Understanding waxes and lipid content in plant mateial

Ah I see, ln2 ethanol bath I have -116°c on Wikipedia, creating said bath would be interesting I imagine lol

• Liquid nitrogen/Ethanol (-116°C) - Extremely cold, when it forms the surface will rapidly freeze, but the crust is easy to break. Once all the liquid nitrogen will evaporate, the cooled ethanol will have the consistency of a syrup.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Cooling_bath

1 Like

A mixture would preform better than ln2 by its self.
dry ice and ln2 work as a bath also.

What’s wrong w acetone and dry ice only as bath or denatured alcohol and dry ice

1 Like

absolutely nothing, just different cat skinning methods…

Yeah nothing was off on a tangent thinking out loud

2 Likes

What are your thoughts soxhlet on a diy vacuum flask I was going to knock one up out of heavy duty 20l buckets for solvent tank in slurry.
It would certainly be aesthetically pleasing but comparable to a drinks cooler in efficiency right?
I would have spacers epoxied into base to reinforce the flat bottom maybe HDPE or similar I’ll look at thermal conductivity
Also if the column, packing and solvent were pre-chilled could it be more efficient to have a fully jacketed column with a vacuum pulled on the jacket? For example if you had multiple packed columns being chilled pull it out of freezer/dry ice pull vacuum on jacket mount on system vacuum system then run?

It is doable. I’d do without the spacers, you don’t want any more thermal conductivity than necessary.

Can you make it from metal and pull a vac on the inside?

Your next cheapest option might be make a ice chest from a few layers of high r value foam.

1 Like

ideally you’d want the plant material cool as well, most people have a fluid jacket inside the vacuum jacket. The vac jacket is just an insulating layer.

Yes tapered stainless buckets that slip into each other but leave a cavity between them with a spigot and ball valve on the outer skin for vacuum, I wasn’t sure of I would get distortion on the flat base under vacuum it would certainly never be comparable to an actual dewar as the top would be open it would only need to be as effective as a open top drink cooler that alot of guys use but just look alot cooler

you might have a collapse there, flat bottoms are bad for pressure/ vac. How thick/ diameter of the bottom of the bucket?

Yes the plant material everything would be chilled I am only thinking small scale so notl circulating chiller or anything just vacuum insulation to maintain temp as apposed to filling with DI slurry

1 Like

You could do what @StoneD did, he made a po’boy jacket from wood!
I think the open top jacket is the most economical way to do small scale at this point.

1 Like

Yeah I am assuming it would pull in would be approx 2mm and 300mm diameter so pretty weak that’s where I thought maybe an epoxied spacer at least one dead centre

1 Like

if you could construct ribs instead, make them in a way where that don’t touch each other. you want the inside surface to not conduct to the outside ( EG no contact)

1 Like

atmosphere strong like bull

3 Likes

Ribs yeah that is a great idea I could place them on the exterior of each bucket so they don’t touch

1 Like

Yes hmm that’s alot of ribs, maybe we over thinking this but it does have an open top after all
HDPE 0.35 - 49 w/mk
Pp 0.2 w/mk
If I had a ring of pp pipe epoxied I would have a thermal bridge but the amount of mass would be minimal as it’s in compression between the 2 skins only maybe 20mm tall it would be strong that would reduce the force on the steel significantly?
Thank you for your time discussing this soxhlet I appreciate it I dropped out of high school and work in construction thermodynamics are not my forte

So save trim for distillation and whole bud for smoking/using for actual concentrates

1 Like

Much easier way is take snow jackef and cut the sleeves…put the arm band at bottom and zip tie on…fold cut end over and sew it down. Then pack it around the column

But yeah about 3 yrs ago I made one outta wood for straight dry ice…it worked just good enough to make me wanna get real open jackets…o wait I know I had one open jacket I wanted my columns without jackets to have jacket too bc I was stacking them…I had like 5ft material column but was 2 inch

1 Like

Plants produce waxes (what we really mean by this is alkanes and to a lesser extent alkenes) to be moisture and UV resistant. This is why some strains will be more resistant to higher humidity or more light time.

I don’t know firsthand but it would make sense that plants would produce more when grown outside.

7 Likes