Unable to induce nucleation!!

I’ve seen this a few times. Pyrex that just will not “dry out” and crumble. We just sent it to distillate but I assume it was the lack of thca in the starting product. I run plenty of higher cbd stuff and it crumbled up just fine.

3 Likes

What do you mean, like add wax crumbs from an already formed wax slab?

I know right, I’ve run all kinds of good and bad material before and no matter what their case was I’ve always been able to get nucleation. Sometimes it’s not much and ends up being very syrupy but still crystallized. This is not nucleating even in the slightest.

1 Like

Yea but not too much of the saucy stuff…blend it in here and there to be able to still move it without ruining the consistency of the stable products

4 Likes

If this happened to me first thing I would inspect is your solvent blend. Reason being when I utilize high propane blends under cold extraction parameters I end up with a product the viscosity of warm syrup. It has no structure as mentioned above, which I attribute to the lack of Required fat content to be stabilized into crumble shatter products etc.

only route for this type of oil is newer consistencies like sauce htfse. Which focus on crystallization of thca to resemble some structure.

Let me know if you find this to match your situation.

4 Likes

I use 100% butane.

1 Like

Cool, then I would ask what procedure was executed for dewaxing?

I know you said you did the exact same extraction technique so at that point I can end the diagnosis here and throw my hands up but with 100% butane there should be stability to the product unless it was improperly stored for a long period of time and degraded the resin. Even that would need to be bad storage for a long time.

With that being said if I took 100% butane extract and dewax stalled for 45-60 min I would expect to see the same warm syrup-like oleoresin.

Hope that helps a tiny bit :wave:

3 Likes

Maybe we should start at the beginning. I think we need more details about your parameters.

You haven’t mentioned how you actually do a run. My last guess in the dark without all the information is going to be exceptionally high terpene content.

Points of interest, temperature, dewax or not, media use, source of solvent, age of solvent, do you use mol sieve, condition/quality of material, etc.

3 Likes

Did they grow an autoflowering strain?

I chill my butane to the -40 range, I don’t do a full de wax, I filter down to 5 micron, butane not very old at all maybe 2mo at most, I do use a molecular sieve (3”x18”) cylinder, the flower going in seemed to be top shelf to me, very pungent and stoning smell, sticky buds, nice trim. Everything seemed right.

3 Likes

Put a small amount on parchment paper and leave it out for the day

1 Like

How could autoflowering play into it?

2 Likes

I do not know why exactly but every auto I’ve seen yielded some gooey extracts.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat with a slab right now, I use 100% n-butane. Ripper Acid Dough…it’s just not purging right. I did this last Saturday so it’s been in the oven for 7 days now. I’ll flip it and purge again but it will just end up with no activity after a couple hours.

I put in a batch of Rolex Kush about 12 hours after this slab was put in and it finished purging fine yesterday.

I had the oven set between 93-95f and it was fine for the Rolex Kush but the RAD kept showing barely any activity.

I now have the oven set to 120f and there are some bubbles around the edge but the whole inner part of the slab has barely any activity.

I’m thinking it’s very terpy and is causing this issue.

4 Likes

Well damn, must just be something in the cannabinoid content that doesn’t allow nucleation? So very odd.

CBD or THC

I still suggest taking a small amount out to air dry on parchment. If stays like the honey then u have high cbd or THC.

If the sample budders up after drying, u have some kind terp ,saturation ,heat issue going on

3 Likes

I had stuff awhile back in a jar for months without any reaction. Then i seeded it and poof, with in 24hr i had nucleation

4 Likes

What do you mean by seeded?

I put some suger crystal in it

1 Like

So bumping temp up didnt help

1 Like