Tricks of the trade

You are of course, 100% correct.
Aluminum: 88 to 251 W/m K
SS: 16.3 W/m-K

However…are we looking for the ‘best’ or trying to ball on a budget? :wink:

3 Likes

My next project is setting up a backyard scrap melter and melting down cans to pour into a big drum of brine (slowly) to make my own damn aluminum beads

11 Likes

Please document for the rest of the class if you beat me to it…

3 Likes

Not all baths are bead compatible and will lead to premature burn out of the elements. This is obvious on hot baths with liquid pumps. Make sure you contact your mfg to ensure beads are allowable.

1 Like

Would a regular crock pot be fine? I bought 10lb of the stainless tumbling media but haven’t filled the crockpot up.

6 Likes

28 Likes

Wait a cotton picking minute! Did you put a thermostat on the dumb crockpot to make it a temp controllable crockpot??

11 Likes

Bead bath

This IS tricks of the trade no?

:shushing_face:

21 Likes

You rock dude! Great idea, definitely gonna yoink that one!

6 Likes

anyone have any tips for a seized glass syringe? i’ve tried heat, i’ve tried soaking it in ethanol… :frowning:

acetone

3 Likes

@thesk8nmidget
my-man-denzel-washington
just soak that bihhh overnight i assume?

1 Like

Sonication may also help…

2 Likes

the longer the better for sure, leaving it overnight should do it, most of the stubborn glass joints i havent been able to free would free with an acetone soak.

Sonication would also absolutely help.

2 Likes

i have a sonicator… should i sonicate with acetone? water and surfactant?

Acetone. We usually use secondary containment.

ie sealed glass jar in the (aqueous) bath

9 Likes

But i want to dump a bucket of acetone in a jewelry cleaner nowwwwwww

Acetylene torch, can’t be stuck if it’s a liquid…

Nah, but overnight soak in acetone, if it’s REALLY stubborn I’ll seal the part and acetone up in a mason jar and drop it in the ultrasonic with warm water. That clears up everything.

4 Likes

For all you whippers out there who need both hands, throw your tray on this and it won’t move. Painters tape folded sticky side out held down by Gorilla tape. The painters tape won’t leave residue on your pan but strong enough to stay put.

14 Likes

Just found these, for those with smaller home grows that want inexpensive fire suppression

35$ is pretty good for something that’s hard to put a price on :+1:
They explode at 320° and release chemical fire suppressant

7 Likes