Tricks of the trade

anyone have any tips for a seized glass syringe? i’ve tried heat, i’ve tried soaking it in ethanol… :frowning:

acetone

3 Likes

@thesk8nmidget
my-man-denzel-washington
just soak that bihhh overnight i assume?

1 Like

Sonication may also help…

2 Likes

the longer the better for sure, leaving it overnight should do it, most of the stubborn glass joints i havent been able to free would free with an acetone soak.

Sonication would also absolutely help.

2 Likes

i have a sonicator… should i sonicate with acetone? water and surfactant?

Acetone. We usually use secondary containment.

ie sealed glass jar in the (aqueous) bath

9 Likes

But i want to dump a bucket of acetone in a jewelry cleaner nowwwwwww

Acetylene torch, can’t be stuck if it’s a liquid…

Nah, but overnight soak in acetone, if it’s REALLY stubborn I’ll seal the part and acetone up in a mason jar and drop it in the ultrasonic with warm water. That clears up everything.

4 Likes

For all you whippers out there who need both hands, throw your tray on this and it won’t move. Painters tape folded sticky side out held down by Gorilla tape. The painters tape won’t leave residue on your pan but strong enough to stay put.

14 Likes

Just found these, for those with smaller home grows that want inexpensive fire suppression

35$ is pretty good for something that’s hard to put a price on :+1:
They explode at 320° and release chemical fire suppressant

7 Likes

Don t have the same brand but the same product and they work when you need them most best investment you can do is one of these every 6-8 feet appart

4 Likes

This is the only acceptable method.

Oh please don’t anyone fill up flammable solvent in a primary sonication bath!!!

For large items plastic bags of ethanol work fine (obvs not acetone. Lol).

In fact you can alternate between a sous vide and sonication bath with plastic bags of ethanol containing fritted filters.

4 Likes

johnbigoilco

Feb '22

If your system starts leaking mid run and you want to “tighten” your brass nuts but they were already properly torqued, use another brass nut behind it as a backer before you tighten. I had a tech back in the trap days panic when the collection pot started leaking. He started cranking the nut tighter and the system was -60 and the nut gave out. Shot the collection pot through the roof of a house, material column sticking out the roof, the 12" clamp popped off and broke his collar bone. Only 18 psi in the system but on 12" that is alot of pressure. The backer nut in these situations will hold the clamp on if one nut breaks. the trick is to have no gap between nuts and tighten both at the same time.

15 Likes

Gold pure gold

Just don’t use 12” clamps…

8 Likes

Came up with these as the correct size to replace the o-rings on the swagelok quick connects(3/8 and 1/2"). Verify for your application

1/2" QC rebuild
fkm oring 14x1.78
fkm oring 12.42x1.78 - highest wear
fkm oring 9.25x1.78

3/8" QC rebuild
fkm oring 10.82x1.78
fkm oring 9.25x1.78 - highest wear
fkm oring 6.07x1.78

9 Likes

The makeshift air dryier when you run out of gas it s better than plain air
Really easy on the valves 1-2L a minute
Should be your flow for it to work properly

1 Like

Triclamp adapter 307: 1.5” x 1/2” external shutoff valve, vise-grip style

…also comes in c-clamp style.

12 Likes

Wonder if you could throttle the flow by adjusting the twisty bit at the handle end of the vice grip

1 Like