Unable to induce nucleation!!

No, I took a couple grams off to test with, put it on parchment and gave direct heat and more heat and whipped it, folded it, I even tired talking nicely to it. Still just clear oil. It did thicken up a bit tho.

1 Like

If you have some previous nucleated product try a small batch of add to it. Nucleation usually spreads. Why seeding usually works well

2 Likes

You have to much CBD or all ur thca is thc

Seeding would really help to tell the tell

1 Like

If they havent sprayed during the hardening stage to harvest than they must have put a terpene booster in it. You caat see the terp booster but you can see if they have a film if its been sprayed. Tilt the slab around and see if they have a thin film on the tap layer. Its more a less the right angle to see this. Also at tje end of recovery you’re about to shut off the pump look inside the glass and see if they have a film on top of it. It will look like milky haze.

1 Like

@kingofnights you sir need to up your temps to like 106f and stay moderate vac to get some nucleation going.

106?? That’s hot

1 Like

Depending on its stability yea. His goal is to sugar up a slab. whatever temperature makes it the consistency where it will no longer snap, it will just stretch. I’m guessing 102-106 will start to sugar up the concentrate, might not even need to pull a vacuum. If you look at his post he went to 120f which is in my red flag range for oil but if the slab was really glassy and I needed to mess it up fast I might entertain 110-115 for a couple days but thats glass. For reference, Iv purged glassy shatter in a production flow for 3 hours/3 pulls at 106. All came out passing for residuals of course and only the slabs that were wrongfully left in the oven overnight in these conditions started to show signs of clouding/sugaring.

The shatter/oil is an emulsion and heating it up allows separation to occur faster. Basically everything I do to keep a shatter slab from sugaring Id reverse it. Id even run 50/50 gas blend to pull lighter molecules so I wouldn’t have to use as high temps.

This is strain dependent and elevation can play a part. if you use exact refrences you may not get the same results. You pulled shatter that passed solvent testing and was stable in three hours?

Yes scouts honor haha. An initial purge and 2 surface re-exposures.

Shatter is stable after the initial degas for me. The majority of product I run is decently resinous and I can say this is for months old product too. Cutting out propane virtually eliminated stability variability in my processing.

Does it have CBD? Higher CBD slabs don’t like to wax or sugar up.

can you send some to a lab for testing? My guess is its either a CBD dominant strain, or the materials been decarbed. Also have you tried any yet? Does it have an off taste like something was sprayed on the plant? I was running fresh frozen for a farm this past year and all there oil would come up almost fully decarbed, usually 50-60% THC and 1-5% THCA (should be other way around). This stuff would either not crystalize at all, or have maybe 5% of the total batch crystallize and the rest just like a syrup consistency. It also had an off taste almost like no matter the temp of banger it would taste like a hot hit. we determined it to be a certain fungicide they were spraying in flower that was causing the issue. My thought is the spray dehydrated the trichome heads and allowed them to dry out and crack, which then caused decarboxylation to occur. Once they stoped using this spray (I think it was called MPEDE) everything tested totally normal, crystalized like it should and tasted great.

would getting water in your solution during extraction cause no nucleation, or would it promote nucleation?

I’ve been struggling with this my last 4 or 5 runs. Nothing changed on the material side. I’m growing the same plants I’ve been growing that would rock up in under 12 hours.

I did add a small CRC column to my system. I ran last time without this though to see if it made a difference.

I recently added a pour spout to my collection base. I can’t recall if I had this problem before then though. Lack of notes is biting me in the ass this time.

My thoughts are maybe when I’m recovering in my water bath, water goes into the pour spout and a bit of moisture hangs out in there. I dry everything off before I open the bottom valve, but I would imagine some moisture is still in the spout.

I also switched back to puretane. Before I was filling my tank with cans that had a 70/30 blend… Now it’s just N-butane.

Confirmed the last run was not seeded at all… I’m leaning towards the water messing things up but I’m not sure if it would cause no nucleation or not.

After purging it dabs fine, just stays fairly soft and runny. Never really hardens up. I just purge it in a jar. It acts normal under full vac, but takes like 15-30 mins till all reaction is done. It dabs fine at this point… The extremely fast purge is odd to me.

If it’s not the water, maybe my plants are just higher in terps than before? I have been growing them better and better each cycle. I find this difficult to believe though in my situation…