This elusive pathogen is damaging cannabis nationwide. Here’s how to fight it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hempindustrydaily.com/this-elusive-pathogen-is-damaging-hemp-nationwide-heres-how-to-fight-it/amp/

1 Like

"An unfortunate byproduct of the legalization wave following 2012 was the spread of plants from California that were latent carriers of the viroid across the country. Though originally intended to help establish the legal markets across state lines, it was through these plants that viroid was unknowingly introduced at a rapid speed "

1 Like

From another article "HLVd won’t kill the plant or even cause obvious symptoms of infection (i.e., curling or yellowing leaves); however plants will show subtle symptoms.

HLVd will greatly reduce the quality and quantity of the flower the infected plant produces. During the vegetative stage, plants will grow shorter with smaller leaves and tighter node spacing. Flowering plants will have smaller looser buds with much fewer trichomes. One of our clients estimated that plants infected with HLVd had half the cannabinoid content of healthy plants."

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Hop+Latent+Viroid+cannabis

1 Like

Obviously something Is attacking plants but correctly identifying it is problematic. Hope to see more advances in Identification as means to study the exact mitigation.

1 Like

Thank god that tc practices can remove the pathogens.

6 Likes

Can this be spread through cross-contamination or seeds?

Cross contamination yes. Cloning tools and pots can be vectors for pathogen transmission.

I use single use scalpels now and when I cook off my insulted reefer container veg grows in between rounds I bake off all my plastic pots and trays too. Gets like 150f.

Also wash everything in sanidate.

7 Likes

EVERYTHING gets the sanidate? You spray the entire room?

1 Like

This is why cannapanels are great for grow rooms. Totally plastic non porous surface that can be pressure washed.

Spray everything but the plants.

5 Likes

We have used Physan on plants externally with no ill effects. Just keep it away from the root zone.

3 Likes

If a plant is infected when it’s pollinated some species of pathogens can stowaway in the seeds. Idk about this one in particular.

2 Likes

sterilizing is stupid, much better off spaying EM-1. sterilizing provides an environment for it to spread. EM-1 provides an environment with too much competition for the pathogens to survive. The virus targets greedy growers, colonizing plants with excess nurturance. all scaled grows to lead to systematic failures. If your motive is profit your grow will fail too.

3 Likes

Curious at which rate u use Physan?

1 Like

I used to dip clones in a light physan solution, lol. They’ll take it.

Physan should be used around 15ml/ gallon

@AgTonik?

2 Likes

How are you cooking your container rooms?

All lights on. Ac off. They are insanely well insulated and completely airtight.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not sure how you deal with that vinegar smelling shit

3 Likes

Big warehouse with big bay doors we can roll up and lots of fans.

3 Likes