Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

I’m not trying to build a whole ass lab at all. I’m just trying to make concentrates with my trim for my regulars that like dab. I’m such small scale, dealing with probably 1 liter of solution max at a time. There are no open flames anywhere, or sparks or any of that shit. There’s no way for the everclear to ignite at all.

If you’re near an open outlet or any appliance/ instrument that’s not ul listed you have spark.

What are some examples of things that would not be UL or ETL listed? I’m aware of outlets, but what else? I was under the impression that anything installed in any residence must be UL listed or they can’t install it. Excluding appliances you buy yourself.

It could be as simple as a fan to be honest. I’m not aware of what you have in your area, but some contractors tend to use shitty fixtures and on occasion doing electrical I’ve come across exposed wires in homes behind wall plates & or in breaker boxes, I always cap them or terminate the line completely if possible. Your cable tv box is a possibility as well, if you have one. In some cases light sockets can have exposure and cause fumes to go up as well.

I’m not in any way trying to down play your precautions you’ve taken thus far, just trying to help add some perspective to think about when doing such things even with etoh in a complex.

Just do your due diligence within all the aspects of your safety and those around you and I wish you good luck on your venture.

Also make sure you yourself are grounded literally, static is another factor to think about.

1 Like

Second :octopus::grinning:

1 Like

GFI Outlets are Recommended

ESD Shoe Straps are a solid choice too.

1 Like
1 Like

somebody is evaporating ethanol/ water in a vac chamber?? You were advised to do that?
you are trying to make dabs from your trim?
in an apartment building…???

some one here mentioned sifting trichomes with bags and ice cubes. I agree. Listen to what people are telling you.

2 Likes

For safety’s sake yes , one should most likely and probably be using solventless methods of making dabs if you’re in an apartment.

I just hate to be the one to say they sell home equipment for making dabs like the Source Turbo or the ETOH Pro…

Was this supposed to be aimed at me? I think this is supposed to be aimed at OP…

I just realized that after I commented

It was mistakenly appended as a reply to your notes.
No it was just some very simple advice for the OP.

Yes…that is exactly what I was saying.

1 Like

Yes, I’m using everclear. I’m not slamming cans of butane indoors in an apt. It’s not that dangerous. I guess every person who is making essential oils, lotion, and soap at home should stop and leave it to the professionals. Better not try flambe at home, oh man. Definitely better not be drinking at home. I guess every bar, club, and venue on the planet is the most dangerous place ever since that’s all they’re doing is slinging flammable solvents all over the place near appliances and outlets huh?

I’m not spraying everclear into my outlets or on electronics dude.

My opinion:
Some people can absolutely use solvents safely, however it’s not a given and “at home” generally means skimping on safety. Ethanol fumes are very flammable, not just the liquid. Proper ventilation is an absolute must for extraction areas, and sparks can ignite vapors even with good airflow. That’s why it’s recommended not to have any possible ignition points like plugs/outlets near areas that have flammable fumes. Accident prevention is 100% necessary when you are working with potentially dangerous chemicals and processes, especially in close proximity to others (shared walls). Better safe than sorry if it could mean lives. Regardless of what bars and clubs do, the ethanol they use is mostly diluted enough not to be flammable. You need certain liquor licenses to sell hard (flammable) alcohol. There are specific building (fire, electrical) codes depending on what type of business you are going to be running and how you use your flammable materials. Here’s an excerpt from the Arizona Fire Code, each state should have something similar:

Chapter 57 Flammable and Combustible Liquids

Section 5701 General

5701.1 Scope and Application

Prevention, control and mitigation of dangerous conditions related to storage, use, dispensing, mixing and handling of flammable and combustible liquids shall be in accordance with Chapter 50 and this chapter.

