Transfer pump setup

Hi All,

I am currently using a Meco-matic Pulsafeeder to transfer my oil/ethanol from one Erlenmeyer to the next. This pump does the job but i am looking into upgrading. Any suggestions on a new transfer pump or a whole new filtration setup?

Current setup is Winterization > Centrifuge > coffee filter(Buchner over Erlenmeyer flask) > oil is then transferred into carbon filter > rotovap > decarb > distillation.

Erlenmeyer, Coffee filter => automation?

seems like you’re looking to automate waaay earlier than most.

if you’ve got $4k to throw at the problem, @Lilibel has a peristaltic pump that is probably appropriate.

@cyclopath @Labrat1987 My peristaltic pump is probably overkill for your system. Its made for viscous fluids. I recommend my filtration system which is pumped via diaphram pump.

You can find videos and info here: https://www.beakerandwrench.com/product-page/pressurized-filtration-system Please note that the video shows my filter system hooked to a reactor- the inlet hose can be dropped into any reservoir.

Edit: The filtration system comes with everything but the air compressor.

Thanks for the shoutout! :smiley:

2 Likes

You can use our filter trolley setup which has a pump that can be used as a transfer pump when you are not filtering your solution. Pretty simple process and you can transfer at very high rates, 10-20 GPM.

:slight_smile: I’d love to see 20GPM into an Erlenmeyer… :popcorn:

5 Likes

Only for a sec though…

2 Likes

2l flask…timing is critical.

2 Likes

@Labrat1987
For fluid transfer one flask to the next there is a simple solution I have employed. I use it on my small chromatography column to make it into a flash column lolz but the idea works for flasks and transfers.

Take a stopper for each flask and drill two holes in each for 8mm glass tubes. Glass tubes are on Amazon along with $5 glass tube cutters. 8mm fits standard thermometer well adapters. You can also buy stoppers with two holes already in them but I just drilled mine.

Into the stopper with the full flask put one glass tube through the stopper all the way to the bottom of the flask. Put the second glass tube just through the other hole barely into the top of the flask as a vent. Into the empty flask do the same thing with the other glass tubes. Now connect the full flask tube at the bottom of the full flask to the empty flask tube that also goes to the bottom but of the empty flask. Use ¼” silicon hose or rubber hose to connect together at the top those two tubes.

Now connect the empty flask short tube at the top of the empty flask to a low vacuum pump source. I use a diaphragm chemical duty pump for these things set very low. Turn the vacuum on and the fluid will transfer down to the level of the low tube in the full flask then stop transfering. Just make sure your catch flask is bigger than the full flask hehe… I know. I actually employ a two neck flask now with this set up as a safety catch before the vacuum pump when doing this for chromatography. (In case I space out and just let the pump run)

I think i have a similiar setup to what you are describing.

2 Likes

What material are your hoses made from?
The flasks appear to be a large erlenmyer converted to a filter flask. You ever have an implosion with that glass?

First off, let me say how much I appreciate that your website has detailed pictures, descriptions, and some demonstration videos! Proper.

Is that pneumatic pump self-priming, positive displacement? Can it suck the solution up on the inlet side?

1 Like

@hambread Thank you, I know I like to see things in detail, and I figure everyone else does too!

Yes, we designed the system specifically to suck up fluid on the inlet side. 5 gallon bucket will do. We used a reactor because its clean and in-line.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Those hoses are just standard silicone tubing. Been running this setup for over 3 years with no implosions.

1 Like

I am very interested in you’re filtration setup. Does this setup replace the centrifuge process? I am basically asking if you’re system will separate the waxes?

We are getting 20 mic frits in that will be good for using with waxes. All of our customers so far have bought the 5micron setup with the specific goal of carbon washing.

Are you using a filter aid?

People have been using DE or Celite. Up to you really.

With That being said, does the frit pore size really matter if there is a filter bed?

1 Like

i have been watching you’re videos on instagram. Does any wax get through? if so, how much? also, i currently do small batches for variety about 1,000g of crude at a time. What size system do you recommend for smaller batches? thank you

Wax gets through any setup and it has to do with wax particles themselves and not the setup. It seems it needs to be filtered in stages to get all the waxes out, regardless of the setup. As you remove fats and waxes, solubility of your solution changes and thus more waxes can drop out. We filter at room temperature for a roughing pass, then cold winterization for a second pass, and polish with a very cold winterization on a small pore paper.

For 1kg of crude the 400mm trolley is more than enough. If you plan to grow your operation, just get the 630mm unit for $500 more. We do offer tips, tricks, and SOP with our equipment, though its nothing we and others have not mentioned here over and over.

Trolleys are delivering June so you can preorder now, but no worries if you miss this shipment we have a couple hundred coming in September.