Using Celite 545 to filter chlorophyll from solutions Video

What do you guys think about this video?

I have never used Celite, and from a personal experience, carbon has never left me with such a clear concentrate solution when using ethanol.

Celite 545 Filtering Video

2 Likes

I do not understand the need to prewet the Celite then dry it out. Carbon filtering is used by many to clarify stuff across industries and I do own some carbon powder. I personally do not use carbon because there are better ways for me to remove the green stuff and without losses to carbon.

I did not understand why the guy filtered through the celite first then used that filter underneath of the carbon? That part made no sense to me.

3 Likes

Like L2L Filtering?

Yeah, it looks like he didn’t loose that much from the carbon filtering process. And was wondering about the way he saturated the frisc disk with celite, it does look really nice.

And look how transparent the liquid is :drooling_face::drooling_face:

i think the celite is just a filter so that the carbon doesnt make it through with the liquid.

1 Like

Unrelated to current topic: Can you share this info with me?

This briefly describes the process I use for removing chlorophyl along with a lot of waxes as well.
This is my go to method for a while now for green removal even without cryogenic cooling but the cryo really stops most of the unwanteds for me.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmmtgvlFFyX/?taken-by=redturtle984

4 Likes

Preweting the media is typically done solvent common to the solution and is done to help make it compact like a “cake” under vacuum so the fine particules are less likely to mist away.

Celite 545 is finely ground diatomaceous earth. It’s more of a filtering assist and in this context it’s beneath the carbon to help prevent fine carbon from making it’s way through the coarse fritted filter.

1 Like

I carbon filter every run (with diatamacious earth), and I never see color change that drastic… are they using salesman tricks? Should I use more carbon? Should I grind mine fine like theirs? I use pellets right now, but I’ve got fiber flakes on the way…

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, Beaker no longer uses carbon isn’t that right sir? This is just the cryo solution through Celite 545 and nothing else.

The results you get from Carbon are going to depend on the ratios, residence & agitation time, and temperature. Carbon does adsorb Cans so it is important to tightly control time, temp, agitation, and ratios to limit the amount of loss.

First pic: pre carbon, 2nd: post carbon. Total loss was 15% by weight. Potency increased almost 5%.

1 Like

If you look at how much carbon he added the ratio of filtrate to carbon is very high, probably 20+% carbon. That is crazy high and would result in a ton of loss. The loss is not a loss in volume rather a loss in mass due to the adsorption of desired compounds like terps and canns.

Additionally if the solution being scrubbed has a high concentration of chlorophyll and low concentration of Canns the color reduction is going to be dramatic. For example a cryogenic quick Ethanol was, which has very low concentrations of chlorophyll and other plant matter, will have less dramatic color reduction compared to a room temperature 10-20 min soak that has much higher concentrations of plant matter like chlorophyll.

2 Likes

I got rid of the green tint with a warm carbon scrub, then a vac assisted buchner filtration using a celite 545 cake on bottom.

Went from green to the exact color in the video.

7 Likes

Now, just my opinion, I did lose thc weight from the carbon scrub. Only tell I have is my finished extract weight from the starting material weight. Again just a guess.

Heres my thread you guys helped me with.

1 Like

Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first real posting of any kind, so I hope I have chosen the appropriate place to ask my (hopefully not too silly) questions. Your patience is appreciated :slight_smile:

Our lab is trying charcoal and celite filtration for the first time. We are using a 2.5 micron filter in our funnel and I can still see evidence of celite and charcoal making it into my solution. How concerned should I be about this? I know I can likely get a finer filter and remove more, but do I need to? The solution will ultimately go through short path distillation. Will the trace filtering media cause problems with the distillation run, or will it simply end up in the tails with no problem?

Also, is it OK to conduct this filtration on the winterized tincture after the waxes have been filtered out? This seems like the most optimum time as the solution is not yet thick. I have tested on a small omount of winterized tincture, and the color changes alot! I know that is what it is supposed to do in general, but I want to ensure I am not just filtering out product.

Thanks in advance for all replies

Are you simply using a 2.5um filter paper/screen or are you using a 3D filtration media on top of that filter?

We are using the filter media on top of the 2.5 micron filter. We are doing this in a medium sized ceramic Buchner funnel.

charcoal
celite
filter paper

stacked like that

Hmm… Where are you sourcing your charcoal? Do you see carbon particles under microscope or are you just seeing it in solution after the filter?

I just checked my last fitration after cleaning everything up a bit. We don’t have a microsocope here at the moment. I don’t feel there is charcoal now (by eyeball), just some celite, so I have some improvement since my first post. I see what looks like a very small amount of celite. do I need to filter that out before short path?

Our charcoal is the best value vacs product shown in the video at the top of the thread