Understanding Diamond Delamination

Hey Fam,

Lookin for some insight into why I have a pan of diamonds that are de-laminating. By de-laminating, I mean the diamonds have split into two layers within the same saturation, temperature and dwelling parameters that other pans have formed quality stones in on the same batch. Also this is all from the same material on the same day in the same machine, no pesticides or sprays on the material. I just dont understand why this one pan split this way & I would liek to understand more about why & how this can be controlled. I smash alot of FF daily & I have seen this before but never on a 3kg pan like this.

Maybe @TheWillBilly @Dred_pirate or another diamond savant could weigh in ?

Here is a pic of the pan after I cut into it to show the inclusion/Cavity which was of course half full of air and terps

PS: I use straight N-Butane

4 Likes

The thca and other stuff are separating

I don’t know why they dome like that or in jars. Maybe solvent pressure maybe the lattice just curves.

Every single pan of cleaner(CRC) sugar I have run or scraped, gets that bubble in the center of the pyrex. Come to think of it, the only time it dosent happen is if I ran fresh frozen “live diamonds”

I am going to hypothesize that as the lattice forms it requires more surface area, but because CRC has been done, there isn’t alot of weight left behind to hold the lattice down.

1 Like

I don’t use pyrex pan tek so just guessing here. Have you tried increasing the pressure in your pressure oven up from 13psi?

I think it happens when the initial “crash” happens too fast and when the structures grow ever so slightly they push against each other pushing the crust layer up. Kinda like bricks warming up on the walkway and now the sidewalk is a bit wonky. At that point the solution hasn’t dropped out all of the thca and when the mother liquor pools on the bottom of the dish, it continues to drop out until it’s finished.

10 Likes

I got a weird guess. The pan is tapered. Maybe as crystallization happened the diamonds didn’t have anywhere to go but up…

Totally spitballing

Reading Dred says this above. Lol

2 Likes

@Dred_pirate
Ahh ya that makes sense & was kind of what I was thinking was happening, what confuses me is why is that pan doing it rite next to a pan that does not within the exact same conditions

I guess im trying to find out how to stop it because it generates a bunch of sugar.

One possibility is that the saturation curve is the culprit and that this pan is the last to come out of the spitter when yielding, I think im going to start numbering the pans as they evacuate the collection to see if it is indeed the last pan to come out.

It would totally make sense with what you are saying about the inital crash

@FicklePickle
I don’t believe so, as it is a stainless pan and has ample room in it + there were 4 identical pans in that yield and this pan was the only one to do that in the pressure oven

1 Like

Is it it’s own run, or is this pan 1 of many from a single pour

Many from a single pour

I see it is, I’m guessing your seeing fractioning based on molecular weight in the collection vessel.

When I pour jars I can definitely see noticeable differences from one to the next

2 Likes

These runs are 100% FF

yeah makes sense, ill keep records of the pan #'s and report back for clarity

I see this when I do jars too but not so much when I do pan tech, as I scale up the diamond production I am finding that irregularity’s become more obvious and somewhat less frequent.

I also wonder if the heat wave we had here on the PNW had something to do with it, the AC in the lab was struggling when it was 41c outside lol

1 Like

Yeah everyone around here was massively struggling with that heat wave.

Same here, my buddies truck bed liner warped into a canoe LOL

1 Like

Wow. First I heard of it being that bad….

I saw bunch of sidewalks around here buckle

Im sure he took a picture of it, I’ll see if i can get it from him and post it here

was actually funny until everybody on site went out to the parking lot to check on their vehicles lol

1 Like

ain’t nobody got time for this shit, get back to work

1 Like

Exactly lol

1 Like

My guess is it is the most Molecularly light dish of the run, and you had some fractioning by weight in the pot. If you have a pour spout it’s probably the last dish, and if you have a detachable spool your first.

Yes it is from a pour spout in the bottom of the collection, maybe the saturation caused the lattice to form on the surface 1st locking in the ability to off gas. I clearly need to record more subtle data on the run

Thank you for your replies fam!

1 Like