Tried some CRC Shatter...Tastes like VIck's Vap-o-rub. What gives?

So I recently purchased some concentrates from a dispensary here in CO. The brand was ‘Boulder Built - Ghost Shatter’. I purchased 2 grams of Mac and Cheese shatter at 20$ a piece. Not too shabby for dispensary prices. Get home open up the containers and I’m immediately greeted by the smell of Vicks vap-o-rub. The oil tastes exactly as it smells, Vicks. This material has clearly been through CRC…anyone have any idea why it tastes the way it does? Anyone have a similar experience? Is this a marker of some media left in the oil? Thanks in advance for any insights.

7 Likes

If it smells like Vick’s they probably just added eucalyptus oil to it… Yikes

I never add str8 essential oils to my bho but I do like to extract some lavender buds(5%) mixed in with og strains from time to time.

6 Likes

Never had that
Sounds more like a cut

6 Likes

Sheesh… i hope not :nauseated_face: Definitely against regs to add anything like that without it being explicitly listed as an ingredient. Certinly doesn’t mean it can’t happen but seems such a silly risk. The flavor and smell are so distinct it certainly ruins the smoking experience.

1 Like

I would go back in and ask for my money back and suggest they stop selling this product.

9 Likes

I know the owner of the spot where I swooped it, I know he’ll take care of me. I’ll be sure to let him know what I think of the product as well. Would really like to be able to nail down what this flavor is. Not like anyhting I’ve ever encountered.

There’s been a lot of mysterious Vick’s slabs floating around but this is the first I’ve heard of in a licensed dispensary. Assumed it was a new cut or people adding fake terps like Eucalyptol or camphene. Not sure what part of the CRC process would cause this but your guess is as good as mine. I’ve been posting about the mystery Vick’s slabs for the last couple months trying to find out what is going on because it’s suddenly been popping up. If anyone finds anything let me know.

Perhaps they’re losing all the terps on CRC and trying to reintroduce terpenes… just not using very good ones.

4 Likes

It could be the removal of polar flavonoids enhances the flavor of non polar terpenes and the dominant terpene or terpene profile tastes that way. I could be completely wrong but if I were to add terpenes to a concentrate personally, I’d shoot for lemonine or d lemonine to make it taste like oranges or lemons. Not something that made it taste minty.

3 Likes

residual alcohol can come off as a sort of menthol type smell/flavor too, maybe it wasnt purged too well?

4 Likes

After smoking it with a few of the buddies we’ve come to a similar conclusion. We’re Thinking the CRC stripped quite a lot of the nuanced terpenes seen in cannabis. This almost tastes like a botanical blend trying to mimic cannabis. Where all the macro terpenes are in place at the right ratios but the non quantified minor terpenes/flavanoids etc…have been stripped by the media. It just feels off… And the super floral/potpourri, vicks vaporub smell was identified by all. Smooth vapor, easy on the lungs, the flavor is just…really weird.

“It could be the removal of polar flavonoids enhances the flavor of non polar terpenes and the dominant terpene or terpene profile tastes that way. I could be completely wrong but if I were to add terpenes to a concentrate personally, I’d shoot for lemonine or d lemonine to make it taste like oranges or lemons. Not something that made it taste minty.”

@Sirsmokesalot

Exactly! Thinking something similar for sure!

3 Likes

I know what you mean and I’m familiar with EToH residuals. This was Butane extracted, and the residuals show 0ppm for EToH or Iso.

1 Like

It would have to be something along those lines for sure. I doubt they’re adding boofy terpenes. Most would rather smoke something that tastes like nothing at all than a mouth full of vapor rub. Then again, the consumers aren’t always the best educated lol

2 Likes

I also have encountered the very odd minty profile in some CRC bho a trapper was selling as hash rosin - take that for what you will.

3 Likes

The first time I tried CRC, the shit that came out smelled exactly like Vick’s. I ran B80 and Silica Pulver only. I think baking the B80 cleared up the smell.

1 Like

Very interesting…:thinking:

And now that I think of it, I think it happened again when I OVER baked the B80. It actually had some blue spots in it and the B80 itself smelled exactly like Vick’s so I just tossed it.

Remember when average gold/tan shatter was enough to make a sale?

11 Likes

Remember when “if it didn’t shatter it didn’t matter” :joy:

13 Likes

Bahaha boy times they are a changin’

I remember my dark stuff wholesaling for 10 a g circa 2010

3 Likes