Using a cls to scrub distillate

Ya I’ve done b80 filtration with ethanol for years and I’ve recently got authorization to use heptane and the effect of considerably stronger while in a hydrocarbon.

1 Like

Me neither. Cheers. You’ve had a lot of anti-ethanol comments, which is why I said that.

And yes, the whole polarity thing can make a big difference, but I have had great success with ethanol, T5, and AC. I still disagree about ease of recovery, but I’m not saying your experiences aren’t valid and true.

1 Like

ethanol is limiting from a colour remediation standpoint. Non Polar hydrocarbons make light work of color remediations and there is a lot of options for media to use specific to your application.

1 Like

I’m almost positive you can recover a lot more heptane per hour than ethanol

I haven’t worked a lot with straight heptane, but I have done entirely too much work with CDA12-A (heptane denatured ethanol), and I can say that the denatured is definitely harder to recover than just ethanol.

Heptane does recover significantly faster at the same temperature as ethanol, with less energy used, regardless of BP. Along with bentonite clays and the such work better with a non polar solvent. And can be made neutral easier than ethanol.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time I’m wrong (and certainly won’t be the last). :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Use pentane.

Fix all your aforementioned problems.

4 Likes

Regardless if heptane is better the OP wants to know if he can do it w butane.

Bottom line yes you can…the only reason I used a lil silica60 @Kinsmanofthesun is bc I retrieve the disty outta carts and it made it extremely dark red. Silica works great w reds also water if I understood right

Bottom the experiment worked so good it’s not even funny

If u over scrub it though you’ll have oxidizing issues that a darker hemp terp stopped this issue for me

Btw I only ever seen it turn a color when I put it in the fridge in the carts upside down…it got purple blue rings instead of red . I don’t know a ton about disty but that’s either bc it’s so pure or a pH issue. I’m just glad darker terps fixed the issue and was able to recart the disty

1 Like

If he’s gonna do butane the most difficult part will be dissolving. Make sure you don’t clog the drain port with hot distillate that will turn solid when the butane hits

1 Like

You can still use heptane to get it done. Distillate won’t care if you heat it up to 180f under vacuum. Butane wouldn’t be safe in a roto-evaporator.

Long story short, it’ll work with butane, but it’ll take too much effort. Pentane would need to be used in an intrinsically safe environment, when outside the booth. Heptane is only restricted by c1d2.

2 Likes

If one is already (legally) processing with hydrocarbons, C1D1 is already required and in place. Pentane shouldn’t be an issue. If not, sticking with less volatile hydrocarbons seems like a win (if not using the -tanes).

1 Like

All done in crc cls

Before
This disty was retrieve from 300 leaking carts w ethanol. It’s what made it so dark

And tbh I was actually able to reuse the cart since they were never fired just leaking like crazy. I tried stretching it for a customer and it turned into a nightmare

I don’t have any after pics my dumb butt didn’t take any

But I do have some after mixing terps w it

Before the terps it was to light yellow clear

After

I know there’s easier ways guys…but I had to use what I had on hand…which was a cls w tons filtration,nitro, and my 70/30 tane and crc

The short answer it works! The long one it works to well so be careful on the amount powders. Thank god I had some darker hemp terps to give it the stuff it needs to keep from oxidizing

Yes I agree. Roto not so safe. I think reactor will work safely though.

As for heptane over butane it’s hard to imagine being able to get it to the point of being completely purged. Back in my conversion days I could always still smell it no matter how long it was in roto.

2 Likes

Yea you’re definitely correct on it probably having a weird odor.