Tips/review my dry room protocol

So, here I am. Nearing the finish line of my first grow. If you’ve seen my other posts, I took on a hell of a project! Anyways… today I’m starting to chop a few girls and have my dry room setup. I have a 26’x 10’ dry room space. Currently have 8 box fans going but wanna get better fans… for now there’s plenty of air movement. No air directly blowing on plants, just keeping air moving. Tomorow installing an exhaust fan to push old air out. Have 1 dehum set to 60, and getting another dehum tomorow. I have pipes hanging from the ceiling running the length of the room, with large sheets of animal fencing to hang plants. So the parameters I’m going to try and hit are as follows

Temp- try to maintain around 70 degrees
Humidity- dehums set to 60 and then dropping to 55. (Would appreciate input on that part)

Going for a 2 week dry… I know a cracking stem is a good indicator of finished dry. I did lots of research, but any little hints, tips, mistakes you’ve made, etc. I know that I could’ve worked so hard all year to fuck it all up in here. Let’s discuss. And thank you for continued support!!

13 Likes

Looks like a solid setup. I know some people keep both humidifiers and dehueys in the dry area on an inkbird, if you want a 2 week dry time you may need to look into that

1 Like

I definitely keep the humidity controlled by an inkbird controller.

If you want a 14 day dry, 70f might be a little warm by my experience, 60%rh 60 degrees is my ideal for a 10-14 day dry for my flower.

Sounds like your on the right path.

Are you curing after drying?

3 Likes

Second the 60°f and 60%rh for two weeks. Buck into branches, go into totes. Burp daily until stems are ready. Trim then turkey bag/vault/Grove bag(these actually do work), to finish.

Imo you shouldn’t smoke it less than 30 days from chop. I mean I will, but you know.

8 Likes

Let it be known I’m not married to two weeks, I just always thought that was the best way if time and room allows. I’m not married to any method. I just don’t want to ruin what I’ve worked so hard for. Tomorow I plan on buying various meters and monitors as I’m not gonna trust what the stupid dehum says. Any advice is welcome!!!

1 Like

Looking like a really nice drying area @Eastcoaststrange! I like the fencing on the pipes. Put a drain hose on the dehumidifiers if you can. That way there’s no way to forget and wind up with a unit shutting down from a full bucket.

2 Likes

Dehums will be ran outside for sure!!! Can’t afford to have them fill and shut down. I actually need to figure out what second dehum to get. This is the shitty one I have. Tomorow id like to go buy anything I Need to set up And be solid. Without being to descriptive, this isn’t a small 4 plant beginners grow lol… see my “is it too late to chop and defoliate flowering plants” thread. Here’s another pic. I still have to clean up and get some shit out of there. I’m a stickler for cleanliness
I could use some advise on what to look for in a dehum. Pints per hour? Wattage? Etc. Like i said doom is roughly 27x10 BUT is concrete floor and side wall which I imagine will dump moisture in, especially when it rains
image image

1 Like

Yeah, you have a few more than four plants. I’m wondering if you can fit it all in there if you chop all at once. Is your harvest going to be staggered at all?

I thought about the concrete adding moisture as well. Couldn’t hurt to get a heavy roll of plastic to cover the floor and sidewall. I would be looking more towards some kind of commercial dehumidifier for your second unit. They can be pricey, but your harvest is worth it!

1 Like

Oh I 100% am not fitting this all in one room… I have a 40 foot container Fully Insulated and modded for drying when I run out of room… So, this pic is HALF, of by far the smallest plant in my grow… and it looks likes it’s gonna take a whole metal hanging sheet. I have 45 of those sheets hanging total,That are roughly 5 x 5.5’. So, if the smallest plant in my grow takes up a whole one…:: we’re gonna need a bigger boat. That’s why I’m trying to dial-in exactly what I need and make this all go right. The only reason I mention the size is because a lot of first time growers are obviously not doing anything big scale so I want any advice coming my way to acknowledge my needs. — not sure why my pic posts sideways

3 Likes

Also got 55-27 gallon black totes for storage and curing

2 Likes

As for temp control, obviously we’re heading into October… at the same time next week in southern Oregon where I’m at it’s supposed to be high 80s-90s. Any experience with one of those air conditioner heater combos? They make them with dehums too but I’d imagine those aren’t great at doing any of the 3 actions it’s supposed to do lol. I’m thinking a portable ac, but don’t see it getting very cold out anytime soon… suggestions on how to go about climate controls?

I know it’s super late right now for most people so I anticipate some replies in the morning. Tomorow id like to purchase an appropriate dehum, as well as solve my temperature control situation. The room does warm up in a hot day, but we’re also getting into chilly October. Any suggestions for dehums, or atleast what type of specs to look for, and I’ve never shopped for one. I don’t know if it’s based on how much moisture it can pull per x amount of time or some other metric. I’m hoping by tomorow I can have a clear idea of what I need to buy and have this room dialed in. Thanks as always guys, I truly truly would not be living a great life if it wasn’t for you people (Whatchu mean you people!?) what I learned here allowed me to survive for close to 3 years. Good night kids, my 17 hour daily shift is over.

P.s randomly, today a girl asked me why I work so hard every day, and said that I need to “learn to deligate work to other people”. I replied, why would I deligate anything to anyone when I can just work 3 people’s job and get paid (albeit it’s not about the fetty, it’s about achieving a satisfying glory from my sweat and labor) she the replied “wow you sound like a control freak”… don’t you have a door dash order to fulfill ya dummy?

There’s an off brand mini split from a company “mabe”. I thought the name was hilarious. But, they have a dehu function on them, too. It doesn’t do two at once though. Might do ac and dehu, but I don’t know. I had them in my last house that I just moved out of

HUMIDIFIER.

Inkbird or controller that’s similar. Depending on the size of your humidifier you might want multiple inkbirds attached to multiple dehumidifiers across the room.

Haven’t grown in years but the LAST thing you want is to wake up one morning and the humidity was at like 35 for some reason for the entire night. There are pretty basic SOP’s for drying on youtube.

IIRC 55% humidity at like 68-70 degrees. SLOWLY bring this down over the course of like 10 days.

Your dry is almost as important as the grow itself. You do not want the flower to dry too quickly.

2 Likes

Portable ac units are kinda dumb, imo. They exhaust too much air to maintain very good environmental control.

3 Likes

… yeah but isn’t the point to vent the exhaust outside lol.

And I 100% acknowledge drying is as, or more important than anything. My plans today are to purchase a second dehum, various meters and readers to ensure the room is what it should be, as well as inkbird controllers. I have several inkbirds but they are for temp and I don’t think they do humidity.

Another thing I have found that I haven’t seen mentioned is the effect of direct airflow on drying plants. I have always worked to keep the drying plants free from the direct air stream from fans, AC units, and dehumidifiers. While airflow is absolutely necessary (no one wants PM and botrytis), too much airflow can cause premature drying of the areas directly exposed. Last thing you want is to have any of the plants completely dessicated. Nothing like watching a nug turn to powder when trying to break the plants down.

If you can arrange your fans and and AC unit(s) to circulate the air of the entire space without direct flow blasting the plants, you’ll definitely be happierwith the end results.

3 Likes

As of right now there is no direct air on the plants. I point a lot of the box fans towards the walls and ceilings so it hits that and disperses around the room. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Going to grab this today, and hopefully track down and inkbird controller

I’ve used that exact model before. Worked like a champ! Only suggestion would be to build a redirect for the output (on top) if it blasts the hanging plants like it did in my dry room. Cardboard worked fine for my ghetto setup at home.

1 Like