Thin Film Distillation SOP - From Winterized Crude

Hello All

I used the search button and noticed there is only info in short paths. While I know it’s fairly similar. Anyone gave a SOP on thin film distillation machines? Assuming crude is winterized and decarbed

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re referring to the short path type of Thin film evaporator. If so, there are a few SOP’s discussed throughout the forum. Most here call them “Wiped Film short path”*(try this term in search bar)
If you are looking for non-short path wiped film SOP, which is often called just “wiped film evaporator or Thin-film evaporator” and has no internal condenser, having only an external condenser (not for the deep vacuum operation under 10mtorr) then there is not an “official” GLG SOP in pdf form, and there is definitely less discussion about their operation on the forum compared to WFE-SPD.

If you are a GLG member, Im pretty sure that @Kingofthekush420 shared his SOP there, and has shared the VTA SOP for the 2-pass operation (light-cut/deep-cut) in one of the threads on F42K. If memory serves me correctly, he also is a proponent of a thorough, hot decarb/de-terp to minimize load of “lights” (less than 20 carbons) on the first pass. (He will chime in here soon and clarify any points about his operational preferences and lab tests i may have missed or not stated correctly.)

There are a few different “camps” of WFE-SPD operators here who like to run these systems a bit differently, each may fight to the death that their method is the technically correct, or “best” way to operate.
In my experience the different operational philosophies expressed here on F42K all have value and their place. Which method is best for you depends on your business case, desired finished product, and upstream feedstock processing implementations/workflow.

Are you running for CBD isolate? High purity THC distillate for vapes? THC disty for edibles?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to learning more.

What is GLG? Is it a paid membership?

We are running for broad spectrum distillate

Welcome to the campfire, glad to have you here.
GLG is “goodLife gang”, and is paid membership, which you get access to alot of pre-made SOP’s and discounts from various equipment and consumables vendors. Give the search bar a try for more info on GLG (search bar: click on magnifying glass icon on top right of the page, next to your account icon)

1 Like

There’s a massive thread here somewhere on wiped film parameters, def give that search bar another whack.
Basically there are some trade-off between temp, speed, effectiveness, purity, color etc but before worrying about all that you should get a few liters distilled using typical parameter

This will give you a good starting point for temps and such

Send me your email in a DM and I’ll send you my personal SOP for the wiped film that’s up on the GLG website

10 Likes

Yes that would be GREAT!!! I’ll send you my email.

Thanks so much!! On the second cut, what should the vacuum pressure be kept at? In #3 of the final cut section of your SOP you say " vacuum level making sure that you have atleast -2Mbar or deeper"… -2Mbar is impossible to accomplish. I’m guessing you might have left something out? Appreciate the help! You the real MVP lol

-2 mbar refers to being under 100 microns on the guage

2.0 x 10^-2mtorr is 20 microns ( not sure the exact conversion from mtorr to mbar is )

To use a diff pump you have to be under 100 microns or you can ruin your diff

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpK37HZlZcM/?igshid=1x43args2o5k3

1 Like

Hey guys, I just finished my first attempt at a first pass on a 2" Pope still. My winterized crude tested (a disappointing) 63% total cannabinoid. It was 100% decarbed. The starting color was black. The color of the disty looks pretty amber in the flask, but nice yellow in a cartridge/syringe. I haven’t got the distillate tested yet, but I only got a 51% recovery not including the terp trap. This seems like a low yield to me, but then again the crude was only low 60’s. I ran super slow, drop-wise for like 4-5 hours to distill 500g.

What do you guys think about my efficiency/ 50% loss? I was pulling about .7 torr and had outer evaporator jacket set to 180C, condenser finger at 60C. I’m re-running the tails now. I had to increase the temp of the evaporator jacket to 200C to get any distillation action on the tails. Looks like I’m pulling another 50+ grams which increases my overall recovery to about 55-65%. I feel like the Pope should be working a bit better maybe I’m doing something wrong?

![IMG_4607|375x500]

When you turned the jacket up to 200 , you might be evaporating other unwanted substances from your tails. If you’re gunning to run high temp on the jacket, run your condenser higher too. Try 130 condenser. I mean you are leaving 9% behind in the residue. How much are you feeding per hour?

Are you running THC or CBD? 200C is too high for CBD.
Also, did you test your vacuum gauge? You might running higher than 0.7 torr.
I usually run at 0.1 torr when distilling. Did you have any kind of vacuum booster to help your vacuum?

I am running THC crude from a warm hexane extraction.

@densone you are saying I should be expecting 60% recovery on a first pass with starting crude in low 60’s?

@jimmytian8 Maybe my vacuum isn’t deep enough on the first pass? Too many terps present? I roto-vaped for like 8 hours during my ethanol purge from winterizing. Had no bubble in the roto. I am able to pull about 200 mtorr maximum with the apparatus empty and dry. As soon as the flow starts, vapor pressure bumps it up to about 700 mtorr. I was super anal about the joints, cleaned and greased, can’t pull any deeper. I was expecting 0.1 torr or deeper. I have an Edwards 3 pump hooked up to it. Maybe the pump needs a rebuild or oil change? It was a hand me down and I never changed the oil. Oil looks pretty clean in the window though…

Sorry for noob questions but I’m new to wiped film SPD. Any advice on how to best clean the Pope in between first pass and second pass?

You won’t get every drop of thc.

First pass vacuum level is not that important. You need to pay attention to second pass vacuum. My first pass vacuum level can be around 1-2 torr. But second pass has to be in deep vacuum.
Edwards 3 pump is not powerful enough.
Also, I have a SOP on cleaning that i wrote few month ago for Chinese 6inch wipe film distillation system.
You can take a look for reference. I can send you the .doc file if you give me your email

1 Like

Thanks @jimmytian8 you da man! Just to clarify, when you say “second pass has to be in deep vacuum” are we talking less than 1.0 torr? I have been able to vac test with the apparatus clean and dry down to 0.2 torr but not less. Are we talking 0.1 or 0.01? How low do I need to go for my 2nd pass?

Once my meter gets below 1.0 torr, it displays in militorr. I’ve been able to pull 225-280 mtorr at best. I am at 2700 ft and it has been super humid, raining outside. I have an Edwards 18 on my extractor, I can switch pumps and see if I can do better with that

You are welcome. Yes, second pass has to be much less than 1.0 torr.
In my glass wipe film, I am using Edward E2M28 (meaning dual stage), which go down to 100 militorr all the time. I also use diffusion pump as a booster, and I know a lot of people saying diffusion is not working well. But if you master it, diffusion pump can be very helpful.
Without diffusion pump, my system can remain at 150 militorr when running.
With diffusion pump, my system can remain at 50-100 militorr when running.

This is a stainless steel model I set up. It runs at 100 militorr in the second pass, pumping 6L/hr
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8KXk20hyn2/

1 Like

What temp do you use for 1st pass?