Toll processing prices in Oregon

Yeah there’s a market for extractors who build value into your end product so that will definitely differentiate you. I personally think you’ll absolutely crush it if you get up and running for this year’s harvest. When are you flying in to Portland?

2 Likes

That kind of scale you dont winterize, theyve gotta be cold extracting

Or you winterize warm with a membrane in your extraction solvent

Was this your neighbor?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this weekend sometime, I’m waiting for my colleague to tell me when.

No mine shot himself.
Key words in that post:
“None of their team had ever farmed or grown a thing.”
People just did some quick math off last year’s numbers and think they’ll get rich if they find 30 acres of farmland and get a permit. Sad stuff. Even the experienced farmers are failing around here. They’re estimating an 80% fail rate on individual farmers in Oregon. I think that number holds nationwide as well. There is a huge learning curve with hemp that people just don’t realize when they get into the industry.

5 Likes

Yes. Point was either way, winterizing and dewaxing that much post wash is bananas. Almost gets me excited.

1 Like

This is pretty common with agriculture in general I believe. Sad for sure.

Not really. Its easier that way than the massive energy required for all solvent to be kept low temp. Unless you wanna extract very far north.

1 Like

You’re correct sir. Lol I don’t believe in chilling that much solvent. It’s actually batshit crazy to me.

If you’re winterizing though you’re chilling it anyways lol

Why make more work for yourself.

It’s easy to chill 4 totes down in a 40 foot container freezer. It gets to -32c in there

If you winterize though you have to

1 evaporate a second solvent

2 chill the second solvent

That’s more work and energy then just evaporating once.

Now membranes are a totally different story

Idk anyone using membranes for winterization right now though

I do​:metal::metal::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Why not do it the way you say? Because I see how the smartest person I know runs a 5klbs per day taught me. I’ve learned from others and myself who build labs and run them. I know the easiest way with the least amount of overhead to operate. I am always up for learning. How’s the easiest way to keep 3k gallons of solvent cold? How much would the proper equipment actually cost let alone the electric bill. If you’re building a 5k lbs a day I would research chilling of solvent vs options. Imo, since we’re giving opinions lol

1 Like

Were using existing equipment, we have a 40 foot container freezer already so were going to utilize it. This allows us to start operating without too much overhead.

A membrane system to winterize that much solvent would cost atleast 150k if not more.

To start we will be doing 4000 pounds a day as that will be our evaporation output with our Yellowstone.

80 gph x 20 hours a day (2 x 10 hour shifts) is 1600 gallons per day of ethanol evaporation. That’s enough for 4800 pounds of biomass.

Eventually were going to switch to hydro carbons when we get the membranes

So you have or haven’t seen if you can chill that much solvent in that already?, and then after a run, how long does that hot solvent take to hit below freezing again So there’s no delay in production. And if you’re not hitting the correct temps, how are you going to winterize it after. These are just immediate thoughts I have that jumped to mind.

I’ve used these before to do this so I know it works.

This is how I use to chill solvent prior to extraction out here in CA. Those containers are beast.

This is something I’ve done before, just on a smaller scale.

Both one and two or your assumptions are incorrect. You can extract using the same solvent, recover partially, then winterize, then fully recover. Not what we do but if youre arguing based on energy alone thats not real.

You’ll never get a true winterization like that.

I’ve had many clients who thought they could do that and they always ended up with cloudy distillate

These arent assumptions, this is based on my real life experience and fixing people’s extracts

You absolutely can. I suggest some more r&d if youre not familiar enough to do so.

I agree you can.