Tricks of the trade

IT is @Soxhlet his invention i am sure hè be delighted with this News
:+1:

4 Likes

I like using these. Highest quality parchment I’ve found and the sheets are perfect size for oven shelves.

2 Likes

I’ve had really good luck with this manual vacuum sealer. It works on any type of container with lid. You punch a hole in the lid with a thumb tack, and put a tab over it and pull the air out with the hand pump. The tab has adhesive on the sides, so it stays on the lid and can be sealed over and over. It’s really handy if you have to keep opening the jar to get stuff out, it’s much faster then getting out the food saver and attachment.

Pump n Seal https://pump-n-seal.com/

I don’t know how deep the vac is compared to a food saver or vacuum oven method, but the lid is held down pretty good. It would be interesting to put a gauge on a jar and compare vac levels.

17 Likes

Everyone has posted precut parchment for the big ovens here is some for the lil guys with a .9cu ft oven with the 11 x 10" shelves. This stuff is thin but a 1" lip holds up just fine and wax separates just fine so i’ve had no issues with it especially for 250 sheets under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QD3BGI8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12 Likes

I love these things. I use the big ones, but these are so handy and headache saving.

3 Likes

Kinda of a trick, more like a fix

On the re501 5l rotovap, heres the fix to the noisy motor. Its motor lash, from what usalabs tech support called it. It makes a horrible shaking/off balance vibration.

Fix
Remove 5l bf
Remove motor cover (3x small screws)
Carefully loosen 4x motor mount screws about 2-4mm max.
Wiggle motor back and fourth, gently.
Tighten those 4x motor mount screws
Turn on and see of it still vibrates or is back to normal.

This fixed mine.

I couldnt go over 72rpm last night, was vibrating way too much. Now smooth as can be.

13 Likes

Demontrich, was this gear lash? Does the drive motor have a gear on it? I regularly use paper to set gear lash on machines of all kinds. Running a piece of paper between meshing gears will give a .003-.004 gear lash. So loosening the motor mounts, wiggling the motor, and tightening is changing the gear lash, but is a shot in the dark. If you would like any more detail on gear lash…holler. You should see some of the old timy gear hobb machines ive had to set up…gears for days.

Edit - the paper trick is for straight cut gears only. No bevel gears, worm gears, helical cut gears etc.

9 Likes

I believe thats what the tech support guy said.

6 Likes

@Killa12345 I don’t know if this has made it here yet or not but for passive recovery in coolers this is must! Thank u so much for the tip!

I recover 5.5lbs in 25-30min 84-85f

Lifting it off the cooler really speeds things up, otherwise ur collection pot freezes to this bottom, getting it up some really let’s water under it good…so good I’m missing my pour off!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ABYVTZA/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_old_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15 Likes

IT hasn t And You realy have. A point
Please edit a short explanation of iT s use :fist_right: Great

3 Likes

Thanks for the credit. I’ve been using these in my recovery coolers for about 5 years. Keeps the bottom of your collection tank off the bottom of your not jacketed.

Cheap $8 makes recovery about 25% faster on flat bottom
Splatter platters.

8 Likes

When mixing solvent with filtering media, I put both in Mason jar with lid on, shake, adjust mixture for desired consistency, and pour out into funnel. Way easier then stirring and way faster. Uniform consistency.

8 Likes

Stop bulging Lids on diamond forming mason jars by using 2 lids instead of 1! Pro Tip!!!

31 Likes

here is a nice low tempature heat exchange fluid that wont break the bank, thanks @WipedFilmGuy !

6 Likes

So @Killa12345 came with the idea of dubbele capping jars :ok_hand:
But now i stubled upon these
The brand is le parfait its a french company and they sell these capsullels inner caps that are quit neet
They work well in the vacoven to seal jars vacuum to :grinning:

Leparfait.fr for more info

6 Likes

Does it work well? How do you mount the bag?

The key is to make an insert pipe with holes like a second basket diameter on most of mime is approx 21cm
I use metric diameter pipe by spiro a ventilation pipe manufacturer
And a variac at times is handy to controller engine speed

1 Like

The pipe inside the bag inside the panda?

Inside the panda basket weldeden to iT

To support the bag gotcha. So the bag is centered