The future of synthetic cannabinoids

So, in the last few years we have seen an increasing number of semisynthetic cannabinoids being manufactured and marketed. Most of these substances have no toxicology data, nor any other real study. What is the future of the alt cannabinoid market? Eventually, as more products are brought to market, we will start to obtain information about the safety of these substances.

My question I guess is what’s gonna happen? If an ever increasing list of products become available, eventually we will find one that is toxic. What will happen to the industry when that day comes?

2 Likes

This IMO is the golden questions that if you knew the answer to you’d be a millionaire

I dont see conversions going away, the thcs might go to MJ licenses from hemp when legalization happens, people will still be doing conversions though as there’s so many not scheduled cannabinoids

1 Like

I’d say the same way any Pharma’s go.

Test in vitro

Test in rats

Test in monkeys

Test in people

I’d imagine perhaps for cannabis we’d get more volunteers than average before the monkey stage but after the rat stage.

7 Likes

The only way things happen under capitalism is when someone pays for it. Who is going to pay for the research? Not the cannabis industry at it currently exists.

5 Likes

Synthetic cannabinoids are designed to circumvent the law, just to see how the law will evolve in the future.

3 Likes

Walgreens Walmart and CVS I’m sure will have the answer…

You’re living in the Golden age, this is all for a limited time. Imo. Change is the only sure thing.

4 Likes

nah Bro, the custies are paying for it right now…

4 Likes

I’d venture to say most of the synthetic cannabinoids in the hands of end users aren’t tested in the first place. How can anybody purport their own experiences with certain cannabinoids when half of them are unknowingly consuming D8 labelled as something else?

15 Likes

Ive heard whispers of all the synthetics getting banned soon in Michigan. Seems like they want to make the hemp industry pay to play, and put a paywall on owning a hemp license. I think its crazy that we allow all these products to hit the shelves with no testing, no regulations, nothing. Here in the smoke shop by my house they have every synthetic i can think of in their display, and the people working at the store don’t even understand what theyre selling. There is a huge disconnect in the hemp world between the few good processors and labs that make honest products, and the get rich quick CBD chads pumping out dirty products that have god knows what residual fuckery in them. I am all for people having access to synthetics, but i think its messed up most people that consume them have no idea what they are even smoking or how it was made. would be nice to see the customers and end users be able to have a “guranteed” experience and not the russian roullette it is now of consuming those products.

fuck pay to play
but im all for more testing and education for the consumers.

just my two cents

5 Likes

If cannabis and extracts need to be behind glass, 21 and older with IDs scanned, full panel test results on the packaging, taxed, standalone building with security away from schools, etc. then the other psychoactives need to be treated the same way.

Here in KY I’d be all for psychoactive hemp-derived dispensaries to exist if that means the governments cool their jets.

2 Likes

but you know they’ll scream “semisynthetic” and then the FDA will oversee it all

It’s just a matter of time

This stuff is all flying by because the government really didn’t understand that d8, HHC, etc are all worse than d9 but still good enough to get high

They seemed to not take hemp cannabinoids that seriously and were just blinded by trying to not harm CBD access. Regulations will catch up and the craziness will cease in my opinion but it’s not going to be because of trace contamination it will be because the smoke shops aren’t supposed to be able to compete with cannabis shops for taxable canna revenue

7 Likes

Soon as federal rec legalization hits, bye bye hemp boys! The only reason people want poop soup is because they can’t “legally” buy ganja or extracts.
To everyone in the south like me, buy a tent and be the only guy in your world with real dank. Don’t tell your stupid friends, don’t tell chicks to look cool.
You are much safer with a small clandestine grow than messing with hemp to get high, safer legally and physically.

3 Likes

People shouldn’t be allowed to sell their unstudied isomers to the masses until more research is done on them. How do you know what you’re making is safe if you don’t even have the standards to test for? What, your little chemistry degree gives you the insight to know the exact thing you’re making before it’s even been conceived? Doubt it. Anyone selling it is just greedy and not doing it for the research or good of mankind.

Like, when Albert Hoffman was making LSD his intention was to create a new analeptic medication, he wasn’t trying to synthesize a recreational drug to sell to the world for a quick buck. The intent of the govt with said chemical is a different story.

7 Likes

@moronnabis shared this in a different post, I think it was worth repeating here

2 Likes

This argument is difficult as a scientist because I can tell you based on some very basic initial research these isomers have a ton of potential medical benefits and if they are banned it will be such a process to get exemptions they will be abandoned. The other side is safety. knowledge and understanding and consent of potential side effects and purity.

2 Likes

Hoffman’s first synthesis was for that, but he went back 4-5 years later and did it again because he was stricken by the effect it had on the animal subjects the first time he made it, and he knew exactly how much to take himself.

1 Like