The hemp-tards are really reaching around lately

That is true, but the reactivity to perform that addition means you either need a acetic anhydride or acetyl chloride; and those would acetylate anything, or you would need an alcohol (which can be present) with an acid catalyst to perform an addition like that. Though the equilibrium would be favorable to do that, you would still need a stoichiometric ratio of acetate containing compound present.

Our first flavor synthesis was isopentyl acetate. Flavors have the right stuff but it would still be a hard reaction.

Edit:no way at 15% by weight in the distillate

1 Like

So actually, if you are heating sugars in an air free environment, you actually could get some acetylation precursors. You don’t have acid present to catalyze the reaction, but its a step. I’m assuming your gummy recipe uses standard ingredients, but if there are any odd ingredients (oils, lecithin, other emulsifiers) you could have some ingredients that coelute.

It highly depends on the methods of the lab. What solvent are they using to extract? Are they using pure ethanol, methanol/water, pure methanol, QUECHERS (acetonitrile LLE). If they are using the former 3, it is very possible for some water soluble ingredients to be tested.

1 Like

All of this speculation that is likely wasting space; they likely need to fix their methods. Can you ask them for a chromatograph? That will help us see what it is. In a lot of methods, d8 and d9 are hard to resolve because they are almost on top of each other; d8 is usually a shoulder of the d9 peak.

I’ve played with each of these variables. The cyclization step is simple, though the secondary D9 → D8 reaction kinetics are directly related to the catalyst choice.

The only thing I haven’t been able to explore (yet) is halogenated solvent systems, although with the glut of biomass these days, D9 synthesis from CBD is becoming more of a parlor trick than the attractive economic pathway that it appeared to be 6 months ago.

5 Likes

There is clearly an effect.
For instance the effect of traditional Moroccan hash (which contains about 30%-33% THC and also 2-5% CBD) is clearly smoother than their “pure” THC counterparts (about 40% thc), or thanTHC flowers.
Traditional farming practice consists in using the seeds from previous year crops for 4-5 years maximum, but then eventually restarting frop THC dominant seeds as the CBD phenos build up in the field with generations, and resulting hash ends up CBD richer and thus smoother…

Also the rational behind the sativex 1:1 formula is based on some clinical studies (I got to dig out the ref) that most (75%) tested people (includingthc naive people) do not feel the psychotropic effect of thc with such ratio.

Still, I believe there might be variations depending weither if both substance are taken together at the same time or not, also ingestion and combustion might be different, plus there might be a dose effect with thc. Maybe CBD dampening effect drops with increasing dose of thc.

2 Likes

something to be said for ion exchange for cannabinoic acids…
perhaps if you “think” your system into a simulated moving
bed format…coupled with some methy acrylate…not membrane but beads…any ways…
can you elaborate on the second statement as the meaning is not necessarily clear, sometimes popular use of “resin” may mean charged or uncharged…but you seem to be speaking about ion exchange resins.

the THC phenol is fully ionized at ph 11.5 or so… ?
can you clarify a bit? thanks

1 Like

The binding of CBD to the CB1 receptor is allosteric.
It is thought to be a negative allosteric modulator of
the THC activated CB1 (orthosteric interaction).
Because this is a classic GPCR receptor…negative modulaton
of the active site…leaves a LOT to be explained…down stream.
The cognitive description may be “more mellow” - “less stoned”…
but these are clearly emergent aspects.
One might with caveat say: CBD mellows the THC out a bit.
For those confused, CBD binds to to the THC receptor but in
a different place than THC on the receptor…“allosteric binding.”

What is an Allosteric Site of the Enzyme? - Definition & Biology - Video &  Lesson Transcript | Study.com

1 Like

@Killa12345 :joy::joy::woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

I assume he is referring to ion exchange resin beads.

I started to work with them, too.
I tried 4 different types of strong acid cation beads from PuroLite and one strong acid cation type from Lanxess/Lewatit. They had many different properties, but they all had in common, that the functional group was “sulfonic acid”.
Except one, they all lead to the same result. The best I could achieve was ~ D9 2:1 D8

Like @mitokid has already generalized. What we are basically searching for is a support bound reagent. I don’t know what other advantages a “real” ion exchange resin could have for our rxn’s, but those beads I tried (except the one, that did nothing), seem to be “support bound pTSA”, which is a sulfonic acid. Those companies won’t tell you what kind of sulfonic acid they are using, thats why its just a trial and error, if you are searching on your own.

If you have beads, that seem to have pTSA as functional group, you can’t expect results to be any different from regular pTSA. Its great for D8, but not for D9.

2 Likes

In my opinion, ion-exchange resins’ greatest benefit is their utility during work-up, consuming excesses of soluble reagents, and what they were developed for; exchanging ions.

2 Likes

The neutralization after the reaction is clean with ion exchange

I never get the color back to gold after ptsa clean up

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMFkFZIhqr9/?utm_medium=copy_link

Pink was starting material, gold is 1 bicarb wash

5 Likes

How long is your RXN runtime with the beads? Do you have to run hotter with them?

ok…some seem to be talking about R-SO3 resins as a catalyst for
CBD isomerization to D8 D9?
K of K seems to be referring to using a basic anion exchanger
for clean up of PTSA post reaction of the same isomerization???
I was referring to “separation techniques” for cannabinoic acids.

k of k reference to his membrane separation technology seemed confusing thus the query.
please ignore

1 Like

I was merely sharing my 2¢ since I was mentioned in the reply by @Labwork.

I agree that the @KingOfTheKush420 comment carries confusion potential.

As to IEX chromatography of acidic cannabinoids, I think this is of limited value since the acidic moieties are invariant, they are all resorcinylic acids. What vary are the rests of the molecules, and better handled by reverse phase LC, in my opinion.

It did nothing to me. Is there a chance some people can be immune to it?

Coincidentally, yesterday I was just thinking about all the people saying they can get D9 and D8 from yeast and other organic sources a few months ago. I also wondered where the companies that said "it was the future of d8“ are.

1 Like

That is most certainly true for d9. The yeast is not the “source”, but rather the “machinery”. It is fairly straightforward to “program” yeast by inserting the gene coding for the critical d9-THCa synthase enzyme.

Feed the yeast culture CBGa and d9-THCa will be formed. Or feed it CBGPa and d9-THCPa will be formed.

3 Likes

Entirely. The onset, the duration, the liver conversion which I guess is done by a group of liver enzymes that most the world population doesn’t have which means not everyone can feel the effects of edibles.

I was told by an e. r. doctor:

“Smoking” will never be a valid way to consume medicine because modern medicine is not “smoked” it is most commonly by digestion from by means of the oral route.

I said something like: yeah I know everyone wants me to switch to edibles but I’m unable to dose properly and I already know the duration of how long being medicated lasts (4hrs smoked, 6 hours dabbed, 14hrs a gram of rso to the face).

Then I get the “but your lungs” shpeal and I retort: Yeah I was on Depakote against my will when I was a teenager, they had to check my liver enzymes through blood tests to make sure I wasn’t succumbing to liver toxicity.

2 Likes

It feeds the culture a cannabinoid and captures the creatures again.

1 Like