The Cannabis Industry needs a wake up call, and the "Vape Crisis" may just be it

The Cannabis Industry needs a wake up call, and the “vape crisis” might just be it.

With great power comes great responsibility. These simple words never cease to astound me with their relevance and ubiquity to so many aspects of life.

Recently, the cannabis industry has suffered major turbulence as a result of medical emergencies and even deaths attributed to consumption of vaporized “cannabis”. Without an easily identified lone gunman cause of these medical dysfunctions, The popular media has publicly espoused the detriments and dangers associated with vaporized cannabis consumption. Being pointed at scary and ill-defined “x-factors”, the public is left without qualified direction or education about a product that is utilized on a daily basis by millions of people.

My intent in writing this blurb at this time is not to elucidate the particular harmful ingredients, for that list would be numerous and diverse (some unscrupulous manufacturers would sell you epoxy in a cartridge if they could). My intent, rather, is to shed some light onto a concept that desperately needs repeating. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

The Great Power, in this context, is the extremely diverse, ultra-convenient, and decently priced access to cannabis and its constituents in an easy-to-consume fashion. But what needs desperately to be realized with our desire for consumption, is that these products can easily be contaminated with outright dangerous ingredients and bootlegged consumption hardware. Anyone with a credit card can buy knock off name brand vape cartridge packaging by the thousands, mix up any number of “hopefully cannabinoids and essential oil molecules” with “hopefully safe viscosity aid,” and throw it into a “hopefully well-made vape cartridge”.

The vaporizer is, in its true form, an incredibly misunderstood medical device, responsible for safely administering compounds using very elevated temperatures, over and over again, without burning the product of itself. That’s not as simple as pushing a dose of powder out of an aerosol inhaler, or the steady fog of a nebulizer. Yet its regarded by many of its consumers to be a disposable afterthought.

Frankly, the majority of vape cartridges in the legal/boutique markets are made with mostly adequate hardware. It’s the random packages of easily recognizable and often bootlegged Dank, Fruit Loops, and SUPREME, or California brand Cookies or Brass Knuckles. If this is what you have access too, than more than likely you’re not getting the heathiest product. At this point, you’d be lucky to have weak, diluted product. The unluckiest of consumers will be subject to irritating viscosity agents, burning hardware, and even synthetic potentially neurotoxic cannabinoids, bought from Chinese factories just miles from where the vaporizers were made.

But let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Our great responsibility is to ensure that the methods of consumption we use are not hurting us at the same time. As I’ve found reflects in most things in life, you get what you pay for. By picking from the low hanging fruit, you’re gambling with the rotten. If you’re buying premium vape pens from a trusted source who should happily provide proof of analysis, then you’re probably good. If you’re buying a 10$ unit on the street, beware. Cannabis is not that difficult to grow in a closet, and it can easily be mixed with food oils or alcohols to create discrete consumables. We certainly don’t need to jeopardize our health chasing it.

13 Likes

Maybe a better title would be…the cannabis blackmarket needs a wake up call?

As far as I know there’s only been one cartridge linked to a dispensary in the entire US.

2 Likes

One or two in Oregon from a store

2 Likes

We are currently going through this in Washington, and I couldn’t agree more. Jay Inslee just banned all flavored vapor products, cannabis or nicotine, and defined “flavors” as anything not derived directly and solely from cannabis/tobacco. What is the reaction of the largest Producer/Processor and Retailer run advocacy group in WA? They push as hard as they can to change the definition so they can keep selling their cut cartridges with who knows what in them. I’m not saying that fruit flavorings/botanically derived terpenes are necessarily bad, but we just don’t know enough about them yet to allow people to use them in the fashion that they have been. Especially since we DO know that if you mix too many terps into things it can have a caustic/burning effect on your throat and lungs. People in this industry (legal and illegal) have already demonstrated that they don’t mind cutting corners if it means saving a few bucks so why would we trust them to use responsible amounts of these unknown compounds?

It’s sad, this is a great opportunity for states with legal cannabis to set a sterling example of how to do things properly, how to create the highest quality and purity cannabis products they can. I feel like this would go a long way to demonstrating how legalization does elevate the medium and raise the standards, creating safer and better products for all. But everyone is just throwing a hissy fit cause they can’t buy their 55 gallon barrels of “gelato” any more and they built their entire business model around using these untested compounds.

5 Likes

I remember this one. Was there another case linked to a dispensary somewhere?

@WolfeXtracts ehh i see what youre saying but people are gonna be looking for the best deal, no matter the regulatory situation.

I could’ve been confused but I thought it was the two in Oregon were found bought from olcc regulated shops

That’s fair.

I was correct

Five people from legal shops in OR so far, two people died.

https://www.kezi.com/content/news/8-vaping-lung-illness-cases-reported-in-Oregon-561907801.html

State health officials say three additional cases of severe lung illnesses linked to vaping have been reported, bringing the total to eight.

The Oregon Health Authority said last week that two Oregon victims had died. That escalation prompted the state, lawmakers and Gov. Kate Brown to launch a barrage of anti-vaping messaging, including calls for action.

The Oregonian/OregonLive reports the five victims Oregon officials reported last week all shopped at legal retail marijuana stores. A health authority spokesman did not say if the three new cases did, too.

1 Like

Five people total from OR shoped at legal shops. 8 total cases so far in OR.

5 omg and my silly ass is smoking my own, but I would be hurt if I was doing something wrong. Everyone around me would be hurt. Like what the fuck is going on? Maybe I have imposter syndrome. Doubt it. Maybe a different kind of syndrome lol maybe because mine are cbd any negative reaction is immediately cured by the cbd and we just can’t legally say that… lol

2 Likes

In case you haven’t seen this yet. I’m updating once I have time later today or tomorrow:

300+ I’ve made. Zero issues. I smoke/vape whatbi make and grow.

Elcheapo plastic wick carts
Then upgraded to
Ccell knockoffs
Then upgraded to
Ascents new ceramics

5 Likes

Appreciate the link. 5 sick and 2 dead is plenty IMO to consider it a serious problem in legal cannabis as well.

1 Like

Cusp of legalization.

you do realize a lot of these “black market carts” are actually coming from “legal” producers right? legal producers oil fails for pesticides, mycotoxins, heavy metals etc but they cant bear to destroy it and take a loss so they destroy a jar of honey on camera and take home the jar of distillate that failed lab testing to be made into black market carts lol. this shit has been happening for years here in wa state

3 Likes

I guess you hang around a lot more crooked extractors than I do. I literally don’t know a single peer, throughout the entire US using anything that would knowingly hurt someone in a Vape cart. Blackmarket or otherwise. Clearly theyre out there, but no where near my circle :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

IMO anyone pushing pesticides, or additives that can kill or permanently injure a person, are no better than your local heroin dealer. Hopefully light being shined on them will at least push them further into the nooks and crannies.

2 Likes

These threads have becone dj khalid. “Another one” is what it should be titled.

5 Likes