TN HB 403 is coming for the retail stores

Little update:

Been on the phone with the state and they have no idea what any of this means either. They did state we can just do whatever we want until we run out of current stock. I.e. anything already produced will be grandfathered in.

@Bret_HoneyGold can you explain what the deal is with the two classifications there. Does this mean CBD isn’t regulated anymore than it has been already. And does this mean that thca and d8 are the same legality?

My concern is the .3% on a dry weight bases for the minors. This would outlaw every single cartridge and almost all of my flower

the definition of hemp in the bill mirrors the federal definition @ky_cbd

Hemp cannabinoids are now separated in TN based on intoxication potential.

D9 less than 3mg/g as usual

The first set of listed ‘hemp-derived cannabinoids’ will need to adhere to the 25mg per serving cap.

CBD and the other non-intoxicating cannabinoids (2nd set) are not limited to 25mg per serving.

25mg cap ‘per serving’ on intoxicating cannabinoids will force operators to adjust serving sizes. (1 50mg D8 gummy = 2 servings) Pretty sure people know how to jump through loopholes around here…

Full panels per batch is appropriate. There’s a lot of messy product out here. I’m all for the consumer safety regs.

6 Likes

Awesome thanks for the clarification that’s important b.c. I sell 100-300 mg CBD doses that help a lot of people. Glad I don’t have to nerf them

The testing thing only rubs me the wrong way b.c. it was apparently pushed by the scumbags at cura leaf to try and pull them out of bankruptcy

3 Likes

Am I understanding this to mean that all intoxicating cannabinoids derived from hemp will be limited to 3mg in a 1 gram cart?

1 Like

I don’t see any language that changes the testing methods(requiring total potential THC), how is this gonna work for THCa?

3 Likes

my read is

• 3mg d9 in a gram.
  • 25mg per serving (whatever that might be when looking at a cart?!?) of individual intoxicating cannabinoids
  • as much of whatever other “hemp derived” nonsense as you’d like, so long as it doesn’t get anyone high.
3 Likes

I dont see where they limit potancy on anything other than ingested products

2 Likes

thank you!

those are amendments, and should be read in context. probably where at least some of the confusion is coming from.

I also read this to be defining all non-intoxicating cannabinoids as “not hemp derived”…

(3) “Hemp-derived cannabinoid”:
(A) Means:

• (i) A cannabinoid other than delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or an
    isomer derived from such cannabinoid, that is derived from hemp in a
    concentration of more than one-tenth of one percent (0.1%); or

• (ii) A hemp-derived product containing delta-9
    tetrahydrocannabinol in a concentration of three tenths of one percent
    (0.3%) or less on a dry weight basis;

(B) Includes, but is not limited to:

• (i) Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol;
  • (ii) Delta-10 tetrahydrocannabinol;
  • (iii) Hexahydrocannabinol;
  • (iv) Tetrahydrocannabinol acetate ester (THCo);
  • (v) Tetrahydrocannabiphorol (THCp);
  • (vi) Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCv); and
  • (vii) Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCa); and

(C) Does not include:

• (i) Cannabichromene (CBC/CBCa/CBCv);
  • (ii) Cannabicitran (CBT/CBTa);
  • (iii) Cannabicyclol (CBL/CBLa);
  • (iv) Cannabidiol (CBD/CBDa/CBDv/CBDp);
  • (v) Cannabielsoin (CBE/CBEa);
  • (vi) Cannabigerol (CBG/CBGa/CBGv/CBGm);
  • (vii) Cannabinol (CBN/CBNa);
  • (viii) Cannabivarin (CBV/CBVa);

3)" Hemp derived cannabinoid":

• A means:
  • B includes:
  • C does not include:

no?!?

4 Likes

Thats what I got from that as well

Hemp “derived” cannabinoid = converted and/or psychoactive cannabinoids

Hemp cannabinoids = everything else regardless of conversion or not

3 Likes

These 100mg cbn gummies bouta fuck everyone up more than the 25 mg d8 gummies lol

2 Likes

You could just make a 50mg d8 gummy and say 1 gummy is 2 servings and youd still be in compliance

2 Likes

What about d8 vapes? Serving size half a second or something?

1 Like

I’ve seen vapes labeled with the serving size, it’s like “one 5 second inhale” and 200 servings

Only ingestibles are subject to the 25mg cap per serving.

Also limits Testing Labs to TDA verified w/ DEA licensing. Not too happy about that. We love Gobi in CO.

If one googles Rules of Statutory Interpretation, there are a lot of free academic resources put out by law schools. Georgetown has a good one.

3 Likes

Seems like everyone has to use New Bloom (absolute trash) or Labstat (formerly Kaycha TN). It makes you wonder to what extent this was done intentionally, since otherwise the only purpose of using New Bloom is for potentially favorable inaccurate results.

3 Likes

Ehh not really. If I can prove I am accepting clean materials in, and I can prove the raw materials I am producing is clean, then how can contaminants be introduced from sugar, corn syrup, chocolate, etc?? Why does the requirement of a 600$ package of tests prove the product is any safer? Combine that with the restriction on which testing labs we can use, and I think people can start to figure out who this bill is actually serving…

yeah, but they only get 25mg per serving, how profitable can that be?

there’s 40 servings of THCa in a gram :point_right: :sunglasses: :point_right:

3 Likes