The C.R.V. is here! Lets talk Agitation

, ,

Hey all, at long last the Color Remediation Vessel is here!
The one that is ready to go is an 80L vessel with a brushless, sparkles, explosion-proof motor to agitate the mixture in the vessel. The vessel can hold up to 145 psi, even while mixing. The Color Remediation Vessel can be pre-loaded with powders or the powders can be loaded mid-run. It has a jacket for temperature control and a lot of insulation.

With all that said, I’d like this thread to be a discussion of the efficacy of purifying concentrates in an agitated vessel as opposed to through a column. I know @Waxplug1 has much to share around the benefits of increased contact times with your powders.

Along with butane/propane in-line remediation, these methods work quite well in remediation of crude while in heavier hydrocarbons like hexane/heptane. @cyclopath @Shadownaught @Kingofthekush420 do you have experience with this?

I’d also like to explore different modes of agitation while our concentrates are in contact with our adsorbents. Sonication and mechanical agitation come to mind. What else might be interesting to explore? @MagisterChemist @anon93688 @Photon_noir

We know adsorbants become more effective with higher temps and increased contact times, so let’s start exploring that!

15 Likes

@Roguelab @CuriousChemist22 @coppertop @Rowan @ScoobyDoobie @tweedledew @dred_pirate

4 Likes

Awesome! Can we see pix?!!

Google Photos

Edit: posted diagram

11 Likes

So this is nothing more than a jacketed reactor or is there something else to it?

8 Likes

It really is that simple. It’s just a customized reactor with some bells and whistles, specified for our industry and uses. That’s why I’d like this thread to focus on the science of remediation over this specific design. Those interested in the design are welcome to DM me for more details.

4 Likes

i dig the belt drive! its going to be a pain to remove the whole vessel head to clean. any CIP planned?

2 Likes

I’ve heard some rumors of ultrasonic being able to overcome the color remediation issues of alcohols with bleaching clays. Would be pretty cool if you could do that.

Maybe also put a fine filter disk at the bottom so you can use pressure to drain it.

5 Likes

price point?

1 Like

I’ll dm you.

The filter plate in it is removable. The entire lid can be removed for occasional cleaning. Or you can spray off the walls with a wall cleaning attachment.

2 Likes

So 2 agitators along the shaft and a filter plate at the bottom? Price point? Can you send me actual pics of the unit? I may get one just to R&D

How do you remove the filter plate to clean it or line it with papers? Does the bottom unclamp and swing open?

We will be including a bottom-opening hatch in the next version. I will dm you with price

1 Like

Might as well dm all of us :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

How effective is this solution for an isopropyl/ethanol extract? Would the extract need to be evaporated and then introduced to a hydrocarbon such as Hexane?

1 Like

Certain scrubbing techniques are effective in alcohol solutions. @Siosis can consult on this. Greatest efficacy comes from being in hydrocarbons

3 Likes

I would be interested in seeing results of scrubbing in ethanol at temperatures above typical bp. 125 C ethanol will generate vapor pressure of ~70 psi.

5 Likes

Sonication assists absorbents like a boss.

11 Likes

This vessel could entirely be used for this and I too would be extremely interested to see the results of this. Would hydrogen bo ding I reactions change at these temps in relation to adsorbent efficacy?