Trouble distilling

I am running a short path 5L from across international. I’m at 120 microns and boiling flask liquid temp is at 177°C. So far only what appears to be a couple drops burnt terps have passed through, along with some smokey wisps which condense at the cold finger. I have my condenser at 20°C and what little is dripping off it is coming out like water. Nothing resembling cannabinoids distilling. Any ideas what’s going on here? @Dred_pirate @cyclopath @Kingofthekush420 @tweedledew

1 Like

You need to be above the boiling point of thc in order to distill, I distill at 200c+ on my setup but I crank that shit up for speed lol I could get away with 190c.

2 Likes

I usually pull thc around 170 head temp, cbd around 160

4 Likes

Crank it up to 190, wait 10 mins
195, wait 10 mins
200 and let her rid

This is for mains, assuming your done with the Terps/ residual solvent/h20

7 Likes

Got it. I’ve been scared to bump boiling flask past 175 cuz that’s what I run my wiped film at.

1 Like

What’s a solid condenser temp for CBD distillation? @Kingofthekush420 @Demontrich

You should be able to turn the condensor up to 65c, or more. I mean unless it doesn’t go that hot. What was your head temp

1 Like

It’s coming through with a head temp of 196.8°C and a boiling flask temp of 214.8°C, currently at 200 microns. Condenser is at 40, I’ll turn it up to 60

1 Like

Yep still pulling fart fraction

1 Like

Farts seeming to die down and the juice is seeming a lot more like disty now.

Is this where you’d normally start collecting your body?

Heads come first they are very watery compared to mains- when you see the mains you’ll know. They will be amber colored and thick.

I run my condenser head at 135-155C and have never done anything else so what I see in the condenser may be v diff than what you see

2 Likes

Wow wow. 214 is too high. Bring that down and scale up slower. Stop at 205C. Head temp will be in the high 170’s when cannabinoids start coming over.
tenor

10 Likes

I’ve been at a steady 218°C in my boiling flask and 206°C at my head’s. I’m at 120-150 microns. She’s pouring through haha.

2 Likes

For future runs I will definitely be doing a devolatilization pass through the wiped film before going to distill from now on. The weird thing is my vacuum regulator is showing 2.3 mmHg but the wiped film pump and diffusion pump I have hooked up to my short path says the vacuum is at 0.100-0.130 mmHg, so I don’t know what to trust. I was getting no noticeable (to my novice eyes) movement of cannabinoids until like 215°C, 218°C got it really moving.

Your diffusion pump only hits 130 micron?
.13 mmhg is 130 micron right?

Yes. The rotary vane only hits 250. Is that a problem @Thetetraguy

Diffusion pumps need a certain vac depth to opperate for else the diffusion pump oil Will burn
Not all oils are the same so check
Diffusion Manuel and oil ratings
If your Rotary vane is. Not pulling 50 mic or less blanked of needs Some love either Some good flushing or a rebuild
What size pump to the flask ? In cfm ?

2 Likes

What happens when you go straight in without distilling terps