The good, the bad, and the ugly of Chinese lab hardware

This thread is for talking about the good Chinese lab hardware you have personally used as well as the bad hardware you’ve used. I’ll start and im sure there will be plenty of edits as i remember the glory and horror stories that i have on this stuff over the years.

The Good:

• I’ve been running AI mantles for a few years now both 5l and 20l. Ive never had any issues with either size mantle and they were used 5-6 days a week

• I’ve ran an AI T-40 mechanical cold trap for years 5-6 days a week and never had a single issue with it

• I’ve never had an issue with appropriately sized Welch RV pumps @spdking says they are rebranded Chinese pumps *edit he explained down post they are a not chinese i got that wrong

• For the price These bottling machines are a god send for people starting tincture brands

• These water aspirator pumps have kept many rotos going for me especially if you can keep the water cold

The Bad:

• Every cheap Chinese vacuum flask i have bought has broken under vac while filtering out of a -20c freezer

• Had a chinese chiller for a roto leak some fluids onto an electronic component inside the chiller and it could have caused a fire for-sure

• Every cheap Chinese SPD i’ve encountered has a problem of endless leaks which makes you wish the roto chiller exploded and ended your suffering

4 Likes

The good: it’s cheap

The bad: it’s cheap for a reason

The ugly: that’s a fake asme stamp and your engineer won’t approve it/your wook lit himself and your facility on fire

2 Likes

You have any specific hardware you had good or bad experiences with?

1 Like

Woosung is the core casing manufacturer of welch crv pumps. The original importer was cacegen untill the manufacturer boned her and sold the line to welch. Other than the casing and some seals and everything inside they are core made in korea I think and shipped all over from xd to welch to cacejen. Woosung is a huge rip off vacuum pump company that coppies literally everyone from Edwards to leybold. Welch just slaps a label on it. You can call woosung and get those pumps delivered to your door with your name printed on it.

Also don’t put words in my mouth. All pumps will eventually work on something. But you aren’t always reaching the cusp of the vacuum range during opperation then you won’t be sinking your opperation temps and increasing efficiency. I know people who use pumps smaller than a Edwards 30 on a single pump 22l. I personally always encounter thier extended happiness when they eventually drive the vacuum cusp lower achieving a better spd performance. My 2 cents.

Also I size pumps differently. I’m not scared to add hardware to a spd to make it behave like a bat out of hell.

2 Likes

Also your insurance won’t cover you for one cent if a accident happens by a company that’s not held liable in the usa…

1 Like

Sorry about that didn’t mean to miss quote yah.

I edited my comment and my experiences ive had with those pumps shouldn’t be considered in this thread b.c. the aren’t Chinese hardware.

To get it back on topic what Chinese hardware have you used that you would consider a fail? And do you have any Chinese hardware you would consider good?

one of those blue door vac ovens, literally everything was faulty down to the electrical wiring. it did hold vacuum though after fixing all the other shit.

not a single thing from china was ever more than a straight to landfill kind of product

What kind of equipment do you use? I find it hard to believe that you don’t have any Chinese hardware in your lab. What about clamps, k clips, thermometers etc.

1 Like

No worries.

BVV sells LOTS if Chinese made products. So far I haven’t had many issues (knock on wood) but I’m just waiting for the day things fail… their return policy is horrible as well, so I’m really not looking forward to that.

do you know of their suppliers? curious on some reputable Chinese suppliers.

I have solid suppliers