Tinctures w/ Vegtable Glycerin

I did this in my room in high school. Got plenty of people including myself fucked up off vg tincture. Never dosed a drink more than 30 ml because that’s a gross amount of vg. The tincture hits different than an edible

7-8%, could maybe go a little higher

So why is everyone using pg and vg rather than mct?? Mct and CBD blends have been super stable in my experience

4 Likes

To mix with fucking drinks

Edit: [video meme (veme?)]

6 Likes

Vaping mct sucks

1 Like

Tinctures aren’t for vaping

2 Likes

And PG/VG isn’t for tinctures

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/wildwills-glycerin-tincture-how-to.655899/&ved=2ahUKEwjY8KyYlMnsAhX5KDQIHUzlBQMQFjAAegQIDhAB&usg=AOvVaw2_OaysZ4yalZ14vKz-9UEt

Ive been doing vg tinctures for 10 years

A tincture is typically an extract of plant or animal material dissolved in ethanol (ethyl alcohol). … In chemistry, a tincture is a solution that has ethanol as its solvent. In herbal medicine, alcoholic tinctures are made with various ethanol concentrations, 20% being the most common.

Glycerin is a sugar alcohol derived from animal products, plants or petroleum. Vegetable glycerin is the variant made from plant oils.

Botanical extractsEdit

When utilized in “tincture” method extractions, specifically as a 10% solution, glycerol prevents tannins from precipitating in ethanol extracts of plants (tinctures). It is also used as an “alcohol-free” alternative to ethanol as a solvent in preparing herbal extractions. It is less extractive when utilized in a standard tincture methodology. Alcohol-based tinctures can also have the alcohol removed and replaced with glycerol for its preserving properties. Such products are not “alcohol-free” in a scientific or FDA regulatory sense, as glycerol contains three hydroxyl groups. Fluid extract manufacturers often extract herbs in hot water before adding glycerol to make glycerites.[24][25]

When used as a primary “true” alcohol-free botanical extraction solvent in non-tincture based methodologies, glycerol has been shown to possess a high degree of extractive versatility for botanicals including removal of numerous constituents and complex compounds, with an extractive power that can rival that of alcohol and water–alcohol solutions.[26] That glycerol possesses such high extractive power assumes it is utilized with dynamic (i.e. critical) methodologies as opposed to standard passive “tincturing” methodologies that are better suited to alcohol. Glycerol possesses the intrinsic property of not denaturing or rendering a botanical’s constituents inert like alcohols (i.e. ethyl (grain) alcohol, methyl (wood) alcohol, etc.) do. Glycerol is a stable preserving agent for botanical extracts that, when utilized in proper concentrations in an extraction solvent base, does not allow inverting or mitigates reduction-oxidation (REDOX) of a finished extract’s constituents, even over several years.[ citation needed ] Both glycerol and ethanol are viable preserving agents. Glycerol is bacteriostatic in its action, and ethanol is bactericidal in its action.[27][28][29]

7 Likes

I like to filter through Buchner to get the last bit of plant out.

1 Like

in my experience vg wont dissolve much extract, mct oil is much better for tinctures

Preach, church, tabernacle!

I dont dissolve extract in vg.

1 Like

Doesn’t make sense that it would extract from bud if it cant dissolve extract but I’d be down to try it on a small batch. you have to do it during the summer?

A long soak is the only way that I like a glycerin tincture. If that was your thread you linked then I’m very familiar with it. Unless someone tries it they won’t be able to understand the difference between glycerin extraction and glycerin infusion. And you can get potency without using a half bottle.

It brings out the flavors better than anything else I’ve experienced. It can numb your mouth and buckle your knees. And I say this as a Green Dragon enthusiast. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

3 Likes

Wild wills thread is not mine, but it was my first extraction method. The taste on my current tincture is amazing. I have an idea, which may be tested today, to infuse some ethanol include with my vg tincture to boost cannabinoid potency :metal::wolf::jack_o_lantern:

4 Likes

The only way we have ever gotten distillate to mix with VG is to use an emulsifier. Took lots of trial and error. Polysorbate 80 seems to work best. Must mix the distillate with polysorbate first on a hot plate, then mix that with VG using an immersion blender. Works great.

The glycerin and alcohol are…what’s that word…miscible? They blend together seamlessly. As long as you don’t try to evaporate off the alcohol then that would give it a boost and you’d still have no burn from the alcohol but if you attempt to evaporate that alcohol, you run into that thing with extract not dissolving very well. The alcohol reduction leaves behind the cannabis oils. A lot of heat is usually needed and then that messes up the taste.

That has given me an idea, though, that may work very well and you’re in a perfect position to try it out if you’re game. I put together a little project for a spray like Sativex that uses equal amounts of a concentrated ethanol tincture and glycerin in a spray with mint oil. Simple thing but extremely effective. If you were to substitute your glycerin tincture for the virgin glycerin used as a buffer then you would be able to greatly increase the potency.

If you’re interested in this simple experiment, here’s my guide with a video. It’s open source so feel free to adapt. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

Shatter/Dragon Cannabis Mint Oral Spray

7 Likes

Epic!

1 Like

Maybe I should try to emulsify some distillate and vg with butane extracted cannabis fats

1 Like

And just a touch of terps or hte.

That is not an emulsifier and also not going to work.

Emulsifiers are both lipophilic and hydrophilic. Those fats you’re pulling with hydrocarbons are for the most part just heavier alkanes that pretty much could not resist water (including VG) any more than they already do. They will look like congealed bacon grease in a polar solvent.

1 Like