The bar industry is better than the cannabis industry; prove me wrong

Lol fuck the cannabis industry pay rates. I’m making more being a fucking bar back than any of these postings. I’m glad I got out when I did

14 Likes

Not in the game no more bro?

Nah haven’t been for like 4-6 months now. Moved out of LA and am up in Auburn now. It’s super nice up here

7 Likes

You make 120k a year as a bar back?

He just posted a lab director position for that much

But yeah if you were just getting payed to turn knobs probably better to get paid to cut limes and wash glasses and get ice.

Labor is only worth the cost of labor sadly , it’s on you to develop skills and experience to make you more than labor.

4 Likes

Auburn Washington?

4 Likes

Auburn, CA? If so your right down the highway. Let’s meet up.

2 Likes

I understand your point here, and I agree that directing a company to success is very challenging and should be compensated appropriately… but I will never agree that techs should earn less than $25 /hr (or local equivalent to live very comfortably). Extraction systems can go catastrophic with minimal user error and blow up the entire building, and there are nuances to making good product and sometimes the difference of 1 minute in taking action can define A grade vs unsellable. Extraction, post processing, and distillation is lab work, it requires competent employees and high attention to detail. Plus it’s difficult- physically challenging work in loud and messy conditions.

Personally I feel that the people who are solely responsible for the quality of the Product, techs, should be given respect and paid well. They are often the ones developing the SOP’s that the company steals as company IP, and often juggle 3-4 roles disguised as one in order to cut costs. I have worked under many “C” level and director level people and MAYBE 20% of them were functional adults with the skills their job required. I dont know how these people land these positions getting paid 2X or more of any other employee. They don’t do hardly any work they just push tasks and blame onto everyone around them. I’m sure there are companies where this isn’t the case but it seems rare from my experience.

17 Likes

damn when did certified cls units inside of c1d1 start blowing up buildings?

I understand what you are saying but i would place an extraction technician below a diesel mechanic in terms of skills to be a worker thus placing them below them in earnings and diesel mechanics are still below that 25 where im at

And as good as all that sounds the industry hires people for less and surprisingly dabs are being made and sold to this very day with all these buildings blowing up everywhere

what do you think c-suite people do that a knob turner and slab flipper and tube doesnt ? Do you think the restaurant manager or regional gm for the chain should get the same pay as the burger flipper?

you lack of understanding about how businesses are run in america helps me why you are upset, ignorance on subjects often leads to confusion and hard to understand feelings.

2 Likes

Yup auburn ca. I love it up here

5 Likes

So much better than LA life. Welcome to the area

1 Like

Let’s link up sometime!

I see many just like you, tried their best to weather the storms that come with the territory. I took have left. If you like rants, keep reading!

It’s crazy how many of us have been doing REC since day 1 (January 2017). Sure, there were medical programs, pop-up flea markets, etc previous to that date. But at a minimum we’ve all been in for 6 years this month.

In any other career, 6 years would allow most people ample time to progress, certify, and likely become educated to a Journeyman proficiency in something: be it Extraction, Production, Analytical Chemistry, Joint/Edible/topical formulations of various balms, lubes, creams, etc and packaging. Many of us here have done all these things and more. We just didn’t get those official continuing education credits those in the trades and sciences normally get.

We are still quite early it seems.

I do feel pretty lucky that I was able to transport a ton of weed on the books before legalization…but I still have a sinking feeling in my stomach. Hemp, Med/rec, mushrooms wellness, each entered and nobody has any proof they even participated. Y’all ever got an award at a banquet in cannabis? It’s not normal.

On top of that, we’ve all also done cartridges, independent Farm Sales and wholesale brokering. We all handled shipping and receiving (many of y’all are forklift cert’d!), have customer service voices, and various forms of inventory where 1 item being counted wrong could lead to a Category violation, and usually results in some some “extra pressure” to fire employees instead of developing them. 450% turnover year over year. All because there’s and endless stream of bodies waiting to pour in.

