The C.R.V. is here! Lets talk Agitation

, ,

Have you accomplished isolation at scale without distillation?

2 Likes

Its not part of our current SOP due to the fact that the senior partners spent a bunch of money on a WFE and don’t want to see it sit around, but we do distillate free isolation on a smaller scale occaisionally. I only bring this up as an R&D project for others to scale up on their own.

Some CO2 expanded ethanol extraction systems do this with highly selective filtration before removing CO2.

6 Likes

You’re missing what I’m saying

There comes a point where THC and impurities WILL inhibit your crystal growth.

You’re saying this can replace distillation and it cant if you care about yields.

If you take your 80% TAC “crude” and run it though 1 pass of distillation itll probably put you above 95%

95% TAC will produce alot more isolate than 80% TAC

Theres a point where your impurities prevent crystallization so higher purity = higher yield

Also

Let’s say you’re doing chromatography to remediate thc from your left over mother liquor, not distilling will cost you more as you’ll have a less pure product to start there for costing you more media to do the same amount of work.

3 Likes

Distillation won’t make it easier to separate cannabinoids during chromatography, but it would make it easier to take out everything else. What if you want from CRC to a mediocre chromatography column? Is think that would reach above standard distillate potency.

2 Likes

That doesn’t change the current simplicity of purification by distillation though

I’m not saying it makes it easier, it makes it more efficient.

If you have cbd at 80% TAC and crystallize it your isolate yield will be worse than it you started with better material ( like 95% TAC)

This leaves more things behind in the mother liquor requiring more work and media to do remediation.

Let’s break the math down

1 kg 80% TAC —> yields 70% (this is just a guess) this leaves 300 grams in the ML

1 KG 95% TAC —> yields 80% ( this is just a guess again)
Leaves 200 grams in the mother liquir.

If you use 1:1 mother liquor to chromatography media you’ll get 5 batches of mother liquor remediated with the 95% potency vs 3.33 of the other.

Maybe I’m tripping though.

I dont see how removing such an easy step to get such high purity could ever be worth it

I personally think starting with the highest quality product before isolation is key to yields,

Adding CRC into your SOP will definely improve purity, color and yields. I dont think it can replace distillation though.

6 Likes

I wonder what pressure’s influence on the isomerization reaction is. I wonder if the effect is comparable to the influence heat has the reaction.

Is pressurizing the cannabinoids in the presence of low/no heat but high pressure going to cause isomerization of the cannabinoids?

2 Likes

Has anybody played around with on-line isomerization?

1 Like

Like in a reactor?

Yes sir

1 Like

Should be no problem, as long as the correct acidic conditions and heat requirements are met for the conversion.It is probably a more ideal environment than a short path.
Where you ats’ @QGA !

5 Likes

So…is nitrogen adsorbable?
I’ve noticed when I agitate with nitrogen I get more color…I’m guessing the nitrogen is taking up adsorbtion spots… could this be?

2 Likes

Nitrogen is completely inert and should not be bonding with anything afaik. @MagisterChemist @anon93688
Being that t-5 is coated in negative charges with hydrogen’s on them and b80 is covered in carboxylic acids, could nitrogen gas interact with these sites under the range of conditions: 0 psi to 300 psi, -100°C to 100°C

Distillate sux. Of course crc will replace distillation. Disty smokers :clown_face::clown_face:

6 Likes

Sweet reactor!

Falling Formulations has 45 gallon setups for 5k!!!

I Got two from them!

They also have a plug on the motor I believe

I just didn’t have a use fer it

I asked if they can do filter drain on the bottom. For crystallization reactors, and that was a big yes as well! :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The reason I bring this up is because I noticed more color with agitation from nitrogen…then I saw a video claiming certain adsorbents like silica and carbon can adsorb nitrogen. I’m just trying to figure out why I get more color using nitro. Also noticed nitro moves slower through the powders

1 Like

With the new membrane tech coming out you’ll be able to seperate terpenes out of your crude before you distill it.

Distillate will never to away

3 Likes

Neither will McDonald’s.

I’m not hating on the hustlers making money just the idea of being on a deserted island and only having distilled oil and botanical terpenes sounds lame to me.

I guess I could start infusing my crc stuff with distillate for carts but at that point why not just go full crc @StoneD seems to have had some success and that is much more appealing to me. The only reason I’d add distillate is to lower the price point

7 Likes

Has anyone tried percolating CO2 into a vessel with cannabinoids in a hydrocarbon?

4 Likes

What reaction would the co2 cause?