TN HB 403 is coming for the retail stores

Just saw this bill passed and it’s gonna be a problem for TN retailers.

My understanding in footnotes:

• Every single cart and almost all smokable flower is now illegal starting July 1st or by the new year

• Edible serving size is capped to 25 mg

• All products must be kept behind the counter

• You need a special license to sell hemp products

• The AG department will do controlled buys

• New packaging requirements

• Full panels on every product

• 5% extra tax on all hemp stuff

If you get caught slipping it’s a $1,000 fine and a class A misdemeanor

Most of these things I can get behind. i.e. age requirements, full panels, and packaging stuff.

The rest is kinda lame. What’s everyone doing about this in TN?

5 Likes

I think this is great. Its allowing the industry to grow. Its needed some guard rails anyway. Better this than banned

3 Likes

It was crafted with input by the industry and they are touting it as a win. It’s kind of surprising how much support they get from the legislature who regularly kill medical and decriminalization bills. They love farmers a lot more than they do liberals here.

43-27-202.
As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:
(3) “Hemp-derived cannabinoid”:
(A) Means:
(ii) A hemp-derived product containing delta-9
tetrahydrocannabinol in a concentration of three tenths of one percent
(0.3%) or less on a dry weight basis;
(B) Includes, but is not limited to:
[…]
(vii) Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCa); and

Um… this legalizes weed? Or ‘high THCa hemp’ rather

there’s language about serving size(25mg) but no package limits

they just backdoor legalized weed? lmao

5 Likes

Where is this in the bill?

1 Like

It isn’t

Was hoping so, considering I designed this…

7 Likes

So TN is regulating the sale of intoxicating cannabinoids from hemp? This makes my impending move there less. BLEH

2 Likes

(ii) A hemp-derived product containing delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol in a concentration of three-tenths of one percent (0.3%) or less on a dry weight basis; (B) Includes, but is not limited to: (i) Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol; (ii) Delta-10 tetrahydrocannabinol; (iii) Hexahydrocannabinol; (iv) Tetrahydrocannabiphorol (THCp); (v) Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCv); and (vi) Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCa); and

This includes THCa in the D9 equation doesnt it? That shuts the loophole rather than opening it right?

That is saying its it’s considered HEMP derived cannabinoid if it under .3% D9 and contains any of the listed(anything over .3%or made from something with higher then .3% is considered cannabis

The way I read the bill it looks like they want to treat conversions and THca like recreational cannabis which is a win vs just having everything banned

3 Likes

These cannabinoids are regulated, the other ones are not.

21+
Behind counter
licenses
Tax
testing requirements
etc.

It is our crack at full regulation for hemp intoxicating derivatives. Not overregulating what so ever like MJ but making sure that there is accountability and guidelines.

If MJ would have done this at some point in the last 12 years hemp wouldn’t have taken over and became a 40-50B market.

3 Likes

So what’s up with the 25mg cap? I get that it might make the regulators fuzzy inside know people can’t get as high, but we have a lot of people that rely on our products for pain and such and they have to have that 100+ mg dose.

My understanding was that that listed cannabinoids couldn’t be over. 3% on a dry weight basis.

I’m confused with those two list there.

1 Like

There are more users that do not require anywhere near a 100mg dose, so unfortunately they will have to just buy more product.

Better than the alternative of no product.

3 Likes

Im reading it as defining hemp derived cannabinoids as having less than .3% D9 but more then .1% of any of the listed cannabinoids and that anything meeting that criteria will have to go through different tax testing packing protocols the regular “hemp cannabinoids” basically reads like a recreational marijuana bill

Welcoming to almost recreational cannabis Tennessee!

4 Likes

So I live in TN. If you talk to anyone around here, they all say “they should just regulate it like alcohol”. Which is super fucked if you look into TN alcohol laws, but I digress. I guess I just get frustrated that anyone can buy PGA and get fuggin SAUCED, but people that rely on 100-200mg for chronic pain get fucked. I’ve had multiple people tell me they buy my product because their so and so has cancer and it’s the only thing that helps. Like from a business perspective it will probably make me more money buy selling more lower dosed gummies, but from a consumer perspective it seems like a stab in the back.

3 Likes

You’re like the 3rd person I’ve heard say that today

2 Likes

In a lot of medical states your limitations are at 10mg per dose and 100mg per bag :tired_face:, its unfortunate but at the end of the day the people who will own the consumable products will be big pharma and they are a profit driven industry

3 Likes

That’s frustrating as hell. I never expected to be able to sell my high doses products forever, but I kinda hoped. Like I started my business expecting all my customers to be the 20-something crowd that just wants to get high, but by and large my customer base are the older folk that need to deal with their pain, sleep management, mood, etc. I don’t make any medical claims about my products, but my customers sure reap the benefits there.

2 Likes

THCp gummies.