Turning THC & CBD Water Soluble

Once my patent is filed and cemented I’ll share info on the process I use for nano drug delivery, should be another month or so

4 Likes

https://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1293&context=dissertations_2

I’ve learned a lot about nanoemulsions and how to make them from this person’s dissertation. Lots of good stuff in there.

7 Likes

https://www.sproutly.ca/infusionbio-technologies/

How about this? Anyone have info?

1 Like

The really useful information is in the investor presentation and patent application

1.pdf (46.2 KB)

8 Likes

For what its worth, in my experience, water soluble THC tends to create an experience much more similar to smoking when consumed orally as opposed to regular infusions.

I’m inclined to think that the way the liver has to break down whatever was used to encapsulate it causes much less of it to convert to the 11-hydroxy metabolite, which in turn “feels” more like smoking.

Water-sol gummies and hiking is one of my favorite activities.

8 Likes

Is this a water soluble product that you have created or bought? A lot of literature out there has water soluble products hitting in 30 mins which isn’t that far off an edible for most people. Does your experience hit within 10 minutes and you can gauge the high more like smoking?

It’s purchased, it doesn’t hit in 10 minutes, depends on my digestion, 30 minutes max with me though. It also generally feels like fewer mg than traditional edibles, I can eat 50 mg of the water sol and be totally fine and full of energy, 50 mg of a traditional edible, or just distillate for that matter, makes me pretty sleepy. The exception is distillate with uplifting terpenes, still more stoney than the water-sol stuff, but, it doesn’t couch lock me.

@ShearGuy @ArtOfUndoing This might be a dumb question but hopefully someone can help me clear this up. I bought some sunflower lecithin powder that is about 54% phospholipids by weight, the rest being other fats. When using lecithin powder, do you calculate the % by weight in the emulsion based on the phospholipid content, or the total amount of powder?

For example, lets say I am using this formulation from Hielscher, making 100 gram of solution: 2wt% CBD oil (= 2 grams), 2wt% Polysorbate 80 (= 2 grams), 1wt% Lecithin (=1 gram), 95wt% (= 950 grams) water

With my powder that is 54% phospholipid content (of which 46% of that 54% is phosphatidylcholine), would you use 1.85g lecithin powder (because 1g/0.54g = 1.85g), or would you use 1g of powder?

Based on the “95 wt% water” in their formulation, I would think I’d use 1g of the lecithin.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’d assume it was the weight of actual active content that you need. The weaker the product the more you’d need to use. I use sunflower lecithin in oil based products but didn’t have good luck with it in emulsion testing.

1 Like

Are you saying zero difference in time of onset or overall bioavailability? What was the method of creating the emulsion?

Why don’t you just buy pure PC?

It is my understanding that Lecithin is a mix of phospholipids and not just PC…

“The term “Lecithin“ describes the complex mixture of phospholipids and other natural occurring concomitant components like triglycerides, fatty acids, sterols and glycolipids”

Source: http://www.lipoid.com/en/lecithin

1 Like

Have you had any experience using any polysaccharides for encapsulation of the nano-emulsion and freeze drying to make a water soluable powder? if so what ones have you found to work best?

CBD in ethanol added to Vodka may be the subject of a patent, but it is essentially undefendable.

2 Likes

Freeze drying is not the route I would recommend. The equipment is relatively cheap but the costs associated with freeze drying can get ridiculously high, depending on the scale you’re working at. The formulations are pretty difficult to develop and there isn’t a “one size fits all” carrier you can use. It’s also a pretty finicky procedure and unless you have someone experienced on staff, you’re likely to run into problems that aren’t easily solvable.

Spray drying is definitely the better technique for going from nanoemulsion to powder. It’s considerably faster than freeze drying and once you’ve paid for the equipment, it isn’t too expensive or difficult to run. Lactose works really well for microencapsulation. It’s cheap and safe (with exceptions for the lactose intolerant). It will make the solution cloudy when the powder is resuspended though. If clarity is an issue, polysaccharides aren’t typically the way to go. A food grade polymer would be more suitable.

Some of the companies that sell spray dryers will even do the work for you. They’ll take a sample of your emulsion and make sure it can be spray dried before you purchase their equipment. If you do purchase, they’ll share the process with you. Can’t beat that.

If spending a minimum of $90,000 on a spray dryer isn’t reasonable for what you’re doing, there are plenty of contract labs that do spray drying. A lot of them will formulate it for you. Probably not an option if THC is involved, but CBD should be fine.

5 Likes

I know this is a bit late of a response, but you are correct in that you would want to use 1g of the lecithin.

I much prefer high pressure homogenization. You get more uniform particle sizes which tends to produce more stable emulsions. It’s also easier to get reproducible results and it’s easier to scale up. Ultrasonic processing has its place, but IMO its place is not here.

1 Like

Hey Holos, did you ever get Ann answer to this?!

Let’s Chat. Are you still south?

hey there. are you still able to provide this service? email me at chempistry@gmail.com if so!