Tricks of the trade

Poured liquid in deu to centrifuge force iT all gets fillterd fast
Ps i know styrofoam Well i am a Rogue lab sorry

1 Like

6 Likes

what is this device? I get it’s a diy centrifuge but it sounds like you repurposed and modified something but i don t know what it is lol.

1 Like

Its a speed filter for large amounts of fluid
A 1 micron filterbag with Some Carbon inside spins at 3200 rpm fluid go s in to the funnel falls inside the filterbag deu to centrifuge force gets pushed out treu the filter media and runs out filtered
Thats iT works way faster than vacuum asisted filtration
Just another mad mans solution😂

24 Likes

Recommend adding a pressure release valve to your honeypot, preferably with a hose leading outside. Really helps slurp locked/absorbed solvent from the material in the columns. Sure, wastes a bit vaporized solvent but more than enough is salvaged to make up for the vapor lost, as well as variably higher yields.

4 Likes

Does anyone know the secret splatter platter loading tek?
Im sure those if you with rack mounted extractors have had the pleasure of mounting a heavy platter to the bottom of a 12" sanataty spool. You have to hold the heavy bastard in place with the gasket alligned, and somehow manage to get the clamps around it at the same time.
This is my trick to mounting these unwildey platters.

1. allign the gasket on the platter.
  2. connect a vaccum pump to the spools lid and turn the pump on.
  3. hold the platter up to the bottom of the spool with the gasket alligned.
  4. The pump will hold the entire weight of the platter, this allows you to let go of the platter and use both of your hands to attach the clamp.
    This trick saves a bunch of time, and allows one person to do the work of what used to be two.
68 Likes

THANK YOU!!

I haven’t had to play that trick yet, but I’ve got an OSS rig lying around here that I’m eyeing for parts…

A lab jack works pretty well with an 8" platter, but those 12" jacketed platters are truly unwieldy.

Edit: does anyone have bad things to say about the OSS branded instrumentation valves?

6 Likes

This is awesome. I dont have a 12" extractor nor is it rack mounted…BUT i do have a 10" extractor which is not rack mounted and its such a PITA to get my platter back on by myself ive been dis-assembling my whole collection pot to mount the spool to the platter then the lid.

Im gonna have to try this vacuum technique! Thanks a bunch

6 Likes

Their 3 piece 3/8" ball valves leak after about 6 months of use at cryo temps.

2 Likes

Have you tried rebuilding it? I often have to clean mine to keep them functioning right. Usually a tear down and a iso bath gets me going well agai.

7 Likes

Brilliant :smile::+1:

1 Like

Good to know. I concidered them a temporary fix when I installed them.

The packing nut on Swageloks will also loosen up from thermal cycling eventually.

Problem is, the flow path on a 3/8” Swagelok is only 1/4”.

Anyone got a favorite full port instrumentation ball-valve for cryogenic (-70C) use??

2 Likes

have tou tightened the packings?

Is that a Panda spin drier?

Well i guess something very similar i am in europe and this is My version😜

2 Likes

I got mine from south Korea have to look up the brand work Well
Cryo ball valve i used as search

3 Likes

Soxhlet
Regular
3h
good news, your column load wont be dictated by your solvent capacity. try loading the column with stainless ball berings and keif that should help disperce the solvent. If your bering metal is a low grade stainless they may be magnetic, you can use a magnet to agitate the inside of the column. Your filtration will need to be staged as to not clog, start with rough papers and finish with fine filter papers.

2 Likes

Trick of the trade
Stainless steel berings of bad quality magnetic and and a magnet to agitate inside your cls🤡

8 Likes

did you break your spout on the Panda Spinner? It looks like you have something white on that part.
I just broke mine yesterday and hoping you might have a solution.

https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/2X/7/7b8deab24d72f0d167af34ec73052cb3c1f808f9.jpg

No in europe we have different brands
With different colors sorry
Found this in a other tread that might help try to use different materials instead of silicone and pvc not so good with ethanol
Any way of gleu ing iT with epoxy ?
Good luck getting her back on track