THCa isolate from 2015

Had this lying around for 4-5 years. I can’t believe I found this laying in a box of old forgotten terpenes. still looks almost as good as the day it was produced. this strengthens my theory that THCA degradation and conversion to new Cannabinoids is caused by the lipids, terps and oil of the plant. Once you remove all the other constituents, the THCa remains stable and active. Just took a dab and got stoned so it’s not changed. Wish I had an analytics lab to do a controlled 5-10 year study of THCa isolate :face_with_monocle:

16 Likes

Crystalline THCa tends to be more resistant to degradation than amorphous THCa

4 Likes

And what about UVs ? Or temperature ?

Did you keep this jar room temp ?
It may be notably decarbed now.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the crystalline structure fall if decarb

I say it’s most likely thca still protected by the crystalline structure or something

6 Likes

But if decarbed, wouldnt it lose its ability to remove in a crystalline form?:thinking:

2 Likes

Great minds think alike :green_heart::facepunch::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I am finding this rather intriguing. I had misplaced some old style brick hash for a few years. I’ve been thinking it would have degraded to CBN by now. Now I wonder if it hasnt. :thinking:

2 Likes

Brick hash would most likely changed some

This would probably only play to sugar or stones I’d think

Brick hash contains fats and lipids I believe. But I really dont know what ur considering hash

2 Likes

Well not BHO. You know the old style brown brick hash. Solid rock, that crushes into a fine powder. Crushes easier with a tiny bit of heat applied to it.:flushed:

2 Likes

Good old brick hash. Real brick hash.

Kids these days dont even know what that is

10 Likes

Lol that’s the truth!
Been talking with a fellow member on seeing it anything can be extracted from it. Was thinking it may have a decent amount of CBN after 4+ years. But with out inhouse analytics, its anyone’s guess I suppose :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have a one gram THCa crystal (first crystal I ever made) I’ve been saving for over a year, and don’t plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Looks exactly the same as the day I made it.

6 Likes

Room temp in a box. So no UV exposure. I have other grams from the same time period that have definitely changed. They were in a different style container that I assume wasn’t sealed properly so they had some oxidation. Definitely darker and a little stale but still hits stronger then anything I can buy from the dispensaries.

I definitely agree that higher temperatures and UV exposure can degrade even isolated cannabinoids but if those factors are eliminated you get the picture above. Which means if stored in a dark cool place like a fridge, it would probably never noticeably change to the naked eye and under analytic testing probably wouldn’t have Changed much if at all. I’ve never seen a concentrate hold up so well after 5 years let alone 1 year.

3 Likes

I bet it has converted quite a bit due to the impurity’s left in the hash like plant matter, oil, and locked in terpenes

2 Likes

What conditions do you have it in? I’ve seen diamonds turn amber over time due to oxidizing and UV exposure.

Cool and dark area in a sealed jar I presume?

Heres some THCa from the same year from a different container that was not airtight

Same box, no UV expose at room temp for 4-5 years. Noticeably different but amazing all the same

2 Likes

Yeah exactly. Not sure if the jar is sealed or not. It’s one of those little 1g child proof jars

That’s interesting looking

1 Like

3 Likes

Oh yeah, definitely not hermetically sealed but I’d still dab it :+1:t4: