Using Cartfarmer to make pectin based gummies , experiences?

if i keep it in the kettle with the same temp , the water will boil away and the mass will get less viscous very quick , so its like an race between temperatures and percentage of water / cooking time.

ive also tryed different sorts of pectin to be sure its not the fault of the pectin used…

@ZizzleB
could you point me out the china machines u think would work out well?
and you have a link to that german machine aswell?

That dont sound that bad then

If you keep it covered so that no water can escape does it stay workable indefinitely?

Sounds like as long as you clear the barrel before it cools down it would be okay but again, I don’t make edibles and it sounds like other people have tried this

1 Like

it’s not, if you have the equipment to get it deposited while it is still hot.
but it sounds like he does not have that equipment.

I think that would be a bad idea with pectin, however my recipe should work. As long as it stays at 120F, the gelatin will stay a liquid. I still think it would be a bad idea, but iv never used one of the cart fillers.

You could put a heating element around the ketchup bottle, another option is something ive seen on youtube. They make rubber worms for fishing using injection molding. They have molds and a homemade looking injector gun. If you could get a mold for small baits or have it custom made thats doable. You can put a heat mat on this Amazon.com
and make some of these in your mold shape 1/4" / 6mm Eye Mold

1 Like

Everybody talking about the “pour and scrape”. Someone prove it works, we never got perfect gummies that way.

4 Likes

I think we are advocating for the good ole flip and squeeze

6 Likes

What type of Pectin are you using?

1 Like

ive tryed different ones , all pretty much with the same result …
also extra slow set pectin

Learning about the chemistry behind HM slow set pectin and acid interactions are your best bet. The slow set pectin with acid mixture you are using might have too low of a pH level and is solidifying quickly. “High soluble solids contents (approx. 78%), usual in the production of gum and jelly products with high methyl ester pectins, require relatively high pH values to prevent pre-gelation and to achieve long depositing times.” I’ll attach the paper that helped a lot. ec95dc1c-0908-4daf-b215-ac9d844e6549.pdf (163.2 KB)

9 Likes

i think that might be a thing ! thank you for that paper ill try my best to understand all that.
what ph levels do you personally recommend roundabout to prevent that fast solidifying?

2 Likes

Your idea is basically the same concept of a depositor with the exception of the dispensing point. You need a much larger diameter hole, beyond any syringe size a little larger than a IV…

Considering its a pectin based recipe you are on the right route with a heated stainless vessel you will get no where w.o heating its storage container around 150F besides a fat 1 piece glob gummy.

Maybe if you got the stainless container and instead of a hose connection to a syringe you got on a ball valve it MIGHT work with enough heat. If you capped the stainless vessel and applied a air compressor or something to push it and I think you MIGHT succeed in that manner. Vacuum could would work to buy a regulator of some sort would be ideal to test.

5 Likes

I think the paper answered the question until he tries it. They describe different pectin textures and setup times based on ph and give exact examples.

I don’t think a lot of the commentors have personally worked with a vegan pectin based gummi. Once it’s proteins activated after a certain cook temp its going to do what it does when it cools. We would pour straight form a kettle into a heated depositor and we would always “waste” the top layer cause it would set from the air. Not to mention the first few dispenses are semiset when it dispenses so they don’t mold right and the state makes us waste more.

I don’t think its as simple as changing where the pectins derived, we have 2 separate sources of pectin in our recipe one is in the purees one is sourced whole(different flavor/fruit purees require different adjustments to pectin weight and some require longer dehydration/less puree in the recipe vs others etc.)

6 Likes

… maybe you haven’t seen the “keep 20 ketchup bottles in a sous vide” version of this SOP?

9 Likes

Yea dont do this

We produce pectin gummys here in CA on a large scale and youll never get 1000 gummys out before it gels using a cart shooter

Put heat guns all over it. It should work just have to keep the viscosity right.

Edit: I’m not recommending this.

This idea is fire. A spring loaded handheld ball valve at the end of the farmer would make a precision pourer that wouldn’t gunk as easily. Slapping an endcap on would fight loss

2 Likes

viscid=more liquidy

1 Like