stories with malfunctioning electric element heaters as well.

4 Likes

I used to run a keg fulla 190 on a crab pot cooker. Just can’t be a retard and have to watch it

2 Likes

Build a keg still u can order a column and tri clamp it on out it on a bayou cooker and put a weight set next to it so you have something to do for 14hours

2 Likes

I was thinking build one out of a keg to run under vac but you’d need a bigger condenser then the kind u can order on line

A shotgun condenser (tube/shell) should be sufficient, don’t you think?

http://stilldragon.com/index.php/components/condensers/product-condensers.html

1 Like

What size do you think for a keg?

I did it all the time as well until I finally had an accident. But yes, regardless, babysitting it is a must if you go that route.

2 Likes

Lol what happened?

The 2” might be sufficient. Definitely better than a simple liebig condenser, but it being stainless might require something larger. I’ve only used copper condensers. @Roguelab was just using what looked like a stainless Liebig on his rig though, so he may have some better insight on that.

It helps to pack the tubes in the shotgun

Are there any examples of this on any posts here?

1 Like

I was being messy with flour paste trying to seal a leak and apparently I ended up sealing the vent hole up top. Built up enough pressure to blow the paste out of the hole and ended up with a fountain of ethanol igniting when it hit the burner. Luckily I had my knife on me, so I cut the condenser hose (the threaded connection was engulfed in flames) and put it out quickly, but it was enough to scare the shit out of me and avoid charging my still with anything stronger than 100 proof. I was making vodka at the time.

2 Likes

Put a coil in between two purge pots

1 Like

Ahhh, packing the tubes makes a lot of sense. Some stainless scrubbies should do.

Oh shit so you had like a old school pot still? I see you alot on the color remediation thread. I build a pressure style media filter but my sintered disc popped the middle out. Have you have any experience in mixing the oil with carbon and t5 in a warm scrub?