Extraction Pro Needed

We have to introduce solvent to clean up fats and waxes from our CO2 crude but once you fully decarb solvent is non-detectable. What is your final product? Winterized crude or distillate?

Planning for distillate to be used in our own products, but right now we are still in planning phase.

How are you going to get a solventless product when C02 itself is a solvent and to make a usable product, the extract will have to be winterized in another solvent like ethanol or methanol?

12 Likes

It doesnt sound like you guys have a real game plan. Its good to know that you want something “clean and organically derived” but there are multiple ways to get there.

If Solventless is something you truly are after, you need to ditch CO2 because you will end up using ethanol to winterize anyways.

For solventless you would be looking to produce hash which you could then press into hash rosin. Im not an expert in doing this at scale, but its your only real solventless option.

You can by all means make a clean product with butane. probably the cleanest. This is probably your best bet, to get a good BHO system, since you can use it to make starting crude for distillation as well.

Since you are a smaller facility, avoiding buying too many different things is going to be key.

BHO setup to make quality concentrates, also used to make your crude for distillation. Maybe a rotovap and buchner filtration setup, so you can winterized bho crude, if needed. If you are running cold enough, you might not need it. Add a small shortpath and thats all you really need. You can get your terps from your bho that you can add to distillate.

Dont buy too many things, as thats the fastest way to go under. Pay for a consultant, a reputable one. Im sure some will come around on this thread. Have a plan for what products you are going to make, and make sure your equipment matches the size of your operation.

14 Likes

it will never be Halal if you choose supercritical

1 Like

What if I told you that butane from certain deposits was microbial in origin, and therefor “organic”?

Will you be winterizing your CO2 oil?
Using organic ethanol?

Would water satisfy your chemo-phobia?

See:USDA cert organic extraction processes

For one discussion, and the search bar for more…

13 Likes

Switch your planning to ethanol. You are going to use it to process your co2 oil anyway.

2 Likes

Take it from a CO2 lab… seriously consider this option. @G_Boe is right, if your are serious about solventless look into the hash route.

8 Likes

Now you’re conflating organic with solventless?

Use “solvent free” if you mean you got rid of it

Solventless is reserved (or should be) for “we didn’t use any damn solvent hippy!”…or your customers will eventually decide you’ve been lying to them.

10 Likes

The hash washing option has been floated around as well, nice to know more people do this - even if it is labor intensive. Thanks @G_Boe and @cyclopath for the knowledge.

2 Likes

Using what is arguably the least scalable extraction method (CO2), then making distillate with it is one way of getting the job done.

Not the route I’d recommend … I can be hired to make such recommendations…you can probably tell I won’t sugar coat the facts.

What is the first sku you’re looking to produce?

Distillate is referred to as “hot dog water” in some circles. You can make it with decent inputs, but there is little sense in that unless you’re growing the input and capturing the terpenes.

Decarboxylating THCA get your higher potency with less effort and equipment : Please humor me. How are decarbed diamonds that much different from distillate?

CO2 can produce great “terpenes”, but there are other routes that are equally effective.

6 Likes

Thca is better for distillate
Co2 is better than nitrogen for terps. Bigger yields and no hydrosol.
Butane is cheaper than co2 for terps hte into a short path

5lb Bho setup
Centrifuge
Shortpath

Every sku under the sun for less OPEX

6 Likes

I’d disagree with this statement.

It’d probably be good to discuss your ideas with consultants that are proponents of different types of extraction. We all have biases, based on truths and opinions.

If you are looking to stand out, distillate is not the product to do it with.

6 Likes

If you are making edibles and vapes standing out isn’t usually the goal, it’s revenue and CPG business plans

Rosin and good hydrocarbon is how you think you stand out but with less than 10% of the market buying concentrates and extracts the real way to stand out is with good flower and killer marketing

6 Likes

This :point_up_2:

4 Likes

This is the way.

With your solventless or hydrocarbon set up in hand, the final product will speak for itself in the stores. Especially if your customer base has grown to enjoy the flower you put out (and other flower/trim products like prerolls/blunts).

Co2, you’ll just be selling your distillate by the kilo to the bigger guys, not even getting your name out there. On top of that the markup for co2 equipment is absolutely ridiculous, surprised nobody has mentioned that.

6 Likes

Just sent DM about contracting for a consult.

1 Like

Agreed. But why

If centrifuging THCa to purity?

2 Likes

I think hes using the shortpath to pull the terps off of hte. you could always just formulate using the hte

1 Like

I like how raw garden takes really well crashed out hte and puts it through a spinning band or short path to get really refined flavor and fragrance components. I feel that is superior in flavor when to adding back decarbed THCa over just HTE but both are nice

1 Like