Tricks of the trade

I’m setup to do a run tomorrow, I’ll let everyone know as well how it works out.

I’m all giddy like a school girl to see how this works!

7 Likes

So I just finished trying this out. And it’s freaking awesome, no flow issues at all.

Made a little 3" cartridge, with both the 5 and 1 micron, and it looks like nothing came through. On top of this I had a fast filter paper, then the powders. So: powders, fast filter paper, 100 mesh buna gasket, 3" spool with support plate upside down (backing the screened gasket) stuffed with 1 and 5 micron felt filter, buna gasket, cap.

Washing the crc with clean butane I had no leftovers, and I couldn’t feel any grit between my fingers.

This is a freaking game changer for me.

16 Likes

Flowed better than the sintered discs?

Dude, fuck those things compared to this.

It’s freaking night and day difference.

7 Likes

How’d u get it in so tight? Did u compress the filter u made any to get it in or what

1 Like

If you turn your cork stands upside down they can hold smaller flasks

8 Likes

Just rolled it up with my hands, and then pushed it on in. It compressed pretty well, but not too much, and then I used a packer rod to push it all the way in. It’s surprisingly tight in there, but still has plenty of flow through it.

5 Likes

Check your dm.

Just sent you some strips to play with.

The wider one is the 5 micron, and the other is 1. They’re 3’ long, which should be enough to pack on of your spools. If you need bigger, I’d just cut the pieces into 1.5" strips, it seems like more than enough depth.

6 Likes

Does any powder make it past the depth filter? Have you tried to see if any powders are settling?

1 Like

None that I see, like at all. Before I attached the felt filter, I did do a quick prewash first though.

Once I ran all of my material, I injected some clean butane through and let a little squirt out onto my finger, didn’t feel any grit.

I looks and feels completely particle free!

3 Likes

Good shit, and that fiber filter media is cheap? I think that material your using would be perfect to make a high efficiency dewaxing spool.

8 Likes

Super cheap,

I used a 1.5" strip of each of the 1 and 5um in a 1.5" spool, it took about 19" and 24" respectively of each to pack the spool tight. So one 3*6 sheet is so much. Bigger spools you’d just need to cut the sheet length wise.

Each sheet is between about 10-20 bucks, depending on material and pore size.

6 Likes

So where’s a link to this material

1 Like

https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=sheets

Right here!

13 Likes

You’re da man.

2 Likes

Making sure I understand this correctly, how tall are you guys making it? I’ve got a 3" crc column would 4-6" be the right height. So I just roll the fabric as tight as possible and push it under where the clays are going inside column, is that pretty much all that needs to be done?

3 Likes

Essentially yes, use it in place of your sintered filter. I took some pics for someone else, I’ll send em to you as well. I imagine you’ll want to use some kind of support above it, just under your powders though.

As far as length, I think using a total of 3" of filter, which was good enough for my 4" crc spool.

@CollectiveObjective was the op of this trick, I’m just using his idea.

7 Likes

Here’s the pics for anyone else that’s interested, this was after I did a run, just threw it back together for pics.

Note, I put the support plate towards the powders when assembled.

8 Likes

Thanks! Pictures help so much, cant wait to try it out

5 Likes

It was a game changer for me as far as flow, I’m in that group who would encounter flow issues with a sinter.

4 Likes