Thinking of doing a passive convert. of a custom machine and don't have a ton of power

Hi all. Im building out a new shop with some custom gear that I got from a friend, sorting through what is there is pretty daunting and I’m not in love with the pumps, which are Bhogart ZB04.

This a machine that he had custom built, and in a way it seems to lend itself to passive recovery, so I thought I’d ask for some input.

The collection pots are 28" tall and 36" wide, they are jacketed, and each one has 2 - 12" lids that each take a 6"x48" column (I have jacketed and none jacketed columns for it)

Each lid has 4- 3/4" ports and 2 sight glasses
So really each collection pot has 8- 3/4" ports

The solvent tanks have 3- 3/4" ports and are jacketed as well

I have the compressor and pumps, but am limited on power in my location, the chiller I have needs 81A and that’s just not doable here. So I’m trying to sell that one and get a smaller and colder one.

My questions:

How big of a chiller would I need to go passive on at least one of these units? I realize I might need to use both tanks of one extractor

Would passive be more energy efficient?

I can take more pictures and appreciate any advice, thanks. I’d really like not to have tons of noise if possible as well.

2 Likes

Will that thing hold pressure? Looks interesting

2 Likes

Its put in a lot of miles thus far, so I feel safe with N-Butane, I actually ran the old setup before, but it will never get rated, that’s for sure… :rofl:

1 Like

Those are interesting vessels!

You could have a fabricator modify your solvent tank jacket to be an open sleeved style and use dry ice (I get that this will be heavy on consumables, but it will minimize your electrical use). Add 2x 3/4 recovery lines with condensing coils and sieves on each line. With this set up, heating your water for collection and sieve jackets would be the largest draw on power.

Sorry if this is too “Hillsy” for you haha

Just trying to think outside the box.

2 Likes

Love “Hillsy”. Im in the desert and have 2- 10Cuft Cascades and 4- 4cuft AI oven to run as well. I’d prefer to do a DI slurry on the coils and run a chiller on the tank, as DI is going to be hard to get in the quantity I would need every day

1 Like

Propane or natural gas tankless water heaters

This is what I use. Best thing I ever did

6 Likes

Got the tankless heater already. Really wondering about how big a chiller I would need. With the collection pots being so goddamn wide I think I can get a lot of vapor out of them quick

1 Like

If you rock dual 3/4” recovery lines, shit will be moving…

I feel like you wouldn’t need to go overboard on the chiller, since you are running coils in-line

1 Like

How do you collect the oil out of those suckers?!

Are you needing that much collection volume? If you just inherited the equip and are running “normal volumes”, you could convert one of your collection tanks to a in-process recovery tank(not storage) for the extra condensing surface area.

You could use a small capacity chiller or a large capacity chiller the difference is how long it will take condense/recover.

5 Likes

I already have the lines for that as well

1 Like

Hm… That is a really interesting thing I hadn’t thought of at all.

As far as the chiller, I’d like to go as fast as I can, But let me wrap me head around that idea there.

Get the oil out SUCKS! Its the worst scrapping ever, up to the shoulder :joy: But my boy is really helping me get out of a jam and beggars can’t always be choosers

3 Likes

Ok, I haven’t run any machines in a couple at least 4 years, and with all the CRC tech and such, it seemed to me that I really need to get some big temp differentials going to meet the resistance I might hit.

N2 ftw

2 Likes

3kw of cooling will get you 1lb a min recovery… roughly

4 Likes

Thats doable for sure, what about using my second tank to push with more butane?

Thanks. Really looking for that info :fist_right: :fist_left:

1 Like

and can I combine the recovery lines after the coils and not slow down the recovery to much?

Depends on how much you’re trying to recover a min. 3/4 is a big ass line

2 Likes

Is that going to be a bad thing? I figured two 3/4 lines with 3/8 coil (or whatever the biggest I can get is) then into a tee on one 3/4 port. Am I somewhat close to how that would work?

2 Likes

If you’re only using 3/8 lines for the coils you can absolutely bring them back together in a 3/4”

3 Likes