Tricks of the trade

Cloning scalpel is a good tool for anyone who gets a splinter. Wood or brass.

4 Likes

I always used a tiny needle/tweezers for this but I see the application. Damn tho

buy new stuff sometimes. a handle on a 5 gal bucket just snapped in the middle and got my carpet and feet wet. its a 15 year old bucket. I also just pulled a fan that is from 2004 running 24/7 the whole time. fantech

1 Like

thats not how a dr would do it, they would pull it back out and the scalpel cuts cells and allows bad guys in vs pluckingish and they cells break along the walls and less entry of bad things like a virus. I think? i mean while cloning. I do use a scissor on clones but most defoliation is plucking.

2 Likes

We all use a bunch of mason jars and have had the glue give out while moving the boxes or stacking them. Next time your preparing for a run, try cutting neatly the top plastic off the 12pk. To give yourself a support band for the box, bonus points if you re use the top piece as a separation layer on bottom between glass and cardboard.

Peace :v:

7 Likes

Also works to cover cases with the cardbord too.

1 Like

If you have the right collet size you can use stick electrodes with a TIG torch lol.

18 Likes

This is golden, I’ve only seen a old timer do it once.

4 Likes

I was never lucky enough to work with any older folks ti teach me cool stuff like this. I just run out of argon mid practice lol.

5 Likes

Been playing with my new Amazon tig welder. It truly is an art! Totally dig those welds!

3 Likes

It’s kinda tough to adjust to the new grip angle when ur burning rods using a tig torch.

I’m out of practice with tig welding now.

4 Likes

Have link to the machine ?

You do seem like you got some skills though, bro!! Fuck I love welding - I’m certified in Stick/mig, myself. It’s hilarious because ‘welding shop’ was the code for where you stick the idiots when I was in tech school but the welders that kept at it are making like 35-40 an hour with bonuses!

4 Likes

Yeah I can imagine that not being the most comfortable set up. Still though, those beads look better than mine!

1 Like

Yeah brotha! It’s the S7 tig welder from amazon. Here’s a link.

I paid 199$, but I see it listed for 168$ now.
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Welding-Inverter-Manufacturers-Warranty/dp/B083HZGYCP/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3LI69YYNCZ669&keywords=tig+welder&qid=1658154974&sprefix=tig+%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-3

8 Likes

Try to turn your gas flow up, that orange dust usually indicates that your tungsten is burning. Also get a thick piece of steel to practice on, it makes learning easier when you’re not worried about blowing a hole through it.
@MedicineManHempCo

6 Likes

I appreciate the advice! I have been running a #8 cup and I have heard that you double the cup size for the gas flow. I have been running at 20CFH argon. I have also heard 1 amp per thou thickness of work piece, would you concur on those 2 metrics? Was running ~100amp on the .065in angle iron. I practiced a bit more yesterday and was able to get okay looking beads. As I get steadier hands, I expect them to improve.

4 Likes

The recommended amperage to material thickness for welding isn’t something I pay much attention to. Same with the gas flow to cup size. I keep a lot of scrap metal around so I always dial in gas flow and amperage on a test piece instead of relying on one of those amperage/thickness charts.

I won’t even buy a proper argon regulator so I don’t know what gas flow I use, I just lick my lip and let the torch blow argon on it to guage flow rate.

I was never taught how to weld and I’m not certified in any style of welding so I’m probably not the best teacher.

5 Likes

One could save some money by buying a rollbar chiller insted of a lab chiller.

As long as your chilling needs are not crazy for few hundred bucks you can get a secondhand one. And the best part is they have an ice bank. Great energy sink do to very high energy barrier between phases.

I have a 1.5kW chiller for my 5kW 20L roto. It has a 100L reservoir and it makes up to 80kg ice bank. I have it on a timer. It turns on in the middle of the night and uses cheaper energy to generate ice. It’s ready to go by the time I’m in the lab.

For 5L roto I use small 200W unit with 10kg ice bank that costed $120.

With 10% PPG it reaches -3C and as long as there is ice temperature will not go above 0C. With an addon like this (second stage chiller) you can chill incoming 0-4C liquid to -8C:

6 Likes

Can you expand on rollbar chiller @borysses? I cant find any info on em

3 Likes