USB Microscopes

I’m looking to by a handheld digital microscope with an articulated stand for examining plants and photographing various conditions. I’ve seen a lot of positive reports on using cheap ones from amazon like the one I’ve linked below. Unfortunately, the zoom on them is all digital and even though the price is low, I’d hate to waste money. Can anyone recommend a specific microscope for my application, or confirm the usability of the cheap ones? I’d also be using it for stationary applications in addition to live plant examinations.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Microscope-Flexible-Observation-Magnification/dp/B00XNYXQHE/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMjUgYW5kICQ1MA%3D%3D-ac_d_pm&crid=IGFSZCJZEZ8Z&cv_ct_cx=usb+microscope&keywords=usb+microscope&pd_rd_i=B00XNYXQHE&pd_rd_r=111272d8-66d5-417f-9096-1531b823ce2d&pd_rd_w=iGHJ6&pd_rd_wg=BVpum&pf_rd_p=0e223c60-bcf8-4663-98f3-da892fbd4372&pf_rd_r=6RQWY0K5WM7JNB5G1538&psc=1&qid=1582139648&sprefix=usb+microsco%2Caps%2C170

Those kinda suck, ur phone probably has a better camera. When i looked into these, the ones that seems worth it work like $250.
I saw dinolites in action at a cannabis event, and looked pretty good imo

2 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

If ur just trying to take pics of leafs the $100 should be good. But if u want to take detailed pics of bugs and their eggs, id go with the 250 one. And being able to identify bugs is a huge help, especially the eggs, u can time sprays perfectly to when ud think majoriry will hatch. Most of the pests have like a 3-4 day egg period then they hatch.
If theres very little eggs present, u can identify and find predators in time for when they hatch, most places ship overnight

2 Likes

They don’t list prices on the product page i was initially looking at, so i went through and found the one that i liked then found the price… $1300 hah. Gotta pick a different one. https://www.dinolite.us/products/am7915mztl

Lol those 1k+ are for trying to take national geographic bug pics haha
If u got a decent phone (within the last 2 years) u can get a scope that mount over ur phone camera, they work well too
Edit. Lol nvm ur already trying that

2 Likes

I imagine it’d be a drastic improvement over my clip on cell phone one lol

2 Likes

I’ve used the cheap USB ones to capture video of russet mites racing up the plant.

Boss referred to it as the most terrifying video he’d ever seen…those fuckers can move

10 Likes

Its terrifying seeing an infestation under scope, makes u wanna just burn everything ur wearing knowing those fuckers are everywhere haha
Also really fun to watch predators have a feast, they just suck them up usually or just bite their “neck” and move on

4 Likes

This one looks promising, but is 40x adequate? https://www.dinolite.us/products/digital-microscopes/usb/am4113tl-m40

no.

100X is the min I would recommend.

doesn’t take pictures, but a useful pocket tool

I think I had one of theses for a bit Active Eye 60X Smartphone Microscope Clip-On Attachment. certainly the price of admission is cheap enough to toss it if it doesn’t bring you joy.

2 Likes

Good to know. I’m assuming the need for >40x is for small mites and eggs?

I’ve had good luck with this Teslong model : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IV0TV50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works on desktop and mobile. Hand focus and light control and i’ve built a couple light boxes to articulate the pen scope in. Takes stills and captures video stream. Been great as a budget option until I snag a nicer desktop model with HDMI out.

2 Likes

Thank you! I hadn’t seen this form factor before, is the adjustment dial easy to use? The added barrel length on this would be great for getting into the canopy.

It’s not terrible but you get what you pay for. Wouldn’t wrench it too hard and otherwise should hold up.

Would also be careful about getting too close to water. Only some parts are rated IP67 :wink:

3 Likes

I have scopes that have a mount to secure it to a phone.

Cost 20.00 for the mount and scope. My phone is a 900.00 samsung s8 active with camera app upgrade

1 Like

i own this one USB MicroScope - Amazon

these are taken with it…
Tue Feb 04 10-19-22
Wed Nov 06 21-13-32
Wed Oct 02 21-56-40

nightmare video…

3 Likes

Wow, the quality on that is excellent for the cost. Thanks!

Edit: What’s with the purple trichome stem in the bottom right quadrant of the first image? Hadn’t seen that before.

2 Likes

Wow, Canada gets screwed. Even with currency conversion, it’s $5.91 (US) more on amazon.ca than amazon.com.

2 Likes

This is the camera we use at our grow and are very happy with it. Not generally a good thing when we have to break it out but it works well.

2 Likes