Understanding Diamond Delamination

I have this happen all the time. I think variables in oven temp or what tray it is located on in the oven is what causes it . This will cause the crashing process to happen faster . This was a big thing on why cascade ovens are better compared to AI because of the more even heating .

My cascade can’t hold pressure but my Ai can

How did you get your cascade to hold a positive pressure?

1 Like

We don’t have any cascades ovens just AI’s . We were just talking about the pros and cons because all we do is pyrex sugar and some come out faceted like rock salt , others sugar , and some do the weird air bubble terp layer thing . At the end of the day most people want consistency in their products . Our typical SOP is to just spray into pyrex then throw in the oven at 100-110 and it will crash in as little as 12 hours and as long as 2-3 days seeding helps increase speed and make more consistent product . We do not use any pressure

We have the same sugar sop lol

Sadly, sugar does not move as fast as diamonds and LR carts ime & I always get a little sugar off my HTE after it sits in the vault for a few days

If you wanted to test this variable. Homogenize what’s coming out of your collection vessel before you split it into 2 separate pans.

Or just alternate and do a few seconds of pour into each dish back and forth. It should be more consistent.

2 Likes

Good tip, I bet that would lower the chances of this happening at all, thank ya man

How ya been doin ?

This would be my guess or that you had it in an oven with multiple pans

1 Like

Excellent explanation!

1 Like

It was indeed in an oven with multiple pans, 4 in fact.

Would putting a pan in an oven solo prevent this ? and if so what is happening in the oven with 4 pans that is causing conditions to make this happen ?

Thank you the reply, would love to better understand what is going on in more depth

Btw your #wedontlabthesame is awesome lol

1 Like

for the bubble i always figured it was the solution trying to get away from the heat on the bottom, ive had diamond pucks do the same thing were they pick themselves up in certain spots or the whole thing will rise before i have applied any type of vacuum.

https://web.mit.edu/x-ray/cystallize.html

vapor diffusion from multiple pyrex in one oven.

4 Likes

We’ve had this happen. At the liquid air interface crystallization started and continued to grow into 2 layers of decent size stones. It seems to correlate with the speed of evaporation and higher saturation. When we noticed the top cx forming we capped the jars and let grow.
Also had a top crust layer form and continue to grow on pyrex dish. It seems to happen more when the saturation has increased and no lid cover on the dish.

3 Likes