Trouble distilling

Wiped film and batch distillation are two different animals when it comes to temperature.The temperature on a wiped film will always be lower than a pot distillation due to heat transfer into the material and the small mass (film) on the wiped film still heated surface area. So a lot of heat into a small amount of material equals a distillation at lower temperature. The pot is pretty much the opposite, whereas the evaporation takes place at the surface of the liquid in the boiling flask and you are heating up a large amount of material below that. Heat and time are not your friend when distilling natural materials and usually end up producing odoriferous byproducts of degradation. Mixing the pot or adding boiling chips to the pot can help, but the effects are not all that impressive when doing low vacuum distillations…hard to find a mixer for glass pots that seals effectively under high vacuum. So basically, the wiped film temperatures don’t correlate all that well with pot distillations…there are more factors…but I am just touching on the basics.

4 Likes

You have to remember your wiper has wayyy deeper vac which changes the boiling points, it also takes some energy to get the vapor to overcome gravity and make it up the head.

2 Likes

If you’re at 130 microns with diffusion on your burning your diff pump oil, you MUST be under 100 microns or the oxygen in the system will burn that expensive ass oil. You should only be using it on second pass too unless you have some badass cold traps

I go 20 degrees under what my head temp is for condenser temp

1 Like

It’s water and terps still. Also you have a leak because they should have stopped at 160-170 max and the rest would be gooey heads section

@Kingofthekush420 You aren’t burning any oil. Your soaking the oil with molecules and not allowing then to diffuse in the chamber as a jet. Diffusion won’t ever really burn the oil. It’s not how it works. At high rate of vacuum around 130 he’s most likely generating silicone oil on the roughing pump from the air movement spashing the vapor around in the diffusion.

2 Likes

You can go up or down. Won’t affect it unless you babe air being dragged in.

You have a leak or numerous issues.

Your short path will devol faster and further into a fraction. You have leaks and pulp issues. Literally could even have a crack in a hose. Your process parameters are off. So that means there’s a hardware issue.

Also the guy who commented that wipers have more heat or vacuum is not correct. It’s about what ancillary hear each one has. If you compare a china SPD worth a china mantle and a 10cfm cheapo pump you’ll be running in circles. You can achieve as much of a vacuum on SPD as you can wipers and in fact you’ll develop more controlled pressures on a spd since a wiper takes numerous parts of the body and tails with it when distilling.

3 Likes

You’re incorrect sir. A wiper seals better then any SPD. It also has better seperation as your pulling deeper vacuum on a thin layer instead of on a ball of crude. If you hook up the same diff pump on a wiper and spd the wiper will pull and distill at a deeper vac. Guaranteed.

2 Likes

This isn’t true at all. You are simply confused and making a statement as fact based on your opinion. What you said is 100% not true at all.

Short paths have more fluid being heated. They develop different pressures. This is why you think that way. Where wipers have very little fluid on them and develop lower pressures. Also the pressure is bias to the movement of molecules. Wipers have more joints and more leaks but have less fluid on them. That’s why your vac dips.

Bro I run a VTA I distill at under 3 microns. You must not be thinking straight. You’re the confused one. Let’s have a contest. Your Rocco glass SPD against my 6 inch steel VTA lol

2 Likes

If I win, you have to never come back to the forums. If you win I’ll leave.

7 Likes

You get a mixed flask with heads, mains, residual solvent/h20 in the mix.

This is why I hold my BF temps under 185-190 as long as possible before the party starts.

2 Likes

Any day of the week. This will be my 20th side by side. So load up your hear and bring it over. We can distill at the same pressures or lower. I’m not sure why you want to fight about this. The trick is being able to do ot or not. If you were unable to distill on a spd at low enough pressures then that’s not my problem.

1 Like

Because you’re spreading shit that’s plain false. Everyone agrees on it.

Keep spining you wheels. Just because you had user error a d bought a different machine isn’t any reason to lie on this thread.

You have said many innacurate things on this forum and I should probably correct you before you miseducated more people on here

Lol the fact you even think your glass can compare to a wiper shows you really arent as smart as you think you are. Show me anything I’ve said that’s wrong. You’re the only one spewing misinformation.

Rofl proof or it never happened. Still waiting to see those videos of 6 liters an hour that arent on your IG.

I had the largest vacuum Warranty centers
in the USA take random glass of mine and use adapters we make and we were able to hold 11 scale on a helium leak detector. There aren’t rotary bearing for vacuum on your machine that can have beyond a micron approx. Your wiper if it has orings on the joints can’t go below 1 micron to about half a micron. These are results supplied by the avs and done on nist validated test benches. You can come into my shop and I have turbos in my shop I use daily to show customers this factual reading each time. Anytime anyone asks. The question is do you own the hardware used to validate these claims ive made like I do. Because I do own that hardware and I use it daily. I bet you don’t even Own one nist certified guage and your sitting here talking out the side of your head. When own this type of analytical hardware we should ha e this convo.

2 Likes

What’s it ig, I’ll tag it.

@labscali