Using a cls to scrub distillate

I’ve been wondering something for a minute now. I’ve spoken to several associates and they’ve said they’ve pondered on it too but never pulled the trigger. Maybe one of y’all has actually tried this or can offer some insight based on experience.

I have some dark distillate that I would like to make gold gold. It’s actually sitting at 90% but it’s dark af for whatever reason. I was not the one to make it but I had it tested and was pleased.

I was thinking to melt it down and do a hot run on the CLS. That way we could run it through CRC and purge most butane before dumping and then finish off full purge in the roto or maybe a reactor.

The issues that I can think of is

A) the butane not fully dissolving the disty and clogging up things downstream

B) butane hitting hot disty and evaporating pretty much right away, hence not dissolving.

Both of these problems could be relieved if heptane were used of course, but then we would have to do another distillation to ensure all of that is purging where as butane can be fully purged without, due to its much lower evap point.

I’m thinking to simply dump the tane and leave it to fully dissolve disty overnight before running through CRC or reclaiming.

Any insight is much appreciated!

3 Likes

I have done this. It worked well for me. Its been a few years though.

3 Likes

Yo yep. Get some nice stainless packing to prevent clogging. Drizzle the packingg like your adding Carmel to a sundae ad fucking send it.

5 Likes

Ahhhhhhh yesssss that’s brilliant! So simple, like stainless steel biomass!

2 Likes

You can cool the stainless in the freezer and do layers in the column if your worried about the temp of the distillate to get it.

1 Like

I tried it and it works to an extent. I threw it in a sock inside a sock and then into the column with a fritted plate underneath to catch the sock

Don’t forget to balance the ph or the oil will oxidize quick. Use natural medias if possible

4 Likes

Besides the color, what are you trying to get out of the distillate? Is it super dark, like tea? ***edit. saw dark af. ***I have some distillate that tests well and is a little dark. Some material just doesn’t clean up the same and requires a second or third pass for me too.

We have a customer that doesn’t want the honey gold and buys (minimal) distillate that has a little bit more color to it. I have no idea why, and haven’t asked, but it saves me a second or third pass which is ok with me.

1 Like

I’ve did this several times and will be doing it again soon… The idea is don’t scrub to much or you’ll be water clear and it’ll get color like red or purple from oxidation

I’ll take before and after pics

Use heptane, it’ll be easier to handle and deal with. Then lle to neutralize it afterwards and rerun distill

12 Likes

I think he’s referring to if u only have access to cls and no other equipment and don’t wanna buy new equipment

It’ll definitely work…I used b80 w light layer silica60 I scrubbed to hard came out barely Any yellow.

This time I’m cutting the mix in half as I just want it see thru dark golden yellow

I’m sure you could load it in the column but I pour it in the solvent tank and then get it warm a few hrs

Close the valves add some nitrogen and it’ll hold the butane down from bubbling a way but let u get it melted at same time…but tbh the bubbling probably helps dissolve the disty

I heated my disty then poured into an empty tank…then filled w butane and put in hot water and waiting a few hrs

You can still put heptane in your cls, just have to use ptfe gaskets. I don’t have a standard chromotography columns for cleaning crude, so I do it like this. Granted assuming can backfire, but if he’s going to redistill it. I can assume he may possibly have a roto, as well.

But you’re correct, he didn’t say anything about additional steps afterwards.

3 Likes

I’ve never had proper chromatography columns, and that hasn’t stopped me from polishing crude. Spools and filter plates work just fine. Buchner or hochstrom filters work great for this, too. Granted, this was all being done with ethanol, but the trick is not hard to perform. T5 and AC for the win.

3 Likes

Yea, was just thinking B80 alone.

1 Like

If they’re carting it then I can see why. The darker disty comes out a richer gold in a cart and to me looks much mo betta.

Dissolve in heptane, pour into material column, push through crc with butane, don’t recover the butane, it will be contaminated with heptane

1 Like

Ethanol is easier to recover than heptane (higher bp), and one need not use butane to push. Gravity, nitrogen push, or vacuum are all sufficient with the methodology I explained up thread.

1 Like

Ethanol is not easier to recover than heptane, and will not be the ideal solvent for color remediation

Boiling point of ethanol is 173.1F vs heptane at 209.2F. While you may very well be right, it’s my experience that unless one is using membranes, lower BP solvents are easier to recover.

You really don’t like ethanol. Almost like you have something against it. Did the booze hurt you like it did to me?

Hydrocarbons boil off easier, the booze didn’t hurt me bro I actually don’t drink.

Hydrocarbons are superior in color remediation as they allow more rejection of polar molecules.

-Real world experience not bias

2 Likes