Tricks of the trade

So where’s a link to this material

1 Like

https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=sheets

Right here!

13 Likes

You’re da man.

2 Likes

Making sure I understand this correctly, how tall are you guys making it? I’ve got a 3" crc column would 4-6" be the right height. So I just roll the fabric as tight as possible and push it under where the clays are going inside column, is that pretty much all that needs to be done?

3 Likes

Essentially yes, use it in place of your sintered filter. I took some pics for someone else, I’ll send em to you as well. I imagine you’ll want to use some kind of support above it, just under your powders though.

As far as length, I think using a total of 3" of filter, which was good enough for my 4" crc spool.

@CollectiveObjective was the op of this trick, I’m just using his idea.

7 Likes

Here’s the pics for anyone else that’s interested, this was after I did a run, just threw it back together for pics.

Note, I put the support plate towards the powders when assembled.

8 Likes

Thanks! Pictures help so much, cant wait to try it out

5 Likes

It was a game changer for me as far as flow, I’m in that group who would encounter flow issues with a sinter.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t run without a sintered disk, personally, but every setup is different and I experience 0 flow issues. this is more of another catch all for my application, but i absolutely love it! Great share

2 Likes

I have no Idea why, but even with a 5um sintered filter, it felt like I was fighting everything.

Tbh, this can easily replace a sintered filter any day (I base this off of reading I’m doing and some of the comments I’ve read here)

Particulate filtration is more about the depth of the filter over the material, with a sintered filter, your filter depth is only as thick as the metal sinter, whereas with this you can make it infinite, but I stopped at 3". If a sintered plate is about an 1/8", this is 24x the depth.

Personally, I think we all kinda got caught up on the discs because that’s what we first read about, and it looks cool. Depth filtration can be accomplished in much easier, and cheaper ways. That’s my opinion anyways. That being said, a wad of this on top of your sintered filter would probably go a long way of keeping it in good condition!

15 Likes

Yeah I do agree with you. I just like the solid support of a disk is all. and the medium I use abve the plate is rated to contain no particle size below 8 micron. Ive been preaching the fiter redundancy and medium washes for a while now and this really is the best filter ive seen yet! Hope they arent mad for me wanting some more toys for christmas hahahha

3 Likes

I think washing the media before a run is super important as well! I’m pretty sure proper media prep would make any filter solution much easier to work with. No harm in a redundant system either, if you don’t have the flow issues, might as well right?

3 Likes

Yeah just want to cover my ass as much as possible. Alaska doesn’t distinguish between rec and medical but i just assume make it as safe and clean as I can for those who are medical users, or have compromised immune systems. Also I like to set the standard not adhere to it! Lots of haters out there and it feels good to shove a spool of ptfe felt in their mouths haha.

2 Likes

Dude! This is so awesome!! Great find and thanks for plugging us in man!

2 Likes

I’m sure he’s sick of me tagging him, but @CollectiveObjective was the one to share with everyone! I just took his instructions and went with it.

It works so well, and it’s so cheap!

Cheers brotha!

10 Likes

Right on! Looks proper! Glad to hear/see this is so useful to yall!

7 Likes

This was a game changer for me.

It blew my mind when you first told us all lol.

Thanks so much for the tip!

4 Likes

Thanks bro!

2 Likes

0.5m is hard to wind tightly, but about 15’ will get you 4" ID and 30’ roll will get u 6" ID.
I tested a 6" roll (3" x 30’ of felt) ontop of my T5 CRC column and saw a huge improvement on flow, maybe 2x better.

11 Likes

I’m thinking of using in my 3" dewaxer? i would think a 1" bed of each 5um and 1um? Has any one tried it in their dewaxer, non crc?
I was thinking 3x36 dewaxer with 2 filte plates, first top plate the 1" bed of the 5um with a fast lab paper under , and in the 2nd filter plat asame bed of 1um and another paper, anyone have thoughts?
i run pasive, nbute, n2

3 Likes