5701.2 Nonapplicability

This chapter shall not apply to liquids as otherwise provided in other laws or regulations or chapters of this code, including:

1. Specific provisions for flammable liquids in motor fuel-dispensing facilities, repair garages, airports and marinas in Chapter 23.
  2. Medicines, foodstuffs, cosmetics, and commercial, institutional and industrial products containing not more than 50 percent by volume of water-miscible liquids and with the remainder of the solution not being flammable, provided that such materials are packaged in individual containers not exceeding 1.3 gallons (5 L).
  3. Quantities of alcoholic beverages in retail or wholesale sales or storage occupancies, providied that the liquids are packaged in individual containers not exceeding 1.3 gallons (5 L).
  4. Storage and use of fuel oil in tanks and containers connected to oil-burning equipment. Such storage and use shall be in accordance with Section 603. For abandonment of fuel oil tanks, this chapter applies.
  5. Refrigerant liquids and oils in refrigeration systems (see Section 606 ).
  6. Storage and display of aerosol products complying with Chapter 51.
  7. Storage and use of liquids that have no fire point when tested in accordance with ASTM D 92.
  8. Liquids with a flash point greater than 95°F (35°C) in a water-miscible solution or dispersion with a water and inert (noncombustible) solids content of more than 80 percent by weight, which do not sustain combustion.
  9. Liquids without flash points that can be flammable under some conditions, such as certain halogenated hydrocarbons and mixtures containing halogenated hydrocarbons.
  10. The storage of distilled spirits and wines in wooden barrels and casks.

5701.3 Referenced Documents

The applicable requirements of Chapter 50, other chapters of this code, the International Building Code and the International Mechanical Code pertaining to flammable liquids shall apply.

5701.4 Permits

Permits shall be required as set forth in Sections 105.6 and 105.7.

5701.5 Material Classification

Flammable and combustible liquids shall be classified in accordance with the definitions in Chapter 2.

When mixed with lower flash-point liquids, Class II or III liquids are capable of assuming the characteristics of the lower flash-point liquids. Under such conditions, the appropriate provisions of this chapter for the actual flash point of the mixed liquid shall apply.

When heated above their flash points, Class II and III liquids assume the characteristics of Class I liquids. Under such conditions, the appropriate provisions of this chapter for flammable liquids shall apply.

8 Likes

Jerry boy:
You obviously do not have a license to process…so anyone on this forum should be cautious …from six ways Sunday perspective concerning advising you.
By the format of your questions, it does not seem you are experienced enough to be doing what you are doing (chocolate extract photo is all the proof I need) even if you were in a lab. So the idea of you having your vacuum pumps running to evaporate solvent in a vacuum chamber in an apartment house…just makes me feel bad for the neighbors…not you. Have you ever wondered what happens to the evaporated solvent? Amusing to say the least.
Have you ever considered a government job?
You’re good to go.

3 Likes

People make moonshine and legally you’re allowed to own a 5L rotovap because the boiling flask can’t logically distill more than a gallon…

You can own ethanol distillation equipment. You can own a source turbo you can own a etoh pro you can purchase gallons upon gallons of ethanol every month you can literally purchase n-heptane tonight off of bvv.

You can purchase almost anything thats dangerous

What will always matter is being safe.

I doubt a lot of people here have a license to process but in some states home growers are limited to ethanol, heat and pressure (rosin) and ice water hash…

Then the laws surrounding the use of those three and how much you’re legally allowed to make and posses.

1 Like

I think the level at which you need a C1D2 commercially is 5 gallons of solvent.

2 Likes

Possessing alcohol and vaporizing it into a semi closed environment out the ass end of a vacuum pump are entirely different things.

How are you removing these vapors from your apartment? Is he recovering the bulk of his solvent using a distillation apparatus of one sort or another or simply dumping it all to atmosphere?

4 Likes

some of both. descriptions intertwined for added confusion

@jerryatrickus you’re trying to build a still not a cold trap. or perhaps both. best product will be using a vacuum assisted still. a rotovap is not necessary, but would be ideal.

1 Like

My 2L rotovap was like $600 on Amazon or eBay, I forget which. Chiller was a bit more but you can hook up a submersible aquarium pump in an ice bath if you don’t have the money for that yet. I’ve recovered plenty enough ethanol to make the purchase worth it.

2 Likes