Too cold?

So I just got myself a -80c Freezer to flash freeze my flower and a homey was talking about things being too cold and splitting cell walls or something. I don’t really think that matters since it’s all gonna get blasted anyways. But was just curious if anyone had any insight to that or if there was a sweet spot for freezing flower. I figure the colder and faster the better

5 Likes

Freezing them slow ruptures the cell walls. Freezing them sub zero (-80)/flash freezing them keeps moisture from rupturing the cell walls and preserves it better. A slight vac seal on a food saver bag in smallish, not large tubes, amounts. Don’t pack it wall to wall, if you have to. Put a sheet of regular cardboard between the bags so the cold air can flow between and freeze the sides evenly vs them being smooshed together and not freezing quick enough, or evenly.

32 Likes

Word. Good looks on the advice. I will do what you suggested. Stoked to see how things come out. Usually takes 8-12 hours in a regular freezer for things to get really frozen

4 Likes

To further what @Dred_pirate said, flash freezing at very low temperatures is more desirable over higher temps because it freezes the water too quickly for ice crystals to grow large enough to rupture the cell walls. Freezing at higher temps allows the water within cells time to grow larger crystals, ripping the cell apart in the process.

13 Likes

Homey don’t know Bro.

7 Likes

That’s what I figured I just wanted to get a second community opinion. Terps about to go off. Each plant will go from chop/buck to -80c in 15 minutes

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I do for my fresh frozen. I rip the tightest vac possible on the food saver bag and make sure I get as much air out as possible. I love cracking open the deep vacuum sealed socks from the -80. My coworker hates that, he says a lighter vac will preserve terps. Let me know what you think!

1 Like

You don’t wanna do the tightest vac possible your weed turns to a brick when frozen which makes it a bitch loading tubes. I would agree with your coworker

5 Likes

Yep. Just about snug, but not squeezing them on themselves.

3 Likes

I know the sweet spot on that fosho

I cut and bag my fresh frozen runs and freeze to -82c in bags lightly vacuumed. I also vac down my material columns and freeze. Once everything frozen well, I pack my frozen material columns and vac and re-freeze again.

2 Likes

Why would you vac down your material columns before you pack them?

1 Like

Probably trying to keep additional moisture out of his columns

3 Likes

I freeze my columns before packing as well and that’s an unnecessary step

I used to put open end material columns in my freezer, and I could see the moisture in the columns when I started packing so I started vac’ng them down. Takes me an extra few minutes to cap and vac.

I’ve had mine uncapped the entire time I’ve extracted. I don’t think it makes a difference. But whatever works for you.

1 Like

You haven’t noticed the layer of frost that develops on the inside of the column in the freezer?

1 Like

There isn’t a layer on the inside of the columns at all. Plus I run mostly fresh frozen and there’s a lot more frozen moisture in the material then anything in the frozen column to worry about. I started freezing the columns before loading the material because loading fresh frozen in to a room temp column makes the material freeze to the column walls and is a pain to clean. If the column is frozen before the load when the extractions done everything slides out of the column and it’s an easy cleanup.

1 Like

You mentioned you just got the -80c freezer. You already froze your open columns in that -80c freezer or a regular freezer?

I’m definitely no @Dred_pirate when it comes to live resin but i 100% agree, the # one thing I saw when I use to run BHO was most did not freezing the plant quick enough which would result in some color from water and a grassy smell

I was always told dry ice works great for an instant freeze, dred might have something to say about that though

2 Likes