USDA cert organic extraction processes

As far as I can tell, the only scalable method for maintaining a cert organic label is extraction with cold, cert organic ethanol- are there any solvents that are allowed as processing aids in organic production? If hemp isn’t a legal foodstuff, and isn’t legally a supplement, do the rules for cert organic even apply?

Still wondering whether or not hemp products can even carry a USDA cert organic sticker, and if anyone on this forum has experience with literally any other system for extraction, as I don’t really love the limitations that cryo-etoh offers

7 Likes

Did you ever find an answer to this? Sourcing organic alcohol right now and to hell with these people. I fail to understand how 200 proof USP is in any way inferior to Organic, or potentially harmful, especially when the final product is solvent-free.

I’ll have to dig into this one. I dont doubt hexane is not approved, but wondering about butane extraction processes since butane is GRAS. If butane is not allowed in USDA 100% organic cert processes I think a good case could be made that it should be allowed and we could petition for its recognition by USDA. C4 being GRAS and that it does not pose the environmental/ozone degradation properties like hexane it should be either already compliant with USDA 100% organic processes or could at least be petitioned to be allowed. (one of the reasons I am so gung-ho about butane in this regard is that butane extracted hemp seed oil and protein isolate is the purest and most natural form of seed oil and protein one can obtain, Cold pressing is not cold and definitely creates an altered composition changing the antioxidant values and likely denatures components of the oil/protein)

1 Like

Hey Objective, certfied OG grower since '03 and certification officer since ’ 14 in the USDA organic program. Search eCFR 205 section 605 for a list of potential solvents…if its not on this list, it is not approved to be in or on an organic product… GRAS has little to do with certification because it is a qualitative certification using approved materials and methods

3 Likes
1 Like

Well now I see it says 2012 lol after posting and reading it- still interesting though

Get an MNBP cert via my contact at TTB, get $1 a gal taxed organic denatured ethanol.

This company claims USDA cert organic using CO2

Co2 extraction. The facility that I have under contract has USDA Certified Organic processingAnybody who is interested in processing organic (or standard) please let me know. I have capacity open in April that is going for $3/lb input. This is for co2 crude only, not winterized or decarbed. Incoming material must be under 0.3% total thc. This is the best way to stabilize your material, and at the lowest cost. Co2 extract is shelf stable for at least 7 years.

idle question, but why does it matter if .3 or .4 when the end product is legally marijuana anyway

Because to legally cross state lines it needs to be under 0.3%, and there is a definite grey area around extract that is “not for human consumption” - meaning it needs further processing or dilution to get it below 0.3% thc in a consumer product. We believe we can stay compliant as long as we are processing from starting material that is traceable back to the farm, and is under the legal THC limit when we receive it.

Sounds like Thor rates.

Well, as Thor is tasked with the protection of mankind… possibly! I just realize that there are millions of pounds of biomass that are laying around rotting. Anyone with biomass needs to process into extract to hold any value moving forward, and I hope that we can help get this done in the most economical way possible. Unfortunately extract is not moving, so it’s either pay cash to get extracted or lose all value IMO.