Thinking about switching to Turpur

I’m currently growing in sunshine #4 but has been tough to find the medium In stock in SoCal. I was thinking about switching to turpur. Can anyone give me any tips or tricks for using this medium? Any cautions against?

Nutrients I’m using
RO water
Power si
Jacks 3-2-1
Agt50
Hygrozyme
Og bio war “roots pack”

I’m really happy with my nutrients is there anything I should add when using turpur?I heard you don’t let it dry out as much as sunshine #4

I only have experience in rockwool and sunshine #4 any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6 Likes

I love the shit but hate typing with thumbs. I’ll articulate on why it’s awesome once i get to my office in a few

4 Likes

We use tupur but it’s been hard to find here in Michigan for months.

3 Likes

It works really well. It drains pretty good so compared to the #4 you may have faster dry down times. I’ve always had good experience using tupur. You can find pics of mine in the plant/flower thread if you need evidence.

4 Likes

You guys think I need to add additional cal mag to my recipe? Do you have to flush the medium regularly ? I always water 10-20% runoff and maintain 5.8 ph run off

3 Likes

Add cal nitrate magnesium sulfate and a phosphorous booster.

1 Like

Ok much better. So as grassman said the drainage is huuuuuge, I fucking love it. That’s essentially my main draw to it, plants as much as they need liquid, fucking hate it en masse, Tupur solves a lot of those issues. I would say I use god damn near the same setup as you except no power SI/hygrozyme and i use the foliar pack as well for OG biowar - hell even came from using the same dirt as you!

You’ll notice huuuuuge differences. I normally will switch reservoirs for one day a week to straight water and then swap the res again by the end of the day so there’s a bit of flushing going on but not a lot whatsoever

4 Likes

Turpur is a great product. It has good water retention with good amount of air flow to roots. Your feed will stay the same, but as @SubstituteCreature stated don’t let your nutes build up. Monitor your run off ppm.

5 Likes

also the ph of run off I notice it can be low in the medium as build up starts to happen so youre feeding 6.0 but your medium is 5.5 fuckin shit up

5 Likes

Also the Royal Gold guys say that 6.2ph is what they recommend

4 Likes

Interesting. I normally keep mine at 5.9 with good results

5 Likes

Thanks you guys I appreciate all the replies. I’m gonna give it a shot

2 Likes

Tupur is some of the absolute best growing medium, but we are having problems with getting it right now.

70/30 coco/perlite is good, but you are going to have to go to the trouble of mixing it yourself. Please call Eric at Royal Gold to see how their supply chain is doing.

We also used Sunshine #4 for a couple years with no additional cal-mag. I still like soluble silica with it.

3 Likes

There trucks are going non stop, got a place close to there yard. I like to add a lil extra coco to the tupur personality. Chad even involved anymore?

2 Likes

I always run coco based media at 5.5 so it drifts up through all pH availabilities.

7 Likes

Just was at g-shop, & an RG rep was in there taking they are 10-12 weeks out on products. Ouch.

2 Likes

Woof. I love their products, but everyone is having problems getting grow supplies these days.

I don’t want to go back to Michigan peat, perlite and lime and change our grow style, but we might have to in order to keep growing. The labor cost is lower, but the dry down sucks.

2 Likes

They raised there prices here 3$ a bag lately, id offer to send you whatever but im sure you can figure out a solution for what the shipping would cost.

3 Likes

They raised it by $3 here in Colorado too .

2 Likes

LOVE Tupur 10/10 Would fuck again
Yeah, you heard right!

3 Likes