THCp Synthesis

Is that seriously happening? I didn’t think JWH-18 was even around anymore. I remember stupidity doing that shit when I was young and dumb. I had a friend who would order it straight from china in powder form. From my understanding China banned it and it’s extremely rare now. China is still producing many other synthetic cannabinoids such as NM-2201, AM-2001, THJ-2001, AB-FUB and many more. I always wonder where all the synthetic from china end up because I haven’t seen or heard of anyone using anything like spice or k2 in many years. They clearly have a high demand for synthetics or china wouldn’t be producing so many at the rate they produce synthetics at. I just wonder where all of it ends up!

2 Likes

Europe

9 Likes

They end up sprayed on hemp in Europe and sold as regular weed

7 Likes

Yep the 1986 amendment to the control substance act covers all analogs, and if you think you can somehow bypass it, you’re going to end up in “Club Fed” asking people to send you money for commissary. (As a point of interest- it was specifically brought about because in 1984 MDMA became illegal so people started making MDEA, MMMA, MMEA, etc etc and so the DEA in 1986 closed that loophole)

And yet d8, d10, THC-O, etc. etc. etc.

3 Likes

I think the Farm Bill being an act of Congress ,signed, and inacted created
a de facto “grey area” when it comes to the “all derivatives” clause.
Make what you like according to State laws…if possible.
Now when you move your goodies over a State line…i.e., the Interstate Transport
of such and such…or claiming your goodie is a food product and not plywood glue…
I think one “may” run into a little darker grey area.
They don’t have to come to get you…they can flip the switch at your bank…tell you to drop by with your lawyer at your convenience.

4 Likes

Approximately 10 months ago China banned all synthetic cannabinoids. In my experience, when this happens production shifts to other countries or stops completely. Chinese exporters don’t appear to care about the legality of their exports in their customer’s country, but they do appear to be quite mindful of their own drug laws for the most part.

4 Likes

On the 1 of July all synthetic cannabinoids where illegalized so they now send two chemical compounds that usually only need a one step synthesis and cleanup to become a noid laws are pretty useless for this
Legalization is THE answer it really is
Laos will be the next producer not sure why India didn’t pick up space in the void

9 Likes

Haven’t been following things as closely as I used to, thanks for the update. They are definitely always quick with a work around though.

1 Like

They might have been banned 10 months ago but if you get on the onion, they are still being advertised by Chinese companies. There doesn’t seem to he a scarcity of RC cannabinoid. From my understanding, the Chineses government will change laws to appease the rest of the world but they don’t really enforce the laws.

1 Like

Always has been.

The difference being in China, when they decide to enforce those laws people get executed.

6 Likes

It was my understanding that the same enzyme was responsible for CBGa>THCa as well as CBGa>CBDa, which is neat. I’m curious if this understanding has changed in the five or so years since someone presented on the promiscuous enzyme at emerald. Always wondered what the relevant mechanic was for strain ratios was if it’s actually the case

At this year’s emerald someone mentioned it was 2 different enzymes fueling 2 different pathways from CBGa to THCa and CBDa. Hence why high CBD plants generally have low THC and vice versa. There was also a good presentation on terpene synthesis and the chirality of most of them (like R/S-limonene).

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect one enzyme to use the same substrate to make two different products

Try looking up the concept of photorespiration. Oxygen competes with CO2 at the point of carbon fixation. One enzyme (RUBISCO), two possible products, depending on concentration of those gases.

1 Like

“Same” enzyme from an evolutionary point of view.

Duplication then divergence.

Possibly even “same” from a genomic location point of view. ie “allelic”.

Except we seem to have selected for additional rearrangements and duplications in the last couple of thousand years (which makes “allelic” somewhat complicated) is my take on it without diving into the primary sequence data or (re) reading the relevant publications.

From a biochemical standpoint, they are essentially identical (84% aa identity), and can both perform both conversations depending on reaction conditions.

this may provide more insight: Sequence heterogeneity of cannabidiolic- and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid-synthase in Cannabis sativa L. and its relationship with chemical phenotype - ScienceDirect

The amount of variation was found to be higher within the CBDAS sequence family than in the THCAS family, suggesting a more recent evolution of THCA-forming enzymes from the CBDAS group. We therefore consider CBDAS as the ancestral type of these synthases.

(Sci-Hub | Sequence heterogeneity of cannabidiolic- and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid-synthase in Cannabis sativa L. and its relationship with chemical phenotype | 10.1016/j.phytochem.2015.03.006)

It has been previously proposed that the genes coding for the functional THCA- and CBDA-synthase (indicated as BT and BD) were allelic and codominant, and that the CBDA/THCA ratio of the heterozygous plants was invariably close to unity, due to the inher- ent kinetic properties of the two synthases simultaneously present in the BD/BT genotypes. This has been demonstrated by genetic analysis in THCA vs. CBDA scatter plots of heterozygous plants (de Meijer et al., 2003).
[…snip…]
Following these works, the genetics behind the main known Cannabis chemotypes, has been largely elucidated (de Meijer et al., 2003; Mandolino et al., 2003; de Meijer and Hammond, 2005; de Meijer et al., 2009a,b). In the current model, THCA- and CBDA-synthases are coded for by two alleles, BT and BD, but it is hypothesized that allelic and/or non-allelic variations may exist and explain the chemotype variation present in Cannabis germ- plasm.

12 Likes

thank you

1 Like

There are three relevant synthases; THCa synthase, CBDa synthase, and CBCa synthase. Each using CBGa as substrate.

5 Likes

Interestingly, THCp was already researched as a JWH compound (JWH-091) although it has a wildly different structure than JWH-018. They’re both full agonists though which is the scary part imo.

1 Like