It took me 6 years to realize that if you aren’t a stakeholder in a ‘cannibuisiness’, whether directly working with cannabis as a license holder in some category or filling a gap by selling shovels to the industry somehow, you may have a bad time…

This deserves its own thread. I didn’t realize until I had left recently as well. “Many will build, few will profit.”

FWIW, I now phone-sell takeout menus to plaza mall businesses, a couple hundred times a day. I’ll continue to stay current with cannabis and it’s accessories, and I’ll just say I was brushing up on my salesman accent in another dimension. But for now I want one of those Maslow triangles :slight_smile:

First commission on sales I’ve ever received was after I left cannabis this week, also the first time my health insurance has been covered, first time I’ve been clothes shopping in 6 years, and had two weeks off (unpaid time between cannabis and sales).

We’ve all been in a startup meat grinder disguised as a job working in cannabis at some point. It just sucks hearing about the casualties of people who did the right things and still didn’t survive without shifting away to another industry.

/Rant

Love y’all, just having a sit down. Wishing everyone here just a bit more luck. Don’t give up, just regroup lol.

IGT_Summer2019_Hemp_PlanttoProduct_6-768x511~2

Still wearing these shoes from when I first discovered the Future! Been pinching pennies the entire time, at least we’ve gotten a few T-shirts (or 30…)

14 Likes

Certified CLS units can explode, c1d1 booths dont reduce the intensity of an explosion. Our entire operations are built around preventing hazards, and they still occur, so clearly its a dangerous job. You are cracking jokes about a very real and very serious component of our industry that no one denies. The fact is if it WASNT so dangerous Type 7 licenses would be easy to get, we wouldn’t be inspected by multiple agencies in state and local, and we wouldn’t be paying green tax on systems that also get 3rd party installed and tested. People who work oil fields, high rises, and other dangerous roles make good money. Have you considered that clout chasers are creating a falsely low standard on wages, and these idiots never last long? The sentiment on this forum lately, and as described below by @SpookyDistillation is that the competent techs and experienced vets don’t think it’s worth staying in the industry. That’s because markets are crashing due to incompetent structuring, mso’s are operating at a loss and tanking prices, and clout chasers are filling jobs at low wages with quick turnover once they realize what the job entails. The problem with C level people in cannabis is that they are either trap vets who aren’t good at running businesses, or they are business people who know nothing about cannabis. It’s rare that a person can fit the C level role and be a genuine cannabis enthusiast. Oh and I have a degree in business so you couldn’t be more wrong on that personal attack.

9 Likes

None of your above statement applies to me so maybe save it for someone that does.

Appreciate your 2 cents tho

@Killa12345 can you take all this stuff out please.

This is literally one of the best threads due to the hard work of @Darrenjaydirect and it needs to stay on topic due to the very valuable nature of all this stuff. This thread literally can change people’s lives.

3 Likes

Absolutely

Thanks, @Killa12345

2 Likes

The bar industry is better than the cannabis industry; prove me wrong

Go hang out with Thumper for a night. I’m not sure I could handle that type of company every night.

Glad your making Benjamins.

5 Likes

You got a consistent job as a lab manager that’s not gonna be gone in 3 months? Or 6 months or a year? I’m over the current state of the industry and not willing to bet on one of the many offers I’ve had being lab director/manager of a company that might not even be there in a year. Sure plenty of people are, I’m not trying to chase jobs from state to state. I have an offer in Canada for 100k and one in Colorado, but not taking it. I have zero faith in any cannabis company. I’ve seen way too many go under and too many due to shady investors or ridiculous valuations. Including my lab in Los Angeles I ran for a few years. 10 years in the California medical days building my brand and we were in 300+ dispensaries. A few years in the rec market and investors/ceo was stealing funds. But for a slight pay decrease I’ll gladly take it than work in this ugly (for the most part) industry. Now I’m gonna be distilling and brewing alcohol which was my first career. After my lab closed I ran two others…they still owe me money for time and SOPs

7 Likes

And also huuuge props to @Darrenjaydirect for putting this thread together. It definitely linked me with a few people for consults. Thank you!

Hmu I’m in auburn on and off

It’s where I did all my nano filtration r and d

4 Likes