Unfair job in MA, looking for a new gig (licensed, metric, SAP)

People don’t realize they too take on responsibility when employed.

1 Like

Yep. I wanted to make this thread to vent about a frustrating situation to a community I hoped might be able to better understand the dynamic / the nature of the work.

Please, let’s keep things professional. No booms. No fights. Ya boy is just trying to secure a bag. I literally have nightmares about accidentally leaving a solvent tank under pressure, or a valve cracked :grimacing:

5 Likes

Yes, yes, inappropriate, I agree. I have a very porous filter. My apologies all.

Today is collections day, and I get a little rough around the edges when I’m busy tracking down deadbeats.

13 Likes

@broccoli any interest in freelance work at all? Looking for content writers with experience working in a formulation/extraction lab to help create articles for a cannabis manufacturing knowledge base. Topics vary from equipment reviews to chemical handling and safety, manufacturing SOPs, etc.

No need to have previous experience in copywriting or anything. Will pay per article, so if you have some free time and want to make a few extra bucks shoot me a note and I can give you some more info.

3 Likes

My pops had an old saying about that.

You get to work

You “get” to work

You GET to work.

It’s the truth, first year, you honestly did pretty good.

My first gig was 15/hr, second gig got anywhere from 15-20.

With a little hard work and grit, and you get on your own, you can get anywhere from 25-50, but thats also with taking on investment and liability and a lot more bullshit.

You can make an okay living, but reasonably, it’s as difficult as any other skill or trade. The real people making them mo’ money dollars are the guys selling the pick ax’s, but I have no doubt that game is it’s own bag of “what is all this?!?”.

I think it important and honest to state, this ish is tough yo.

Hope you find your place.

2 Likes

While I appreciate the well wishes, that’s a totally lame and facile take.

15/hr is not a livable wage in my area. 17.50 is not a lot better- it’s not a matter of bootstrapping. It’s a matter of valuing myself enough to demand more consideration. I work for an MSO in one of the largest recreational processing facilities in the united states- there is money to spare to pay their sole extraction tech.

Just because other people are willing to be taken advantage of does not mean I should be expected to “grind” and do the same. I’ve BEEN running 100% of the extractions, I’ve put in more than my fair share of physical, mental, and emotional labor into getting the facility to where it is today. I have leverage here.

Have you ever tried to “pull yourself up by your bootstraps”?

Do you understand its origin? It means to advance your own position without any outside help, right?

Nope.

It’s been misconstrued- to pull yourself up by your boot straps is physically impossible. Go ahead and give it a try. I promise you’re going to remain on the ground.
The original meaning is something like, “to attempt something absurd”.

Suggesting to people in a community where we are trying to “level up together”, that they should just keep their nose to the grindstone because you did too- that’s just dumb, man.

I got my raise by advocating for myself, with the help of my colleagues, and kind folks here on the forum. I have a few trainees under me now and I’m a lot happier with the way things are going.

I am where I am now because lots of other people worked hard to make it possible. The same is true for you.

Best

7 Likes

Do you know how much one of your run costs?

3 Likes

Yep. Do you know how much we are selling concentrates for?

2 Likes

I make damn good money here in MA and I still had to move out of state because I can’t afford MA rent. Eastern part of the state especially is among the most expensive places to live anywhere in the US.

5 Likes

Lol I was only going to suggest a way to better leverage yourself if you did but you got a helluva shity ass attitude, and you honestly probably deserve less then you make if you act like this at work good luck ever moving past valve jockey

3 Likes

Insisting anyone working deserves to earn less than it costs to live is a shitty-ass attitude if you ask me.

13 Likes

Well it sure sounded like you were trying to piss down my back, sir.

4 Likes

& telling me I have a shitty attitude for responding to your low-effort, pointed question with an equally low effort and pointed question- self report, much?

4 Likes

How much volume do you run a day? and how much are they selling extracts for?

Get some math in front of your manager to show them the value you have added. You have been there since day one, what kind of volume were you producing in the beginning vs now?

2 Likes

Are you still making the 17.50 or did they bump you to 20

I know you said they bumped you to 20 but is it still not in effect yet?

and second question what would you be happy with for this job

2 Likes

I’m not the guy bitching about not making enough money :man_shrugging: I own my company pay and work for myself I can have a shitty attitude, but the person who hasn’t made it anywhere in life and is upset about their pay wage should be a sponge for ANY knowledge he can take, not being a childish brat :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Yes also I disagree with the worker being entitled to the profits of a company when it is doing well but when it is at a loss they still expect the same

4 Likes

No business owner deserves the sacrifice of other people’s labor merely in order to enjoy the status of being a laborlord.

6 Likes

No malice no shade I asked you a simple ass question :roll_eyes: grow up

It’s not your employers job to make you rich it’s their job to pay what both parties agreed too.

8 Likes