The Flavored Herb/The Flavor Apprentice/The perfumer's Apprentice

Hey all, I found TFA after tons of research into flavouring distillate carts and was kept away by their pg etc. content. My local terpene provider’s also selling their product, so I looked at their site again and realized they have a huge distillate specific non-glycerol containing flavor formulas as well as strain profiles and a squalane diluent. I’m mostly interested in real cannabis derived terps or wacky candy/fruit flavours above botanically derived recreated strain profiles so was really interested in their different naturaly/artificially flavoured mixes. Has anyone tried any of their product? As one of the largest DIY ejuice flavouring businesses at the moment, I trust their ability to have delicious flavours down. Almost all their mixes have technical data sheets with ingredients listed (percentages not exact) and am down with most of their ingredients and transparency. I did find one strain with menthofuran (ATF), but besides that there was a lot of very interesting flavour mixes that will add a lot to my potential carts. Any experience with them would be awesome or recomendations for non terpene flavoring for distillate carts! Thanks!

I have CDT
Have we talked yet?

Yes, we’ve talked.

I’ve been a wholesale customer of them for years. I ordered all of their terps. Great stuff, potent as hell. A lot of strains are similar though.

3 Likes

Seems the be the same problem with every other terpene vendor as well. They all smell like too much pinene has been added.

Thanks for replying, have you tried the flavored strain blends or flavor concentrates?

You name it, I’ve tried it. Their flavors are top notch and probably account for 80% of the flavors I use. I’ve been in the vape industry for over 7 years now.

The flavored strain terpenes are great, a favorite being the sunset sherbet among myself and staff.

3 Likes

This was my 1st terp company I started with. Super cheap!

2 Likes

Do you have a preferred source for non-terpene flavoring?

Food or vape?

Loranne food flavorings

Do essential oils need further processing before being used in vapes? I’ve always been worried about the other volatiles in them that are unknown/unidentified.

You can NOT use that for vaping.

That’s a food additive flavoring only. I thought you asked for that.

1 Like

I was copping from TFA last year! Used their diluted blends with the cheapo people. They have great product, but no one on their team knew how to blend the terp or what ratios to do. They onl started terps because other people were doing it. Also, buying flavors direct from them is more expensive than going to a flavor distributor, unless you are buying real bulk.

2 Likes

Vape.

I meant for vaping specifically, yeah

1 Like

It seems like some people are steam distilling cold pressed citrus oils for use in vaping, I’m not sure how that makes it more safe to vape, but cold pressed citrus essential oils are phototoxic, so I’m assuming that that process purifies out compounds that could be harmful when heated too much or exposed to uv light. I’ve vaped mixes that had organic cold pressed orange eo, not distilled and it didnt hurt me that I’m aware of. As far as cannabis essential oil goes, I’m of the opinion that as lomg as it’s not in levels above 20% of the mix, I believe we’ve basically field tested that for 1000’s of years (unlike smoking orange peels) and just vaping them feels very familiar and good to me. Of course that is totally a subjective opinion

TFA is awesome and a great baseline. Flavorwest, Inawara, and some lorannes are good too. Careful with lorannes, they use dyes and also make sure you are not mixing in any lipid essential oils(olive, peanut, etc) also as it can cause lipid pneumonia if inhaled.

4 Likes

I have steadfastly avoided loranne oils because I couldnt find any that dont have pg or some lipid based carrier oil

This is why I think distillation could work…but I think you’d need to fractional distill it. I’ve heard of people using a wiped film to process out the undesirables in essential oils. It at least makes sense in terms of feasibility but do people actually do this?

At what point of production would buying a POPE wiped film to process essential oils instead of buying terpenes and terpene blends from companies that offer as little visibility/traceability as they legally are allowed?