This elusive pathogen is damaging cannabis nationwide. Here’s how to fight it

Show me a farmer who wants to break even every year. You can profit and flourish! But I agree that there are those who pack things too tight with too few scrubdowns (actually @cbdbulk is right: no scrubdowns in this case!)

My goal is profit and I’m doing pretty well for myself. Cannabis is like corn where light distribution determines yield. 3-a-Light was a money grab, but was a simple way to use light more effectively to increase yield.

Although it increases density, there must still be proper air flow to prevent pest and disease pressure.

2 Likes

I agree air flow for sure, but scrub downs are not empirically supported

1 Like

are you claiming you grow medical Cannabis like corn?! if your growing for fiber and seed sure it’s like corn. your profit won’t matter when the world economy collapses and the cannabis market implodes once it is a legal nation waide. Quality and diversification of your customer bias and all that will matter

Yield in cannabis is determined by the light source just like corn. We increase yield in cannabis and corn with more density and access to light.

3 Likes

all plants that grow in full sun fallow that rule. but like a said before the way to deal with pathogens is to stop fertilizing them so much !

1 Like

You obviously don’t do tissue sampling. A healthy plant with proper primary, secondary and micronutrients is more resistant to pests and disease than an underfed plant.

6 Likes

Pathogens can be introduced through a variety of ways. To been 100 safe one would need a hepa ventilation system with uv sanitation. Pure ro water. Sanitized growing media . Sterile nutrients… sterile tools. sterile workers. Clean genetics. I don’t know any cannabis grow taking these precautions.

1 Like

Is real weed affected by the virus? Or just hemp?

Cannabis sativa?

1 Like

Christ, if you haven’t realized yet that virtually every form of plant has some “pathogen”, or disease. Orange blight, Cattleya mosaic viruses for orchids (among many others), tobacco virus, pretty much every type of plant has a “blight”. If you’re growing properly you shouldn’t ever have to worry about it. However some of the viruses are systemic, and you can not get rid of it (orchids for instance). But if you provide the proper environment and care you shouldn’t have to worry too much about it

8 Likes

Just leaves a gap in the market for someone to fill. I wonder if the quality would be noticeably better. If someone could produce a smoke that is free of all that. I guarantee the yield would be insane and that would be benefit enough to keep it clean

1 Like

you obviously don’t do tissue sampling any other way than you were taught. Replace sanitizing with EM-1, what are you afraid of?

Dude… Do you just have a problem with @AgTonik? Because if you do, you need to fucking kick rocks, and fucking skip to make yourself feel good. But if you have an issue with @AgTonik you need to visit me first
He’s helped my garden grow, who the fuck are you?

4 Likes

Yep, disease is everywhere. A lot of it is just cultural prevention mixed with some common sense. Like don’t use tobacco around tomato plants, or it might spread tobacco mosaic virus to them.

We could use a few great breeders working on breeding some resistant strains. Breeding for disease resistance in tomatoes is so common they use shorthand in the variety name to signify what it’s resistant to.

I’ve read conspiracy theory about all the bud rot being caused by a govt released fungus as an explanation for it being such a wide spread problem. Could also be caused by huge numbers of novice growers who have never had any prior experience growing anything having bad luck.

Truth of the matter is, the more widespread cannabis cultivation becomes, the more endemic diseases we’ll start seeing. Now is the time to do something about it. If you think you have a plant that has something like hemp mosaic virus or some other doomsday pathogen, don’t even let it in your compost. Nuke the area from space, and let anyone else who may have been involved know what’s up. We could be breeding the next super bug by poor phytosanitary practices all the time, and with an explosion in exchange between people and regions, it’s inevitable that we’ll keep seeing new nasties pop up.

I don’t see a reason why we can’t take an approach where we use our knowledge of science and sanitize, sterilize, etc along with a biotic approach using beneficial micro beasties. Let’s not be silly and say one or the other is the only way.

8 Likes

Sorry homie, I quite reading when I realized you were on the right track. Please understand that EVERY SINGLE HOUSE/COUMPUND has ganja growing in their courtyard. i was given a distribution device that killed plants on command. Dude, I sprayed chemicals that kills life. I was given a spray can that would poison their plants, and even their water

2 Likes

Yeah, looking back that was a wall of text. I’m buzzed…

2 Likes

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me. Lol would explain their total 180* change of heart. Further weed started tasting funny around 2010… I honestly barely smoke bud anymore cuz of it.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but thinking that the govt released a fungus directly targeting cannabis is wild.

12 Likes

How did we get russet mites again? OR road maintenance trying to keep vegetation down?

11 Likes